Scottish Mernymph

Apply for EAD & SSN two weeks from arrival....

32 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

....is what seems to be the advised way.....

If we've managed to pop along to the couthouse & get married in that time period would that make any difference to this please?

I would ideally like to obtain SSN & work permit asap.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Scottish Mernymph said:

If we've managed to pop along to the couthouse & get married in that time period would that make any difference to this please?

Once married you can file for AOS, EAD, and AP at same time.

EAD/AP combo card is taking about 4-7 months right now. It can be expedited if you have an official job offer and can show USCIS it but how long it takes to expedite i'm unsure of.

Follow the guides here and good luck : https://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

https://www.visajourney.com/content/k1aos

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

2 minutes ago, Scottish Mernymph said:

If you're a female and trying to apply for an SSN in your married name, you would undoubtedly run into problems.

The "advised way" is to apply for your SSN at DAY 14 after POE, wait for your SSN to come, get married and then file for AOS (plus EAD and AP) anytime after that. Of course, if you want to work ASAP, the sooner the better. EAD/AP is taking 4 to 6 months to approve currently with most having to wait 5.5 months.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

You can apply for a SS number right after arrival.  I would wait to apply and submit the I-485 (adjustment of Status), I-131(Advance Parole) , and I-765 (EAD) together....to avoid extra fees.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

32 minutes ago, missileman said:

....to avoid extra fees.

To avoid what fees? The I-765 and/or I-131 can be filed for free with a photocopy of the I-485 receipt notice if the I-485 was already filed; https://www.uscis.gov/news/questions-and-answers/uscis-issue-employment-authorization-and-advance-parole-card-adjustment-status-applicants-questions-and-answers:

Q5. How much does this card cost?

A5. If you submitted an application for adjustment of status on or after July 30, 2007 (or on or after August 18, 2007, for employment-based cases), you will pay only one fee to file Form I-485, Form I-765 and Form I-131. The fee for Form I-485 is <outdated fee> and there is no separate fee for Forms I-765 and I-131 associated with a Form I-485. For those cases that were filed under the old fee structure, the costs for this card will equal the combined costs of filing Forms I-131 and I-765, which is a total of <outdated fee>. Visit www.uscis.gov/fees for more information.

Timeline
8 minutes ago, accumbyte said:

To avoid what fees? The I-765 and/or I-131 can be filed for free with a photocopy of the I-485 receipt notice if the I-485 was already filed; https://www.uscis.gov/news/questions-and-answers/uscis-issue-employment-authorization-and-advance-parole-card-adjustment-status-applicants-questions-and-answers:

The OP stated he/she wants to file for SSN & EAD asap.  There was no mention of filing the I-485 first or even at the same time.  If he/she files the EAD first, then a fee would have to be sent.  That's why I stated that I would file the EAD along with AOS......but you are correct that application for the EAD could be made AFTER the AOS without an additional fee.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

You don’t need a ssn to get married.

Ssn can be requested at day one, with everything being electronic you’re likely to show up on the database right away. To be on the safe side you can wait the two weeks and go.

to start working you’d need an ead and the best way to file for it isn’t alongside aos, and you’ll need your marriage certificate first in order to apply. 

Its taking around 5 months or more to get the ead after filing just FYI 

Timeline
1 minute ago, p-ana said:

to start working you’d need an ead and the best way to file for it isn’t alongside aos,

Really?  

48 minutes ago, p-ana said:

You don’t need a ssn to get married.

Ssn can be requested at day one, with everything being electronic you’re likely to show up on the database right away. To be on the safe side you can wait the two weeks and go.

to start working you’d need an ead and the best way to file for it isn’t alongside aos, and you’ll need your marriage certificate first in order to apply. 

Its taking around 5 months or more to get the ead after filing just FYI 

That will be expensive

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

@Scottish Mernymph do not wait for social security 14 days after POE. you would have wasted 14 days for no reason. The manual verification can take few days and if you are lucky SS# can be issued as far as i know in 10 days the quickest or about latest 8 weeks. This is from VJ members. My wife had hers in 4 weeks.

8/7/2017                    NOA-1

3/1/2018                    NOA-2

3/15/2018                  NVC case received

3/22/2018                  NVC case assigned

3/23/2018                  Consulate ready

4/11/2018                  Medical

4/17/2018                  Visa Approved

4/24/2018                  Visa on hand

5/23/2018                  Point of Entry ATL

5/24/2018                  Marriage license, officiant and certificate / applied for SS#

5/31/2018                  AOS/AP/EAD

6/7/2018                    email notification of NOA-1

6/11/2018                  NOA-1 hard copies for AOS/EAD/AP

6/27/2018                  Biometrics for AOS/EAD

7/7/2018                    ready to be scheduled for interview

7/11/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (email from USCIS)

8/22/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (same email again)

9/5/2018                     We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is getting boring!!!)

10/3/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is insanity, 4th time while some got GC)

10/17/2018                After 136 days of wait in HELL, finally EAD in production

10/21/2018                Card was mailed to me, and yes it said so on a Sunday night, while Vj-ing

10/22/2018                Card was picked up by the USPS

10/24/2018                EAD in hand. F%^&& finally

12/28/2018                Interview has been scheduled. Waiting for notification with date by snail mail

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
3 hours ago, Scottish Mernymph said:

The two week wait on SSN was back from when you filled out an I-94 arrival card on the plane and the airport had to send to a data center, then somebody had to manually enter and upload to the SAVE database. Now the info comes from scanning your passport so it's automated and available immediately. Your I-94 arrival record is online to download and print. If you find that online, then your arrival is already recorded.

The deal with the SSN is that some offices have clueless workers who just don't understand immigration. A K1 is eligible for a SSN up until two weeks before their 90 days are up, married or not. But uninformed workers have told people "Oh, you got married so you are now a K3 and not eligible". BS!  Your visa can't magically change to a different visa. 

Best bet in case you happen to get a clueless person is just don't bring up marriage or ask for the social in any new name. Apply in the exact name printed on your I-94 even if they run together your middle names like JOHNDAVID SMITH. It happens. Be JohnDavid. They have to find the name immigration has recorded, or they do manual verification which takes time being mailed off to USCIS. Get the SSN and sort the names out later. That is easy to do once you have EAD or a greencard. If given any flack, ask for a supervisor who should know the rules and don't leave until they let you see one. I was already married and had sent off AOS before going to the Social Security office. Had a good worker and the card received in the mail within a week.

Do not spend the money to apply for a K1 EAD by itself. It is only good for your 90 days after POE. It will take longer than 90 days to get approved, so will do you no good because if you got it, it would be expired already. Apply for AOS and get EAD/AP filing for free. Three separate applications going in the same envelope. Each has it's own set of documentation and each asks for 2 photos so read the directions of each form as a separate submission, even thought you mail in one packet. 

Edited by Wuozopo

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

Hey guys,

I got to the states December 29th and today we went to get a SSN but the lady in the desk told us I cant apply for one without first filing the I-765 form. We are getting married in 3 weeks. 

So I’m so confused and lost because after reading comments about this topic I thought I could get a SSN before marrying but now that she said I can’t, I don’t know if we should wait after we are married or just try again next week... 🤷🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️

5 minutes ago, Icamarn said:

I got to the states December 29th and today we went to get a SSN but the lady in the desk told us I cant apply for one without first filing the I-765 form. We are getting married in 3 weeks. 

So I’m so confused and lost because after reading comments about this topic I thought I could get a SSN before marrying but now that she said I can’t, I don’t know if we should wait after we are married or just try again next week... 🤷🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️

Unfortunately, you got somebody who doesn't know the rules surrounding K-1 status. Spin the wheel again.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

4 hours ago, missileman said:

Really?  

3 hours ago, little immigrant said:

That will be expensive

On mobile and typed it wrong. My bad.

best way to get the ead IS filing alongside aos

Can only get a SS card once EAD is approved otherwise, if issued it will reflect in bold. "Employment not authorized".

Save yourself the hassle to replace at a later date.

SSA offices are always packed, worse than DMV.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.