R . B

My situation

22 posts in this topic

Hello everybody this is Rich
I am a 28 year old man.
I was born in Derbyshire England and I lived there until the age of 22.
I’m a simple man , not without my traits.
I grew up with my mum and two older sisters, times were not easy but we lived good, my mum made sure we always had what we need.
I was raised with manners and respect and try to hold true to those values by being a nice person.
I try to be humble in this beautiful world, I appreciate life and its wonders.
I moved to Texas America in 2014 to be with my  pregnant fiancee.
She is the love of my life , we met on the internet in early 2012.
I travelled to visit her and we created so much love that we created life.
We were young and not fully educated but we instantly decided it was in our best interests that we be together as soon as possible and marry.
I worked in a fish and chip shop in the town in which I grew up in, the pay wasn’t great but it was enough to save and put In extra hours for the money to go be with my love.
We thought about where we wanted to be and in that time we got married shortly after I arrived in Texas.
We had no idea about the process of immigration after that so we tried to learn, and we did learn.
We very quickly learned that my wife did not pass the annual income needed to sponsor me, nor did we have anyone legitimate enough to co sign.
Incident number 1 
Now I’m on a travel visa lasting 90 days , and that time has long gone, now understanding that if I leave the USA i have nothing to be able to come back To be with my wife and new born.
So I decide to stay , years went by with my wife providing working hard for little pay.
We never earned enough to be able to get my paperwork.
We had a ray of hope a year or so later when my mother in law got together with her partner who was willing to co sponser, we got to the final hurdle before that all fell through since she was technically working for the government so she was not allowed to sponser.
Heartbreaking me and my wife,  we continued on my wife worked harder and harder we had a second child and my wife worked through it all.
We finally have gotten to this point.
November 2019 the only vehicle we have gets totalled , the insurance company dragging its feet is worried we will not receive any money.
My wife’s work is a courier job in which we use our own vehicle to do the work.
We slowly fall into debt and distaster , we are beginning to lose everything and have nothing but a feeling of hopelessness and just a desire for better for our children.
We open the mail one day , it’s my wife’s annual earnings 
Wow she did it she made and you wont believe it $90 over the amount needed to sponsor me , HAPPY DAYS right?
Now we sit here in debt collecting with no way to work  No way to get this money to get my papers done so I can work and provide for my family also.
6 years almost with no eligibility to work , slowly watching my wife’s life ruined , all crumbling around us with our two perfect children in the center of it , what are we supposed to do?

Edited by Richard bott

Filed: EB-3 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Its important for you to file and get legal status. You are at risk of deportation at any time. 

Note the rules on public charge are being more strictly enforced. Making $90 over the minimum requirement is dangerous territory

You need to file and find a way to be sponsored.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

It’s too bad you did things the wrong way around and would up in this situation. The only way out is to file ASAP. Beg, borrow but don’t steal the money to file. Until you get the receipt notification that your file has been accepted, you are at risk of deportation at any minute. Sell something if you have to.

The only advice you will ever get from this forum is the legal way to do things. Good luck. 

Edited by JFH

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

$90 above the guidelines may not be enough.  They look at the totality of your circumstances to see if you are at risk of being a public charge.  When I sponsored my husband I was a few hundred over but decided to work a second job and make a few thousand over.  Your wife should look at getting a better job and/or a second job.  Or find a qualified joint sponsor.  You might get by being barely over - but you might not.  And also beg and/or borrow but get those papers filed.  As it is you are in risk of deportation.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

As @JFH said, borrow the money. I was in a similar situation. Borrowed from every corner. I knew that after I paid USCIS, I'd atleast get employment card (4 months from filing) which would enable me to work and make some money while the process took its 1.5 years due course. 

Though your mother in law didn't sponsor you, maybe she can let you borrow all/ part of the AOS fee. With that, you can put your application in and get EAD. As soon as you get the AOS money, start job hunting so that you have an offer ready as when your EAD lands. The moment you get your EAD, hit the ground running, slowly start paying your debtors.

I hope that you've already prepared your AOS packet such that as soon as you get the money, you send it in. If you haven't, it's a DIY case. The steps are on the guideline section here in VJ. 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

1. Borrow the AOS fee.

2. As others have stated, $90 above is barely making it. Nonetheless, I beg to differ from others with my next reasoning.  

3. Use this $90 above to send in your paperwork. At the meantime, ask your wife to pick a better job/ second job as already mentioned so that should the time come when USCIS informs you that they want proof of better income, you can send in pay stubs indicating you are now making well above the average. It's upto the discretion of the IO, but it has worked on others. 

4. After you send your paperwork, you get an EAD. That helps you start working.

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Classic case to expedite EAD.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 hours ago, R . B said:

6 years almost with no eligibility to work , slowly watching my wife’s life ruined , all crumbling around us with our two perfect children in the center of it , what are we supposed to do?

I have no solid advice, but you seem like a caring person, and an honest one.  Your mistake I guess is your age and inexperience with immigration laws at that time.  We all were at one point in time.    One thing in advice,   Never say "I can't".. but "What can I do to make this work for us".. You will come up with the answer when you change your mindset  from the "poor me" syndrome.    I listen to radio on my headset when I work (I work at home, so I am a cool boss),  anyways, I was listening to the Mike Gallagher show, and he was advertising for "My Pillow". (Yes, I have them),, and he said that Mike Lindell, the inventor of My Pillow , at one time was a crack addict.  Turned his life around and now a multi multi millionaire.  We all struggle at times.  Be thankful for what you DO have in your life at the time, and think of how to make it better.  You can do it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
5 hours ago, Oliversmom said:

$90 above the guidelines may not be enough.  They look at the totality of your circumstances to see if you are at risk of being a public charge.  When I sponsored my husband I was a few hundred over but decided to work a second job and make a few thousand over.  Your wife should look at getting a better job and/or a second job.  Or find a qualified joint sponsor.  You might get by being barely over - but you might not.  And also beg and/or borrow but get those papers filed.  As it is you are in risk of deportation.  

I second your opinion and -probably being overly cautious- if I were in this situation I would look for a joint sponsor. Even if my husband were 5k above the poverty guideline I would still look for a joint sponsor. It's not only about current income, but it's also about the possibility of you becoming a public charge -and with only $90 above the poverty guideline, this is a possibility IMO.

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline
12 hours ago, R . B said:

I am a 28 year old man.
I was born in Derbyshire England and I lived there until the age of 22.
I’m a simple man , not without my traits.
I grew up with my mum and two older sisters, times were not easy but we lived good, my mum made sure we always had what we need.
I was raised with manners and respect and try to hold true to those values by being a nice person.
I try to be humble in this beautiful world, I appreciate life and its wonders.
I moved to Texas America in 2014 to be with my  pregnant fiancee.
She is the love of my life , we met on the internet in early 2012.
I travelled to visit her and we created so much love that we created life.
We were young and not fully educated but we instantly decided it was in our best interests that we be together as soon as possible and marry.
I worked in a fish and chip shop in the town in which I grew up in, the pay wasn’t great but it was enough to save and put In extra hours for the money to go be with my love.
We thought about where we wanted to be and in that time we got married shortly after I arrived in Texas.
We had no idea about the process of immigration after that so we tried to learn, and we did learn.
We very quickly learned that my wife did not pass the annual income needed to sponsor me, nor did we have anyone legitimate enough to co sign.
Incident number 1 
Now I’m on a travel visa lasting 90 days , and that time has long gone, now understanding that if I leave the USA i have nothing to be able to come back To be with my wife and new born.
So I decide to stay , years went by with my wife providing working hard for little pay.
We never earned enough to be able to get my paperwork.
We had a ray of hope a year or so later when my mother in law got together with her partner who was willing to co sponser, we got to the final hurdle before that all fell through since she was technically working for the government so she was not allowed to sponser.
Heartbreaking me and my wife,  we continued on my wife worked harder and harder we had a second child and my wife worked through it all.
We finally have gotten to this point.
November 2019 the only vehicle we have gets totalled , the insurance company dragging its feet is worried we will not receive any money.
My wife’s work is a courier job in which we use our own vehicle to do the work.
We slowly fall into debt and distaster , we are beginning to lose everything and have nothing but a feeling of hopelessness and just a desire for better for our children.
We open the mail one day , it’s my wife’s annual earnings 
Wow she did it she made and you wont believe it $90 over the amount needed to sponsor me , HAPPY DAYS right?
Now we sit here in debt collecting with no way to work  No way to get this money to get my papers done so I can work and provide for my family also.

It might sounds silly but did you try to make HER come to the UK? it is a way easier. Once you guys are married/settled you can always fill another visa for living back in the USA!

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Xavier_ said:

It might sounds silly but did you try to make HER come to the UK? it is a way easier. Once you guys are married/settled you can always fill another visa for living back in the USA!

For somebody who worked in a Chippy?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Boiler said:

For somebody who worked in a Chippy?

her job is courier, and what's special about him working in a chippy? it's like a little restaurant, right?

Oh wait sorry I didn't get the part that he was an illegal immigrant with 2 kids.

Edited by Xavier_

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Xavier_ said:

her job is courier, and what's special about him working in a chippy? it's like a little restaurant, right?

Wait, do they have 2 childrens already?????

Err, do you know the UK requirements?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.