TBoneTX

Form DS-5535 "Supplemental Questions for Visa Applicants" -- Part 2

1,370 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
20 hours ago, FKEdwards said:

Can anyone clarify whether this form is to be returned by email or mail? My fiancée (the beneficiary) was kind of upset in the moment and can’t recall whether the officer said mail or email. The email from the Abu Dhabi embassy also doesn’t include any instructions, only a seemingly incomplete translation of the Arabic (which neither of us speak). We have emailed asking for clarification but I wanted to see if anyone here knows.

I’m updating in case anyone else needs this information, the Abu Dhabi embassy confirmed it should be submitted by email and in Word (strangely they send it in Word rather than editable PDF). So if anyone else has this situation with the AD embassy.

• 1 month later...
Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Following vj since 2018. Visiting after more than a year and I guess everyone got their visas except me☹️ Its going to be 3 years still stuck in AP.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
1 hour ago, nmalik said:

Following vj since 2018. Visiting after more than a year and I guess everyone got their visas except me☹️ Its going to be 3 years still stuck in AP.

I’m so sorry. That’s extremely excessive. Perhaps you should obtain legal counsel if you haven’t already. 

• 1 month later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

i guess ill add to this thread. My mom got this form as well. She is  a Canadian citizen and i had applied her to come to USA. my step dad got approved. Sent the supplemental questions today, hopefully its not a long wait :(

USCIS

January 8th 2014 - NOA1

July 10th 2014 - NOA2

NVC

July 17th 2014 - Case shipped to NVC

July 30th 2014 - Case received by NVC

August 13th 2014 - Case number and IIN received by email

August 13th 2014 - DS-261 Form Completed

August 14th 2014 - AOS Fees Invoiced and Paid

September 17th 2014 - IV Fees Invoiced and Paid

September 19th 2014 - DS260 Completed

October 6th 2014 - AOS and IV Packages Received

November 28th 2014 - AOS and IV Checklist (4 items in total. 3 for documents they lost. Called on December 9 and a rep said no checklist for IV....go figure)

December 8th 2014 - Checklist scan date.

December 30th 2014 - Case Compl........NOT. So after not having an interview date yet, I called again on Jan 30th and apparently its in final review with a supervisor.

February 6th 2015 - Case Complete: Supervisor called from NVC to confirm everything has been completed now.

March 27 2015 - Interview Date

March 27 2015 - Approved!

• 2 months later...

My Fiancé and I are going through the K1 nightmare ordeal.... My fiancé was issues a white paper 221g stating that they needed a certified copy of my divorce decree. We immediately sent it in and received an acknowledgment email from the US Consulate in Bogota Colombia right away.

Last night my Fiancé received an email from the US Embassy asking her to fill out the DS-5535 form.

I have two questions:

1. Is an electronic signature valid or do we have to print, fill out, (physically) sign the document, then scan it tp PDF and send it in via email?

2. My fiancé does not have her old passport so we don't know the number nor have details on places she has traveled to in the last 15 years. However, we do have some info in her current passport but it clearly doesn't cover the last 15 years. Anybody out there run into this issue? If so, how did you proceed and what was the outcome?

Thank you!

luis

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
On 5/11/2019 at 9:40 AM, julianC said:

Hello all,

I am new to this thread....however not new to DS-5535. 

1. Visa class:  K1 

2. Country : Brazil 

3. Interview: Sept 4, 2018 

4: DS 5535: September 13, 2018  (via email to my fiancee)

5: USC/Beneficiary: I am the petitioner (man), my fiancee is the beneficiary (woman)

6: Total Time since interview: 8 months

I was just made aware of the thread by someone that I met in the AP topic. I have had both my congresswoman and senator involved. My senator requested an update this week in which we were told the case is still in AP. Since November on the CEAC website the case status has read "READY" but we are continually told the case is in AP. My fiancee interviewed at the Rio De Janeiro consulate. For what it may be worth, the interview went well and my fiancee was told she would have the visa in 2 weeks. They also kept her passport.

I am wondering if there is anyone else out there who has received the DS-5535 and is from Brazil or other South American countries? If so, how long did they wait for an answer following submission of the DS-5535 answers? In general, how long are people waiting for an answer (including other countries)?  We are so worried that after this long wait we will be told that the visa was denied and have to start another process. Also noticed that some people had to get another medical exam. After how long does a medical exam expire? Thanks for the help. I have found this discussion quite informative.

Hello.. I know it’s been a while but I was wondering how you processed ended. My fiancé is in Colombia and also was asked to fill form DS-5535. I’ve never heard of this, so any information is greatly appreciated 🙏🏻

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

Hello, my fiance's K1 visa case has also ended up with DS 5535 and administrative processing. We are very worried about the possibility of waiting in limbo for many months. Since submission of DS 5535 on May 5, 2023 our case has been updated only once. I am in the process of contacting my local congressman and senators. I am also considering filing WOM after 6 months if AP isn't resolved. Just a nightmarish and depressing stage of my life at the moment.

Hi everyone. My husband had his interview in August 2022 in Beirut, Lebanon. He was asked to fill out form DS5535 and he emailed it the next day. It’s been almost 10 months with no updates. The embassy in Beirut can’t update us since it is under AP. Has anyone received their Visa after that long of a wait? It would be helpful to hear some positive feedback. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Lebanon
Timeline
8 hours ago, Joujoute said:

Hi everyone. My husband had his interview in August 2022 in Beirut, Lebanon. He was asked to fill out form DS5535 and he emailed it the next day. It’s been almost 10 months with no updates. The embassy in Beirut can’t update us since it is under AP. Has anyone received their Visa after that long of a wait? It would be helpful to hear some positive feedback. 

I know someone who got their visa from the US embassy in Beirut after 11 months from sending the DS5535. Hopefully your case will be approved soon. Did they take his passport or gave it back to him?

The immigration process caused me PTSD.

• 1 month later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline
On 5/24/2023 at 9:29 PM, Catperson_rx said:

Hello, my fiance's K1 visa case has also ended up with DS 5535 and administrative processing. We are very worried about the possibility of waiting in limbo for many months. Since submission of DS 5535 on May 5, 2023 our case has been updated only once. I am in the process of contacting my local congressman and senators. I am also considering filing WOM after 6 months if AP isn't resolved. Just a nightmarish and depressing stage of my life at the moment.

Congressmen and Senators…id check their political views on immigration first. 
also WOM is the only way I got out of AP. 

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So far , My research  tells me Ds-5535 is security check black hole , If you got Ds-5535 this means all of your documents are clear but need security check , Applicant personally need security check (In USA , from the countries applicant visited or lived for more then 6 months) . 

This could take 2 weeks to ....................................... As long as your bad luck continue..

I may be wrong in making  this opinion so early . But lets see. 

May God Have Mercy On Me. Ameen 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.