TBoneTX

Form DS-5535 "Supplemental Questions for Visa Applicants" -- Part 2

1,370 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, sima12 said:

I know, but almost 2years in AP without any date update! Is that normal? 

It certainly has happened.   I’m sure covid has added to the delay as well.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: FB-3 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

My case f3 , our interview was in January and since then we are Ap and we got ds5355 .recently our ds 260 opened again but didn’t receive email about it.Do we submit the forms or we have to wait embassy’s email ?

On 1/4/2021 at 3:23 PM, J-S said:

Had an Interview on October 20.Given white slip 221g to fill and send DS 5535.On November 30 status changed from immigrant to nonimmigrant.

Today my status changed to Issued.

Good luck to everyone😁

Congratulations. Did they email you before CEAC said issued? Did they keep your passport the whole time? Thanks

Hi all,

I just want to give a brief update on our CR1 application. I believe it will be helpful for those who are stuck in DS5535. 

CR1 VISA 

Naturalized U.S citizen wife married with Tunisian husband

PD: September 2019

USCIS Approval : April 2020

NVC case created: April 2020

DQ: JUNE 2020

Interview : August 2020

We had all our documents ready for the interview. Interview was approved but DS5535 was given. He was told by officer that everything looks good but he needs an additional security check. My husband had travel history to Turkey twice. He was told that he will receive an email which will have an attachment of Supplemental Questions form. He was also told that the form will be sent to Washington DC. 

He received an email aproxx in 1hour. He filled out the form and send back to Tunis embassy via email. We got a confirmation that the embassy has received the completed form. After that the wait has started. 

Next day of interview we got a CEAC date updated. Which means that they sent the form to DC. After a month we got another CEAC date update. I (petitioner) sent an email to embassy about the CEAC date update but, I was told that there was no update on our case. After 76 days (weekends included) of the interview we got another CEAC date update. Again, I emailed to the Tunis embassy regarding to our CEAC update and my husband received an email after 2 days stating that his AP and the security check is complete, he can drop off his passport for visa issuance. 

We did not involve congressman in our process. Only communication during the DS5535 process was between us and the embassy. 

Edited by bsbt

On 12/4/2020 at 5:54 PM, pooj97 said:

Does anyone here know if the DS-5535 form will

not be given anymore to visa applicants once Biden is officially in office as the president?

The form has been there since forever and it’s been used more often since Trump administration came to power back in 2016. It’s not up to any president deciding to give or not to the visa applicants. I saw some cases in Montreal, Canada going thru that black hole even when they were Canadians, so anybody can be flashed by DHS for extra security checks. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline
1 hour ago, Ujjwal said:

The form has been there since forever and it’s been used more often since Trump administration came to power back in 2016. It’s not up to any president deciding to give or not to the visa applicants. I saw some cases in Montreal, Canada going thru that black hole even when they were Canadians, so anybody can be flashed by DHS for extra security checks. 

I dont think the form “has been around since forever”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_Order_13780

On May 4, 2017, the United States Department of State proposed a new form, DS-5535, to collect additional information from all visa applicants "who have been determined to warrant additional scrutiny in connection with terrorism or other national security-related visa ineligibilities". The new form implemented the directive of Executive Order 13780 to implement additional protocols and procedures focusing on "[ensuring] the proper collection of all information necessary to rigorously evaluate all grounds of inadmissibility or deportability, or grounds for the denial of other immigration benefits". 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
On 2/1/2021 at 10:00 PM, NoName70 said:

People being stuck in the black hole of Administrative processing has been around forever but the ds5535 form itself is only a few years old.  

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.