mereal

Bringing a brother of a us citizen to America

54 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

Quickest way is to work as a manager for a company with operations in his country and the USA.  Then apply for a transfer. The L1-A visa can be upgraded to a green card in 2 years or less.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
1 hour ago, missileman said:

Marriage for immigration benefits is illegal......

That’s not correct. Marriage solely for an immigration benefit is what is illegal. Big difference

Edited by Ray.Bonaquist

Just another random guy from the internet with an opinion, although usually backed by data!

ᴀ ᴄɪᴛɪᴢᴇɴ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
10 hours ago, mereal said:

Wow I’m sorry but who gonna wait ten years.  It’s an absolute stupidity 

I know many friends, they waited for 15 years, to get the whole family together.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Tunisia
Timeline
6 hours ago, Unlockable said:

No it is not. It is actually generous because most countries don't allow people to bring over siblings. Does Tunisia even offer sibling visas? The reason the wait is so long is because there are a whole lot of people doing it. SO the line is long. 

But if the sibling category is taken away it may help the other more important categories like spousal visa. That is why many want it removed.

I understand what you are saying.. but I don’t think all the siblings of the us citizens Born outside of the country want to move here..One of siblings wants to live here the others not.. do you see what I’m talking about?! however as a us citizen no one can ban you from bringing your family to live with ya or at least to visit ya..

Timeline
4 hours ago, JFH said:

How long would it take for your brother to bring a sibling into his country? Would it even be allowed? Think on that before you claim the immigration policies here to be “stupid”. 

Fact is that the USA is one of the only countries that allows people to bring siblings (plus the sibling’s spouse and minor children) to live. Almost all other countries do not permit that. My brother in the UK married a Mexican lady and brought her to the UK. She’s now a British citizen and cannot even bring her mother into the UK, let alone her siblings, their spouses and their minor children. 

I said stupid about the waiting time.. does not make no sense at all.. waiting 15 years for a visa it’s stupid.. It will be better  if they cancel they hole siblings sponsorship .. not allowing citizens to file to bring siblings but only after more than a decade.. do you see my point of view here?!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
1 minute ago, mereal said:

I said stupid about the waiting time.. does not make no sense at all.. waiting 15 years for a visa it’s stupid.. It will be better  if they cancel they hole siblings sponsorship .. not allowing citizens to file to bring siblings but only after more than a decade.. do you see my point of view here?!!

I certainly agree, but unlikely to be any change in the foreseeable future, it is what it is.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

3 minutes ago, mereal said:

I understand what you are saying.. but I don’t think all the siblings of the us citizens Born outside of the country want to move here..One of siblings wants to live here the others not.. do you see what I’m talking about?! however as a us citizen no one can ban you from bringing your family to live with ya or at least to visit ya..

I see what you are talking about but you missed my point. There are literally millions of sibling petitions that are in queue to be processed. True there are plenty that don't want to move to the US... but it still mean there are millions that do. Check out this link...

https://www.boundless.com/blog/4-million-people-waiting-family-sponsored-green-card/

So you are right that not ALL siblings want to come over. But that does not mean there is not a very very very long line for those that do.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Sounds like cutting off one's nose to spite one's face. 🤷‍♂️

A USC is entitled to petition for a qualifying relative, so long as they meet some basic requirements.

No alien is guaranteed or entitled to a visa - immigrant or otherwise.

The issue here is time. At least there is a means.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

9 minutes ago, mereal said:

Yes, there are a lot who agree the sibling category should be eliminated because it may help speed up the process for other categories like spousal visas. But now you know why the wait is stupid long. Because too many people are doing it.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

19 minutes ago, mereal said:

however as a us citizen no one can ban you from bringing your family to live with ya or at least to visit ya..

Yeah, not correct.

13 minutes ago, mereal said:

not allowing citizens to file to bring siblings but only after more than a decade.. do you see my point of view here?!!

It is because hundreds of thousands of others had the same idea as you, and got in the queue first.

Timeline
13 minutes ago, Unlockable said:

Yes, there are a lot who agree the sibling category should be eliminated because it may help speed up the process for other categories like spousal visas. But now you know why the wait is stupid long. Because too many people are doing it.

Too many ppl are doing it because they can do it.. it’s not their faults.. by law they can file for that siblings sponsorship..the hole immigration system needs reform..

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.