Katerina Hall

I got married, my husband decided to divorce me, so I left US and what to do now

45 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, Kiolas said:

Hello @Katerina Hall

I was very upset to read that your husband betrayed you and filed for divorce. 

First of all, I totally understand you want your document back. But I am not sure how you can get it back if he doesn't want to give it to you. If you were here, in the U.S., you could file a police report with e-mail as a proof that he has your work permit.

You can try to get a tourist visa but considering your particular case it may be problematic. But at least, you have a chance to try to apply for it and see what happens. 

In addition, you may be eligible for spousal support and to try to get something from his assets. You deserve it because he did a bad thing to you - a miscarriage. It is his fault and he has to pay for it.

Thank you, that’s what my friend told me, if he doesn’t want to send it to me, then I should send somebody I know to his house with police and he would give it to them on my name, because he can’t keep my mail. I know it’s maybe for some people strange, that I want my mail with something, that is useless, but it’s still mine and I got like 5 letters and have no idea, what’s in it. And I dont think I have a need to argue with him over money after all.. I just want it to be done. But thank you so much!

7 minutes ago, Kiolas said:

@Katerina Hall I was searching for solution to your situation. Considering horrible things that your husband did to you, you may be eligible for VAWA (Violence Against Women Act) - have you heard about it?

You may apply for it even from another country. You can search this forum about VAWA. There is info on USCIS web-site https://www.uscis.gov/humanitarian/battered-spouse-children-parents#process

Thank you for your help, I will check it out

11 minutes ago, carmel34 said:

If you can afford an attorney in the US, where your husband lives, (and you should have one anyway in my opinion to have a better chance of getting a better divorce outcome and hold this guy accountable), work with the attorney by email and state that in addition to some of your husband's financial assets, you want the work permit that is yours, as well as any items you left behind that are yours and not your husband's.  What state did you live in together?  This is important, because your rights in a divorce, and what you are entitled to, is different depending on state law.  So sorry this happened to you.

That’s the thing I cant afford a lawyer now:(, we got married and lived in Pennsylvania, Pittsburgh. Anyway when I misscaried, I went to the hospital to do the surgery and we got a bill for 4000 dollars.. which I didnt have the money  and obviously he was working and I wasn’t, so now I dont know, what is gonna happen with that bill either.. I’m sure he didn’t pay it, especially, when it’s on my name. 

And that’s why I said either me or my lawyer should be presented at the divorce:/ but I cant afford the lawyer now.

12 minutes ago, carmel34 said:

If you can afford an attorney in the US, where your husband lives, (and you should have one anyway in my opinion to have a better chance of getting a better divorce outcome and hold this guy accountable), work with the attorney by email and state that in addition to some of your husband's financial assets, you want the work permit that is yours, as well as any items you left behind that are yours and not your husband's.  What state did you live in together?  This is important, because your rights in a divorce, and what you are entitled to, is different depending on state law.  So sorry this happened to you.

I had a very bad experience with lawyers. My personal opinion - they are after the money only. They do not care about the client or the client's interest.

Especially, a lawyer can take advantage of a person who is abroad. From another country the client is totally helpless to file a complaint about a lawyer if something goes wrong with that lawyer.

ROC

12/11/2018 - I-751 mailed (requested a fee waiver) to Lewisville, TX via FedEx

12/13/2018 - package delivered 

01/02/2019 - received text message from USCIS with case number starting with EAC

01/12/2019 - submitted online e-Request for non-delivery of NOA (the extension letter)

01/24/2019 - received the response to e-Request via e-mail, which says: "Please allow 30 days from the date of this correspondence for the notice to be sent".

01/28/2019 - received NOA (the extension letter), which extends GC for 18 months

01/29/2019 - received biometrics appointment letter

02/08/2019 - biometrics completed

1 hour ago, Kiolas said:

Hello @Katerina Hall

I was very upset to read that your husband betrayed you and filed for divorce. 

First of all, I totally understand you want your document back. But I am not sure how you can get it back if he doesn't want to give it to you. If you were here, in the U.S., you could file a police report with e-mail as a proof that he has your work permit.

You can try to get a tourist visa but considering your particular case it may be problematic. But at least, you have a chance to try to apply for it and see what happens. 

In addition, you may be eligible for spousal support and to try to get something from his assets. You deserve it because he did a bad thing to you - a miscarriage. It is his fault and he has to pay for it.

OP hasn't really said anything to suggest abuse. All she's said so far is that her ex left her alone and then went back to his ex. Unless she left something out (which I doubt), I don't think she qualifies for VAWA.

2 minutes ago, mushroomspore said:

OP hasn't really said anything to suggest abuse. All she's said so far is that her ex left her alone and then went back to his ex. Unless she left something out (which I doubt), I don't think she qualifies for VAWA.

I politely disagree. She did say about abuse. Miscarriage and cheating - what worse could he do?!

ROC

01/02/2019 - received text message from USCIS with case number starting with EAC

01/12/2019 - submitted online e-Request for non-delivery of NOA (the extension letter)

01/24/2019 - received the response to e-Request via e-mail, which says: "Please allow 30 days from the date of this correspondence for the notice to be sent".

01/28/2019 - received NOA (the extension letter), which extends GC for 18 months

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
2 hours ago, Katerina Hall said:

Thank you, that’s what my friend told me, if he doesn’t want to send it to me, then I should send somebody I know to his house with police and he would give it to them on my name, because he can’t keep my mail. I know it’s maybe for some people strange, that I want my mail with something, that is useless, but it’s still mine and I got like 5 letters and have no idea, what’s in it. And I dont think I have a need to argue with him over money after all.. I just want it to be done. But thank you so much!

The police does not work that way.  The police will not show up at his house to demand your property back.  That's for the court, not the police. 

If you want your documents, then ask for the judge in your divorce case to make the order.  

55 minutes ago, Kiolas said:

I politely disagree. She did say about abuse. Miscarriage and cheating - what worse could he do?!

Miscarriage is VAWA?  How?

Cheating is VAWA?  How?  

2 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

Miscarriage is VAWA?  How?

Cheating is VAWA?  How?  

If you read all of her posts on this forum, you maybe understand (or maybe not).

I'm surprised that people who post replies on this forum have so much negativity and are so judgmental against women, without any compassion towards women who experienced cruelty and abuse by men. People, be kind to each other! God bless you all🙏 

ROC

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.