Jump to content


  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Profile Information

  • State

Immigration Timeline & Photos

ProbeGT's Achievements

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Agreed. They can't simply get married somewhere else and move back. The move has to be legitimate, and not just to get married.
  2. You need to move to a state that recognizes cousin marriages (some states do not allow them to be performed within the state, but will recognize them if done outside the state)
  3. Indeed. That is why they wanted to check if there were any other options they were simply not aware of
  4. Were you found ineligible for Medicaid based on your immigration status since 2018? --- YES Have you had a change in your immigration status since you were found not eligible for Medicaid?" --- I would answer "No". If you say "yes" it implies that something changed that makes you now possibly eligible for medicaid. The previous question made it clear that you are ineligible for medicaid based on immigration status since (I interpret this as "after", in this case) 2018. This does not apply to those who are not seniors, but yes, it is similar
  5. Asking for a friend. They are a Canadian permanent resident and work for a US employer remotely. They need to come to the US for a few days for work meetings (training, I believe). They do not qualify for the waiver program (their citizenship is not one of the eligible ones), and they can't get a TN visa as they are not Canadian (unless there is something I am unaware of). What would the options be? 1. B1/B2 visa? 2. H-3 visa? 3. CUSMA/NAFTA- any provision for this situation?
  6. 1. Add to spouses' insurance from work (life event - getting married). 2. ACA is technically an option too.
  7. 1. Spouse's insurance. There are two "life events" that help. Getting married is one, but there are a few others, such as "gaining immigration status" or changing address. 2. ACA is an option as well. In this case, you may want to file taxes MFS (not sure).
  8. From what I have seen, it is not terrible if the immigrant does not have any income. I know of a few cases where the relative was in their late 50s, the copay was about $20 a month. Granted this was for an HMO (PPOs were $200+, and most people like PPOs)
  9. For those under 65: For those over 65 (also mentioned in my post)
  10. We contacted an insurance agent for a "short term insurance plan" that covered a relative for the first few weeks.
  11. See this post which also mentions this. In your case, I would select I-797 since that is the immigration document until you get the physical GC.
  12. ] So this year my relative "earned" more money than the $0 we put on the ACA application (they opened a bank account and got a welcome bonus, which is taxable income). They had to send the IRS $7 during tax time as part of the ACA reconciliation process (there is a form that is filed with taxes)
  13. Hello. No changes to this process. The non-dependent status on tax returns is the most important thing. Even if there is some income (for example, opening a bank account and getting a bonus) it doesn't change the subsidy much. I think one year my relative had to pay the IRS back less than $10.
  14. Note that many states have their own programs for insurance that operate outside of the ACA process. Each state has its own criteria, rules, regulations, restrictions, etc, but it is something to consider as well depending on your specific situation.
  • Create New...