snowcat

Who pays for your immigration fees?

38 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

My husband and I don't split our costs like that.... It's not "your" money, it's OUR money, so for the immigration package I wouldn't be able to tell you who paid it because both of us did. 

To me, money management is a major issue and you need to be on the same boat, especially now that you're married and maybe planning on having a family. Not having the same parameters can be a red flag. But that's just me.

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

If I am the "immigrant", and if I have the money and income, then I will pay for it myself.  That's what I did, and I did not allow the issue to come up, or expect the other person to pay for anything.

Hubs paid the bills, I did the paperwork.  

Kinda similar to now.  Hubs pays most of the bills, I pitch in (because I make 1/2 of what he does) and buy our extras and fun stuff.  Neither of us would be able to do what we do now alone so it's shared.  I do more housework, he pays more bills. In his opinion it's his job to provide for me. To make sure I have a roof and food.  I don't have to work and we would be okay, but it's nice to contribute to our lives financially. 

People should do what makes them feel comfortable as a couple and have those discussions as well.  Finances is a HUGE deal in marriage.  People get divorced and have arguments over finances and intimacy the most.  Open and effective communication is key. 

Edited by NikLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

We have joint finances and share everything, so obviously both of us pay, together.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Portugal
Timeline

My spouse has paid for most of my immigration costs. I pitched in by selling my car during the AOS. In our personal case, there was never an expectation for me to be the one covering the fees and I have been clear with him about costs since the beginning. He knows how much everything costs and when it must be paid and we prepare/adjust accordingly.

AOS

Spoiler

12/28/2017 - Concurrent filing of I-130 and I-485

01/08/2018 - Rejection of I-485 based on incorrect payment (forgot biometrics fee!) 

03/05/2018 - Re-submitting of I-130 and I-485

03/07/2018 - Package received at Chicago Lockbox

03/20/2018 - NOA1 received by email

03/23/2018 - Form 179-C received for I-130, I-131, I-485, and I-765

03/27/2018 - Biometrics letter received for appointment on 04/13

04/13/2018 - Biometrics appointment

05/23/2018 - Interview scheduled for 06/27

06/11/2018 - Medical exam done

06/27/2018 - Interview (no decision)

06/29/2018 - APPROVED!

07/06/2018 - GC in hand!

ROC

Spoiler

04/08/2020 - Sent I-751 form with evidence via UPS

04/14/2020 - Package delivered at Phoenix, AZ lockbox

04/20/2020 - Certified check cashed

04/23/2020 - I-797 NOA received

05/13/2020 - Fingerprints applied to case (due to COVID-19)

12/10/2021 - Case jurisdiction moved

01/18/2022 - Card in production/case approved

01/24/2022 - Card in hand

Naturalization

Spoiler

10/30/2021 - N-400 filed online

10/30/2021 - Biometrics reused (no biometric appt needed)

08/04/2022 - Interview scheduled for 09/13

09/13/2022 - Interview, passed

11/18/2022 - Oath ceremony

event.png

I paid most of the fees so far and we used some of our Xmas money my mom gave us for aos. She has a job now and we both put all money in a joint account and she can spend whatever she wants as long as there is enough for the bills/food and some for savings. I’m a simple person So I don’t require much and have a hard time spending. Our bills/food comes to about 2200 a month and we make around 6k a month together. She buys some stuff but doesn’t go crazy and I’ve been wanting a $500 grill for about 4 months now and still haven’t brought myself to pull the trigger lol.

14 hours ago, snowcat said:

For immigrants, I guess particularly those who immigrated through marriage, who pays for your immigration fees? Is it you (the immigrant) yourself, your US Citizen spouse, or do you split the cost? Just curious.

My husband has helped me pay for mine, but has also argued that I should probably shoulder the full cost since it's my immigration, not his (we both work full-time, though he earns a bit more than me). Just want to note that he's not an(removed) or anything 😅he's actually a great husband, and will help me pay for stuff if we discuss it, but that's just his rationale and I'm wondering how many other couples have the same argument lol.

K1 filing fee - he paid

Document requirements from Manila - I paid

Travel and lodging expenses - I paid

Medical - I paid

Air ticket to USA - I paid most of it, he contributed $500

Monetary gift money - I paid (supposed to be 50/50 but it's ok. It's just something that we talked about on the side but he was not able to follow through. His mom's still happy with the cash)

Marriage license - I paid

Marriage certificate and courthouse wedding - he paid (he got annoyed when I tried to pay. Lol)

Driving license - he paid

AOS and biometrics - he paid

Right now, our strategy is he pays all the debt he acquired before marriage and I will pay for all the bills, insurance and groceries. We have the same income. So far, this is working great and we're so close to being debt-free.

Managing finances is still a challenge for me as a couple as I am very strict with finances and has a completely different strategy than my husband. The great thing about him is he is always willing to talk to me and do 'financial meetings' with me and agree or disagree on my plans. I think in the beginning, our life kind of begins as working as a team and I trust him and have confidence with him as a mate. So I know that even our plans and decisions together or as individual may not be the best, I know he always have our best interest in mind.

Having said that, my husband will never say "it's yours..." or "it's mine..." and kind of get annoyed when I do that like when I object to putting my name on the house deed as it's "his house" and it should be passed down to his family line because it's an inheritance. He told me that he trust that when time comes, I will be fair and will know what to do.

I hope you guys figure it out and talk about things that matters.

New Petition:

Apr 5,  2023: Naturalization

Apr 6, 2023: I-130 for my mother

Apr 6, 2023: NOA1

Apr 9, 2024: Approved

Apr 13, 2024: Sent to NVC

Apr 18, 2024: Received email fr NVC and paid the AOS/IV fee

Apr 23, 2024: CEAC website shows "Paid"

Apr 25, 2024: Uploaded Civil and Financial documents

May 1, 2024: Documents accepted except for marriage certificate (unreadable) and death certificate (wrong file)

May 3, 2024: Ordered marriage certificate and death certificate from PSA online

May 9, 2024: Received email from PSA that marriage cert is blurred/eligible--will need 15 more days for reverification

May 22, 2024: Marriage Cert received from PSA (death cert was delivered 2 weeks earlier)

May 23, 2024: Uploaded new files to the CEAC website

May 29, 2024: Documentary Qualified

14 hours ago, snowcat said:

For immigrants, I guess particularly those who immigrated through marriage, who pays for your immigration fees? Is it you (the immigrant) yourself, your US Citizen spouse, or do you split the cost? Just curious.

My husband has helped me pay for mine, but has also argued that I should probably shoulder the full cost since it's my immigration, not his (we both work full-time, though he earns a bit more than me). Just want to note that he's not an(removed) or anything 😅he's actually a great husband, and will help me pay for stuff if we discuss it, but that's just his rationale and I'm wondering how many other couples have the same argument lol.

I know everyone has there personal preferences when it comes to money in a relationship or marriage, but statements like your husband‘s would bug me!

My husband and I have only a joint account. No „yours“ and „mine“ here. We‘re a team!
He still has a US account only in his name but we never touch this unless we‘re on vacation in the US (due to exchange rate fees). And even then, we‘ll use the money for both of us and our kids.

Also why is it „your immigration“? He wants you to be with him, right? Then he could also support this move for y’all to be able to spend your lives together in the same country. 

Marriage: 03/16/2018 ❤️💍👱‍♀️🧑
Birth of our daughter: 11/24/2018 👶🥰

USCIS Stage

I-130 submitted: 10/01/2019 😃
I-130 USCIS Lockbox received: 10/03/2019 
I-130 NOA1 received: 10/08/2019 --> Assigned to Nebraska Service Center 😩
I-129F (K3) submitted: 11/01/2019 :idea:

I-129F (K3) USCIS Lockbox received: 11/06/2019 

I-129F (K3) NOA1 received: 11/14/2019 😃🙏🏻
I-130 approved: 05/21/2020 —> NOA2 came from Texas Service Center 🥳❤️

NVC Stage
Case Number received: 05/22/2020 —> via Email 😃
Paid IV and AOS fee: 05/23/2020
IV fee processed (AOS fee is stuck😭) 05/28/2020
Submitted IV application and civil documents: 06/02/2020
Submitted inquiry to NVC for AOS fee being "stuck" (known NVC system issue): 06/02/2020 --> Let the waiting begin - again.... 
AOS fee finally marked as payed: 06/10/2020 🥳

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

It was never a discussion for us. He paid for the petition, once I came to the US I transferred my savings to our joint bank account and paid the AOS. All future  expenses will also be paid from our bank account. I haven’t worked at all since I got here because we had a baby. So it will be taken care for with the money he earned. But he doesn’t look at it as “his money”. It’s ours because we’re a family.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

It's great to hear everyone's opinions on the matter. :) Thanks for chiming in! 

Yes, it was a bit of a weird transition for us especially at the beginning of our marriage...  But as most of you have said, communication is key. We also sit down and talk about things that bother us, which this was one of, on my end. I took the time to explain the whole "we're a family now and we share costs" and he has definitely gotten better about it. On the flip side, when he was having financial trouble in the past, he didn't come to me for help or tell me that he's struggling. When I found out, I immediately paid for whatever he needed to pay for and he was so shocked and grateful. I had to explain yet again that hey, this works both ways - we help each other and we support each other. You don't have to carry the burden alone! I come from a family where we buy each other gifts and pay for each other's expenses, if we are able, without expecting anything back. And his family is quite the opposite, where his dad actually has an Excel spreadsheet of everything he owes him since his teenage years! Also, when we asked his parents if we can stay with them for a few months as we find a house of our own, they said yes but only if we pay rent! LOL 😮 That's ridiculous for me - my family would LOVE to have me (and my husband) live with them again for as long as I wanted for free (and that won't even be a discussion!). 

Anyway, it's interesting to hear everyone's take on it. I also would like to clarify that I'm not in any way troubled by this (at least, not anymore), as my husband and I do discuss this, among many other things. He does try to understand everything from my perspective as well. We have a healthy, happy relationship and I couldn't imagine anything better. I just wanted to open up the discussion because I was just curious of how other married couples deal with stuff like this. I'm not exactly asking for relationship advice here hehe. It's different for everyone! :) 

Edited by snowcat

I paid for everything, for my now wife. It was never discussed, I just knew I was going to pay for everything. Now that she works, she does help pay some bills. To each their own. 

My husband paid for his K1 and AOS since I was not working at the time and he was providing for me. We both paid for ROC because we are both working and we share our money.

If I had been working I would have 100% helped out, I don't consider it -his- immigration. I consider it our family coming together. Living together with extra steps.

If it were me and I was told that it were -my- immigration therefore it's all on me, I would take a step back for sure. It would make me believe my SO felt that immigration my burden to hold alone and that I may be wanting to immigrate for other reasons.

Edited by Ash.

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I consider that it is my responsibility to provide for my Fiance/Wife, so I pay all the fee's.  You had better get used to it because you have an agreement that they will never be a public charge.  I get a real good return on my investment with her unconditional love and understanding.  Sure hopes she reads this.......

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.