Balamban

Beware of accidentally finding oneself on Medicaid.

32 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, C and L said:

So no public charge there?

It should be a deduction for Medicare.  

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

26 minutes ago, C and L said:

So no public charge there?

No public charge.  He is paying into a system that he will benefit from legitimately when he reaches a certain age or otherwise qualifies.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Lithuania
Timeline

"Evil Trump", "Torturing our UNDOCUMENTED immigrants". No, he's trying to make them accountable for their actions of breaking immigration laws. What the hell is even "undocumented" immigrant. Illegal. Jeezz..

This law seems fair, obviously it will be turned into discrimination and fought. But the law itself is great and will filter out risky immigrants. In my mind, thats a good step forward. 

Fun fact, more people were deported per year when Obama was in the office, vs Trump. Didn't hear anyone calling Obama out..

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
2 hours ago, The_Empyrean said:

"Evil Trump", "Torturing our UNDOCUMENTED immigrants". No, he's trying to make them accountable for their actions of breaking immigration laws. What the hell is even "undocumented" immigrant. Illegal. Jeezz..

This law seems fair, obviously it will be turned into discrimination and fought. But the law itself is great and will filter out risky immigrants. In my mind, thats a good step forward. 

Fun fact, more people were deported per year when Obama was in the office, vs Trump. Didn't hear anyone calling Obama out..

I don't think we can really judge how fair it is until a) we can read the whole 800 page "rule" and b) we see how it is implemented and used. A rule can be fair on the surface, but can be used in unfair ways, regardless of who the president is. 

K1 to AOS                                                                                   AOS/EAD/AP                                                                      N-400

03/01/2018 - I-129F Mailed                                              06/19/2019 - NOA1 Date                                              01/27/2023 - N-400 Filed Online

03/08/2018 - NOA1 Date                                                    07/11/2019 - Biometrics Appt                                   02/23/2023 - Biometrics Appt
09/14/2018 - NOA2 Date                                                    12/13/2019 - EAD/AP Approved                               04/03/2023 - Interview Scheduled

10/16/2018 - NVC Received                                              12/17/2019 - Interview Scheduled                          05/10/2023 - Interview - APPROVED!

10/21/2018 - Packet 3 Received                                      01/29/2020 - Interview - APPROVED!                  OFFICIALLY A U.S. CITIZEN! 

12/30/2018 - Packet 3 Sent                                               02/04/2020 - Green Card Received! 

01/06/2019 - Packet 4 Received                                     ROC - I-751

01/29/2019 - Interview - APPROVED!                           11/02/2021 - Mailed ROC Packet

02/05/2019 - Visa Received                                             11/04/2021 - NOA1 Date

05/17/2019 - U.S. Arrival                                                     01/19/2022 - Biometrics Waived

05/24/2019 - Married ❤️                                                    02/04/2023 - Transferred to New Office

06/14/2019 - Mailed AOS Packet                                    05/10/2023 - APPROVED!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Lithuania
Timeline
4 minutes ago, beloved_dingo said:

I don't think we can really judge how fair it is until a) we can read the whole 800 page "rule" and b) we see how it is implemented and used. A rule can be fair on the surface, but can be used in unfair ways, regardless of who the president is. 

at this very moment most of the immigration rules aren't fair , mostly for those who do it legally. If it's unfair to illegals, it isn't unfair, thats how it should be. 

I agree, it's difficult to say unless we get to see the whole rule, but current situation is benefiting the "undocumented" ones, not the ones that come here by legal means. It's upside-down. 

I don't even understand why this is an issue. I am agreeing with my Affidavit of Support that my future wife will not be on the system and I do not see anything wrong with that. We have veterans and elderly people who can't get the help they need because too many people with their hands out. Immigrant or not.

When my husband and I first came to US on a spousal visa I had applied for WIC and food stamps because well we were just starting out and we were pregnant so we wanted to make sure I got all the nutrition I needed while we got ourselves on our feet. They told us my husband was not qualified for benefits and we said fine we get that and so I started receiving benefits. A few months later they told is they "accidently" were giving us benefits that included my husband and we had to pay back a good sum of money. I was shocked to say the least about trumps new law and a little scared because it wasn't our fault it was the state's mistake. Will this affect my husbands citizenship? He has been the soul provider for us for almost 2 years and we are very proud of this achievement. We are also no longer on any benefits because we decided it's not worth the risk. 

2 minutes ago, AdreannN said:

A few months later they told is they "accidently" were giving us benefits that included my husband and we had to pay back a good sum of money. I was shocked to say the least about trumps new law and a little scared because it wasn't our fault it was the state's mistake. Will this affect my husbands citizenship? He has been the soul provider for us for almost 2 years and we are very proud of this achievement. We are also no longer on any benefits because we decided it's not worth the risk. 

No laws have been changed. A rule/regulation was.

That incident should not hurt his citizenship application - both because it's paid back/being paid back and was due to a mistake, and because past use is not being held against somebody.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

4 hours ago, The_Empyrean said:

My husband and I agree 100 percent with Trump enforcing illegal immigrants to be responsible. We have faught like hell to do everything legally and we definitely feel how unfair it is to just let illegal immigrants get away with using the system. I do understand how hard it is in other countries I get it. I lived it but still i had to obey the laws there to.

4 minutes ago, geowrian said:

No laws have been changed. A rule/regulation was.

That incident should not hurt his citizenship application - both because it's paid back/being paid back and was due to a mistake, and because past use is not being held against somebody.

Oh ok that's good to know. I'll do more research in it then so I can be more informed. Thanks so much for your reply!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
23 hours ago, Balamban said:

From a buzzfeed article, “A new rule being drafted by the Trump administration would weaponize the Affordable Care Act and other social programs against immigrants, potentially affecting millions.”

Title of article: “The Trump Administration Could Reject Legal Status For Immigrants If They Used Food Stamps Or Obamacare

using one or more public benefits. Use of any such benefit in the three previous years would be weighed as a negative factor.

From what I heard on the radio news,  it is limited to those who are a public charge for 12 months in Aggregate in any 36 month period, so If I understand this, an immigrant can get SNAP 3 month here, 4 months there, within that 36 month period.  It "allows" immigrants to be limited public charge.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

I've found this to be a good distillation of the updated rule, with particular focus on health services:

https://www.kff.org/disparities-policy/fact-sheet/public-charge-policies-for-immigrants-implications-for-health-coverage/

We have used CHIP for our daughter when she was a newborn, and did so for about a semester, while I was a grad student in the US. So naturally, I was worried, given that can be understood to be under Medicaid. 

Luckily, the rule stipulates the immigrant must have been the beneficiary, in addition to explicitly excluding children (by applying the Medicaid criteria to adults 21 and over). Phew...

11 minutes ago, pinano said:

I've found this to be a good distillation of the updated rule, with particular focus on health services:

https://www.kff.org/disparities-policy/fact-sheet/public-charge-policies-for-immigrants-implications-for-health-coverage/

We have used CHIP for our daughter when she was a newborn, and did so for about a semester, while I was a grad student in the US. So naturally, I was worried, given that can be understood to be under Medicaid. 

Luckily, the rule stipulates the immigrant must have been the beneficiary, in addition to explicitly excluding children (by applying the Medicaid criteria to adults 21 and over). Phew...

Yeah I argued on Reddit about this very same thing. It says for the beneficiary to be on Medicaid but does not say anything about the USC children which is a good thing. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.