How long at port of entry ?

76 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, Mike E said:

Congrats.

When are you going to the SS office?

A week from tomorrow.  

I was 2.5 hours in secondary at Las Vegas when I arrived. The biggest part of the wait was spent waiting for a Chinese translator. The person in front of me in the line at secondary couldn’t speak English, only Chinese, and the Chinese translator had gone for lunch break. Instead of processing other people waiting who didn’t need a Chinese translator, or any translator (like me and the K-1 person on the flight from London), they halted everything to wait for the translator. Bureaucracy at its best.  

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Timeline
2 hours ago, NearEthereal said:

Shout out to fellow Philadelphian (kinda!) Visa Journey person! So happy this is happening for you and the wait is finally over and you get to be with her!! 

Curious, do you fill out the AOS in Florida or Philly?

Florida is our home, so we'll likely do it there.

Where are you in Philly?  I work in King of Prussia.  (Multi-year project)

Timeline
4 minutes ago, JFH said:

I was 2.5 hours in secondary at Las Vegas when I arrived. The biggest part of the wait was spent waiting for a Chinese translator. The person in front of me in the line at secondary couldn’t speak English, only Chinese, and the Chinese translator had gone for lunch break. Instead of processing other people waiting who didn’t need a Chinese translator, or any translator (like me and the K-1 person on the flight from London), they halted everything to wait for the translator. Bureaucracy at its best.  

Something that caught my wife-to-be off guard.  The very white CBP agent spoke fluent Tagalog in Los Angeles.  

7 hours ago, missileman said:

I know exactly how you feel..I thought my wife would NEVER come through the international arrivals door......but this so exciting, isn't it?  This is a new phase in your life and this journey.................

Same here. Took about 2 1/2 hours for us!  Atlanta airport was very busy!  

1 hour ago, EllisAndRenz said:

Florida is our home, so we'll likely do it there.

Where are you in Philly?  I work in King of Prussia.  (Multi-year project)

Oh cool , that makes sense. I work in center city so I’m mostly round about there . 

We we were lucky in that my fiancé came through from Cardiff to Dublin to Philly so his POE was actually in Ireland and after about 30 mins he was allowed through to Philly and didn’t have to go through it all again. The first time he came to visit he was kept for 2.5 hours because he was staying for a month 

Edited by NearEthereal

I'm about to do this in about one month...... 

*sweats profusely* 

Visa: CR1 (DCF)

2015-06-30  Started dating

2018-02-27  Married

2018-06-08  I-130 filed via DCF

2018-06-12  I-130 Notice of Approval

2018-10-05  Submitted DS-260 online and supplemental documents via CITIC Bank

2018-10-10  DS-260 approved

2018-11-27  Medical exam

2018-12-03  Interview Passed

2018-12-04  Visa issued

2018-12-07  Visa packet and passport picked up from CITIC Bank

Future steps:

May 2019  Move to U.S.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

When Mrs. T-B.-to-be entered 10.5 years ago, my dual reactions were relief and a distinct "Take that!" mental rejoinder to the rogue Guayaquil consulate, which tried its best to hose our togetherness.  Until the moment she entered, I still wasn't sure whether any final monkeyshines were in store.

It's understandable that the OP's fiancee was exhausted.  Mrs. T-B.-to-be looked dazed, and for good reason.  She had just been the center of 3 despedidas (going-away parties) in 3 Ecuadorian cities, including an all-nighter.  Within hours, I had to take her to the doctor to be treated for a roaring upper-respiratory infection.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
23 minutes ago, Mr. Data said:

I'm about to do this in about one month...... 

*sweats profusely* 

My wife (fiancé at the time) flew through Beijing when she came on her K1.  At the time we looked for flights that would allow her to POE in Detroit rather than to connect after POE since I was not accompanying her.  Her time through POE was about 20 minutes with no secondary.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Congratulations!!

When my wife arrived at the POE in Atlanta, they were so slow that I had to re-book our flights back to Seattle.   Well, after my wife finally passed through customs, she told me there was only 2 immigration officers working customs, which completely baffled me knowing how big ATL airport is.I was originally going to have her POE at JFK in NYC but after my experience after I had landed there after seeing her in Brazil, I had a long wait time at customs, so that's why I chose Atlanta to be her POE.  Anyways, your fiance is on U.S. soil now, so what a relief, best of luck!   

Timeline
8 minutes ago, edmtn said:

Congratulations!!

When my wife arrived at the POE in Atlanta, they were so slow that I had to re-book our flights back to Seattle.   Well, after my wife finally passed through customs, she told me there was only 2 immigration officers working customs, which completely baffled me knowing how big ATL airport is.I was originally going to have her POE at JFK in NYC but after my experience after I had landed there after seeing her in Brazil, I had a long wait time at customs, so that's why I chose Atlanta to be her POE.  Anyways, your fiance is on U.S. soil now, so what a relief, best of luck!   

Thank you! 

And OMG, *NEVER* use Atlanta as your POE.  I lived there 18 years, and even when I was flying home from overseas, I'd connect ANYWHERE ELSE to avoid using Atlanta as my POE.  Not only are they slow, but they are also incredibly rude and even militant.  I got thru there one time, and I stopped for a second to put my passport back in my bag and this large dude from CBP screams "YOU ARE IN A MOVING HALLWAY, KEEP MOVING !!!"   I just looked and said "Just as soon as I put my passport in my bag".  (I was literally 1 of 3 people in this massive hallway)

That was literally the last time I *EVER* used Atlanta for a POE.  Worst managed border crossing in the nation.  

30 minutes ago, EllisAndRenz said:

Thank you! 

And OMG, *NEVER* use Atlanta as your POE.  I lived there 18 years, and even when I was flying home from overseas, I'd connect ANYWHERE ELSE to avoid using Atlanta as my POE.  Not only are they slow, but they are also incredibly rude and even militant.  I got thru there one time, and I stopped for a second to put my passport back in my bag and this large dude from CBP screams "YOU ARE IN A MOVING HALLWAY, KEEP MOVING !!!"   I just looked and said "Just as soon as I put my passport in my bag".  (I was literally 1 of 3 people in this massive hallway)

That was literally the last time I *EVER* used Atlanta for a POE.  Worst managed border crossing in the nation.  

I used Atlanta as my POE when coming to the US. It took hours and I missed my connecting flight! It was frustrating and my poor husband bore the brunt of my frustrations haha

03/01/2019 - USCIS Chicago lockbox received case  for AOS/EAD/AP

03/21/2019 - NOA1 received hard copy via post (Notice date 03/14/2019)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
11 hours ago, NearEthereal said:

Oh cool , that makes sense. I work in center city so I’m mostly round about there . 

We we were lucky in that my fiancé came through from Cardiff to Dublin to Philly so his POE was actually in Ireland and after about 30 mins he was allowed through to Philly and didn’t have to go through it all again. The first time he came to visit he was kept for 2.5 hours because he was staying for a month 

I had my POE in Dublin too, it was such a breeze. It  took me about 10 minutes to get through to the Philly flight.

Also Philly filer here, so happy to see some more on here!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.