Alhaji

K1 Visa, ICE came to my house.

112 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Wife came in US on k1 visa November 2018, got married January 11, 2019, I94 expired February 12 Filled AOS April 12 due to financial situation, did biometric May 16 June 26, 2019 ready for interview on USCIS site. ICE came to my house while I was at work July 5 due to I94 expired. Wife didn't get arrested but visit ICE office July 9. Took her passport and said we have to check in every month, should I be worried ???

8 minutes ago, Alhaji said:

Wife came in US on k1 visa November 2018, got married January 11, 2019, I94 expired February 12 Filled AOS April 12 due to financial situation, did biometric May 16 June 26, 2019 ready for interview on USCIS site. ICE came to my house while I was at work July 5 due to I94 expired. Wife didn't get arrested but visit ICE office July 9. Took her passport and said we have to check in every month, should I be worried ???

Uhm, yeah. I don’t know why they took her passport. She should be in a period of authorized stay. Without her passport, she can’t fly. That would be one of my concerns. Tons of people are in her same situation, they don’t have to report to ICE every month. Maybe you need to get a lawyer and have a visit with ICE to figure out.

Timeline

That's true, I don't know why they took her passport or came to the house in the 1st place since we got married before 90 days and our paperwork work is in progress, which is a very slow process for everyone. Def in the process getting another lawyer to solve 

It’s not unheard of ICE stopping by if the I-94 has expired and AOS was not filed yet. It is odd that they came by after AOS was filed, and that they want you to check in every month.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline

@geowrian I was shocked, my wife doesn't have a criminal record what so ever, neither do I ... She came here legally, spend thousands of dollars on paperwork just to be harass by ICE like she's a criminal

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
23 minutes ago, geowrian said:

It’s not unheard of ICE stopping by if the I-94 has expired and AOS was not filed yet. It is odd that they came by after AOS was filed, and that they want you to check in every month.

I have never heard of this check-in requirement.....Have you, @geowrian ?

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
13 minutes ago, Alhaji said:

@geowrian I was shocked, my wife doesn't have a criminal record what so ever, neither do I ... She came here legally, spend thousands of dollars on paperwork just to be harass by ICE like she's a criminal

There must be more to this story......Why would they single out your wife?  This is very odd, to say the least....

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Just now, missileman said:

I have never heard of this check-in requirement.....Have you, @geowrian ?

Something is amiss, she is either in a period of authorized stay or not.  Checking in monthly serves no purpose 

YMMV

Timeline

@missileman only thing I can think of is I been having problem putting my wife on my apartment lease so I can have it ready for our Green card interview and been having problem doing it with my leasing office, maybe they called or a neighbor. But I don't have anything to hide especially she's here legally and we ready to start a family

12 minutes ago, Alhaji said:

Okay, so you guys should be fine then, right? As you stated, all the paperwork is sent out and you were lucky that it did not happen in the couple of months that she was temporarily out of status.

As inconvenient (having to check in every month) and weird as it is (them having her passport most importantly) the word ‘harass’ is maybe a little over the top but that’s just my opinion..

“It’s been 84 years…” 

- Me talking about the progress of my I-751

Yeah, the check ins are the unusual piece. The rest of it not so much (they might not have known AOS was filed yet at the time they were assigned to stop by).

The amount of time or money spent on the process is not a concern for them.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline

So, do they have her passport now?

Timeline

@Bill & Katya they know and they even ask her if she was married before 90 days, she said YES. And I have all documents from i129 documents, NOA from 485, etc

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.