Greekwife

Final public charge rule

698 posts in this topic

And note the question on the I-944 about English Proficiency.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

5 minutes ago, Luckycuds said:

Thanks for the clarification- it doesn’t sound like you have anything to worry about then. The majority of the articles I’ve seen don’t mention the credit check-just public charge/benefits.  

FYI: You can apply for your EAD which is the work permit that comes prior to your Greencard 🙂

Oh that’s so reassuring! I thought EAD was at the same time. So do you mind providing an example time frame? EAD upon marriage and then how long later for the green card? I assumed that had to be done within the three months the K1 visa is valid for. I just admit my focus has been on the paperwork to get in so far as opposed to the once in so this is a bit new to me! I really appreciate your clarification!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Cilllah said:

Oh that’s so reassuring! I thought EAD was at the same time. So do you mind providing an example time frame? EAD upon marriage and then how long later for the green card? I assumed that had to be done within the three months the K1 visa is valid for. I just admit my focus has been on the paperwork to get in so far as opposed to the once in so this is a bit new to me! I really appreciate your clarification!

I’ll message you -to not hack this post 🙂

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

8 minutes ago, ~Alessa~ said:

Why won't they divide income by state, some states are so much more affordable to live than others

This would be a great idea. I’m moving to South Dakota where the dollar is technically worth more than the dollar. Cost of living is low and most people don’t have jobs that earn 250% the guidelines and are still well off. 

7 minutes ago, Luckycuds said:

I’ll message you -to not hack this post 🙂

Thank you!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Greece
Timeline
34 minutes ago, Luckycuds said:

How is this correlated with racism or classism? The immigrants socioeconomic status from their home country doesn’t come into play- the US sponsor needs to be able to make sure the new immigrant doesn’t become a public charge. There would have been no way my husband (who comes from the poorest country in this hemisphere) would be on any public assistance because I signed an affidavit he wouldn’t become a public charge and took it seriously not like many people who say “it’s rarely, if ever, enforced”. He came to this country with literally a half-full suitcase. It didn’t matter because I was the one that would take care of him. If I couldn’t afford to care for my husband I would have made sure I got a better job, waited for his immigration, etc until the time was right financially. I think many people don’t and only want the immigrant to get here ASAP and figure out the $ part later- which can result in easily signing up for public assistance. America shouldn’t be a free for all and unfortunately too many people take advantage of the system long term.

In fact it is a form of socio-economic Darwinism hoping to lead “new US” into an era way behind apes.....

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline
24 minutes ago, ~Alessa~ said:

Why won't they divide income by state, some states are so much more affordable to live than others

Thats a good point however it wouldn’t take into account people moving 

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

My wife came here on a K-1 visa. We got married and she got her green card almost a year ago. Will this impact me when we have to re-apply for the second green card? (the one which you have to apply for 2 years after being approved for the first one). My wife has not yet passed the GED but she does have a job at a local WalMart as a full time employee.  I personally make about 70K in California. We are not under any government program or Medicare, however she does not yet have medical insurance. Thank you in advance folks!

Just now, lonesurvivor said:

And what if they make nothing or very little in the eyes of the us government because they are from a poorer country, but their husband/wife (sponsor) makes more than enough? That's what i am so confused about. Because people are saying its no different from before. Well, right now it does not matter at all what the spouse has/makes as long the USC covers them (which is the point of the affidavit)

Right now it doesn’t matter. But in the future it will matter when this law comes into effect because the whole purpose of the law is to bar poor people who are more likely to become public charges from being able to immigrate. This is not based on race but more on class.

So I guess with this law, they are making the following assumptions:

1.  They assume if someone comes from a poor country, with a low level of education, makes very little and can’t speak English then the likelihood that person will rely on government aid would go up. 

2. They assume if an applicant doesn’t make much but the USC makes more than enough to cover both and hasn't used government assistance, then it is less likely that the applicant would become a public charge, and that is taken into the totality of consideration and an approval is more likely. 

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
9 minutes ago, Luyen said:

My wife came here on a K-1 visa. We got married and she got her green card almost a year ago. Will this impact me when we have to re-apply for the second green card? (the one which you have to apply for 2 years after being approved for the first one). My wife has not yet passed the GED but she does have a job at a local WalMart as a full time employee.  I personally make about 70K in California. We are not under any government program or Medicare, however she does not yet have medical insurance. Thank you in advance folks!

We have no idea.  We are just reading the same 800+ set of new rules

This rule only affects on any applications which postmarked (filled) on or after its efficient date. Any pending cases will still be adjusticated based on the 1999 Interim Field Guidance, which only requires the sponsor satisfies 125% Poverty Guideline. You still have less than 60 days to file your case, unless you want to play this rule in which the Poverty Guideline can be raised up to 250%. Again, this is a move only to bar poor people from entering this country!

Edited by jasonlzak

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 minute ago, jasonlzak said:

This rule only affects on any applications which postmarked (filled) on or after its efficient date. Any pending cases will still be adjusticated based on the 1999 Interim Field Guidance, which only requires the sponsor satisfies 125% Poverty Guideline. You still have less than 60 days to file your case, unless you want to play this rule in which the Poverty Guideline can raise up to 250%. Again, this is a move only to bar poor people from entering this country!

250% seems way too high...I feel like most of us on here (and most americans) dont make that kind of money. I am grateful I am just waiting for my interview now...I hope some of these rules are reduced in the next couple of months. 

What’s kind of bothersome is they will apply this to citizenship applications and potentially bar anyone who earns under a certain amount from becoming a citizen. It seems ethically questionable since if an immigrant hasn’t used any government handouts and worked hard in the US, but incidentally doesn’t earn above a certain threshold, does that mean they are not good enough to be a citizen? 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.