Prisonmate

Social Security Office are closed to the public

52 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My fiancee is coming soon and I was planning to go to the Social Security Office to apply for her SSN. Now that the SSN Office are close due to the Corona Virus Scare, how do I apply for a new Social Security number for her? You can't do it online. Any advise will be appreciated.

Edited by Prisonmate
Spelling and adding Tags

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Did you investigate doing it online?  I am not sure if this is possible for K1s, but it is worth setting up an online account and finding out.

Good Luck!

https://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
2 hours ago, Prisonmate said:

My fiancee is coming soon and I was planning to go to the Social Security Office to apply for her SSN. Now that the SSN Office are close due to the Corona Virus Scare, how do I apply for a new Social Security number for her? You can't do it online. Any advise will be appreciated.

I don't think you can if the SS offices are closed.   You will just have to wait until things resume normalcy.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 hours ago, Prisonmate said:

How is she coming soon?  Flights are essentially shutdown 

YMMV

Fist she has to get to the US. That's your biggest problem NOW not getting a SSN. If things start to open up and she arrives then you can go down to your SS office and apply. There is no means to do it on line at this time.

Edited by Greenbaum
Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to SSN , from K1 P&P~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

I tried calling our local SS office today to ask what options there are to get a SSN. The lady confirmed that due to the corona virus all offices are closed to public at the moment. It is required to talk face-to-face and since that is not possible - K1 immigrants cannot get a SSN at the moment. Anybody with a different experience?

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

posting in this topic bc i am concerned as well. my fiance has arrived and now theres no way to get a ssn so we can officially get married before the 90 days is up

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 minutes ago, kumbaya said:

posting in this topic bc i am concerned as well. my fiance has arrived and now theres no way to get a ssn so we can officially get married before the 90 days is up

Very few locals require an ssn from a foreign national to get a marriage license 

YMMV

Timeline
5 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Very few locals require an ssn from a foreign national to get a marriage license 

ive been reading so many conflicting things. general google says you do but i check specific county websites and you dont. i guess i will get married next week ahah

thank you!

2 hours ago, kumbaya said:

ive been reading so many conflicting things. general google says you do but i check specific county websites and you dont. i guess i will get married next week ahah

thank you!

Very few places require a ssn.  For example a foreigner can marry in Las Vegas with just a passport.   

You don't even need a SSN to get health insurance.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

I talked to the social security office one more time, asking them if I could send the application by mail and they accepted it. Beware: I had to send in my original passport and marriage certificate, which is a bit discomforting, but I figured desperate times call for desperate measures. They promised to overnight the documents back immediately after checking everything. Good luck everybody .. SSN is not completely essential in the beginning but it can make life easier...

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

My fiance, now husband, applied on February 24 for his SSN.  He was told by the SSA officer that it would be about a month, checked SAVE and status has changed to "returned to Maryland SSA...", called local SSA where we applied and was told they won't be issuing new SSN due to the COVID shutdown.  I'm a bit confused as some people who applied after us have received their cards.  What are my options since SSA offices are closed?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 4/9/2020 at 2:47 PM, PTRF said:

My fiance, now husband, applied on February 24 for his SSN.  He was told by the SSA officer that it would be about a month, checked SAVE and status has changed to "returned to Maryland SSA...", called local SSA where we applied and was told they won't be issuing new SSN due to the COVID shutdown.  I'm a bit confused as some people who applied after us have received their cards.  What are my options since SSA offices are closed?

nothing we can do just have to wait until office resumes and then visit your local SSN office. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.