SafeTravels

Any harm in asking for EAD at POE (JFK)?

41 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, TNJ17 said:

I don’t know where you got that information but K1s cannot do that. You’re coming on a non immigrant visa with immigrant intent but your immigrant status will only be valid after your marriage and AOS. Non immigrants have to apply for work authorization through USCIS. That is the only way. There’s no such thing as getting an EAD stamp at POE. You got wrong information from somewhere. 

Hold on there Hombre! At one time this was such an item. They discontinued it about 10 or so years ago. I'm sure the OP heard it spoken somewhere and wants to give it a try. Funny thing is he's entering a free country so he gets to ask the question. No harm in that is there? Either way, he does know that eventually he will follow the intent of the K-1 visa and get married and file is AOS package to include the EAD authorization with USCIS.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

The K1 stamp pre dated the current verification  ( E-Verify) so it would be of no use.   It actually ended about 8 years ago .  

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

No harm in asking, but you're not getting in. 😛

Do you think if it was that simple, we would still have dozens of dozens of K1 immigrants complaining about not working for months?

Should have done CR1 visa if you wanted to work ASAP.

Now be ready to wait anywhere from 4 to 6 months before you receive your EAD.

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
1 hour ago, Roel said:

No harm in asking, but you're not getting in. 😛

I should hope I am getting IN! Although that's kind of what my original question was about: does asking hurt my chances of being admitted into the country?

1 hour ago, Roel said:

Should have done CR1

EAD is important but not as important as having POE as soon as possible, when we applied it seemed that K1 was the fastest way of being together. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

K1 is still quicker but you have a loong wait for EAD.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

K1 is (for the most part) the fastest way you will be together.

CR1 is the fastest way to get to the US and start working, as you are a resident upon entry.

If your prime objective was to be together you picked right.

If your prime objective was to be together and be able to to work immediately, you picked the wrong door, my friend.

On the bright side, you and your love will be together soon and that's a good thing.

27 minutes ago, EmilyW said:

K1 is (for the most part) the fastest way you will be together.

CR1 is the fastest way to get to the US and start working, as you are a resident upon entry.

If your prime objective was to be together you picked right.

If your prime objective was to be together and be able to to work immediately, you picked the wrong door, my friend.

On the bright side, you and your love will be together soon and that's a good thing.

I agree.

EAD takes somewhere between 4 and 6 months. 

ROC Timeline

08/16/19: sent I-751 packet to USCIS Lockbox in Dallas

08/19/19: packet received by USCIS

08/21/19: received text message with case number ( Texas Service Center)

08/23/19: check got chashed

08/26/19: received extension letter in the mail

11/14/19: Biometrics appointment

04/28/20: case got transferred to my local field office in Atlanta

05/28/20: New Card Is Being Produced

05/29/20: New Card Got Approved

06/02/20: We Mailed Your New Card

06/03/20: The Post Office Picked Up Your New Card

06/04/20: Card Was Delivered To Me By The Post Office

Timeline

After you marry and adjust of course.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Thanks for all the replies everyone. However, nobody has directly addressed my question from the beginning: is it suspicious if I ask for EAD?

Things that I know:

• Nobody has gotten EAD at POE in recent years with K1.
  • It's probably futile to ask for EAD.
  • You have to file for EAD with AOS if you do K1 and want long term work authorisation.
  • K1 visa holders are eligible for EAD but the application would take longer than the 90 days the visa is for, and thus it makes more sense to do it with AOS.
  • CR1 grants EAD on arrival as part of the green card.
  • CR1 is slower for entry but faster for permission to work.
  • I made the right choice of visa for my priorities, and am not confused about CR1 or AOS.

Things I do not know:

• Whether asking for EAD at the border is suspicious and thus harms my chance of entry.

Timeline

It is not probably futile, it is futile.

1 hour ago, SafeTravels said:

Thanks for all the replies everyone. However, nobody has directly addressed my question from the beginning: is it suspicious if I ask for EAD?

Things that I know:

• You have to file for EAD with AOS if you do K1 and want long term work authorisation.
  • K1 visa holders are eligible for EAD but the application would take longer than the 90 days the visa is for, and thus it makes more sense to do it with AOS.
  • CR1 grants EAD on arrival as part of the green card.
  • I made the right choice of visa for my priorities, and am not confused about CR1 or AOS.

Things I do not know:

• Whether asking for EAD at the border is suspicious and thus harms my chance of entry.

You can ask, with the turnover in staff, the most likely answer is that they won't know what you are talking about. 

Should you insist, they might think you're set on working as soon as possible, and you'll be told you need to apply for your EAD first.

There's no benefit or big harm in asking the question, but it's useless. Kind of asking them for chocolate or champagne. 

2 hours ago, SafeTravels said:

You're not looking hard enough...this was responded to by a number of people clearly saying there is no harm in asking.

2 hours ago, SafeTravels said:

Things that I know:

• CR1 grants EAD on arrival as part of the green card. They are allowed to work upon arrival. No EAD is needed or issued for an LPR.

Things I do not know:

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.