MaryJean

Older American woman younger Egyptian man

38 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
34 minutes ago, MaryJean said:

I wish I had the means and luxury of traveling back and forth to Egypt but I am not a rich woman and I have commitments here that prevent me from traveling. I'm lucky that I'm managing to get there for one visit. And I can't relocate to Egypt.  

I realize that the Consular officer has all the power in the world to judge our relationship and just a few minutes but it seems so unfair that someone who doesn't know us gets to make such an important decision that will affect both of our lives forever.

this is not a judgement and please do not take it wrong but if u do not have the money to travel, u willl not be able to afford the visa process

all in all it costs me over $35000 to do all immigration wanted me to do

this is not fast

this is not cheap

this will not be easy

you must be prepared for multiple visits / plenty of face time

and a tough embassy like ours

you can make it but it will be along and hard vj 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Presumably there would be no issue if you are the one that need to move. Sounds like your family are grown and have their own lives.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

The reason he stated for his tourist visa was that he was coming to visit a friend, me.  We were not engaged at that time.  He will most likely say again that he is coming to visit me when he applies for a B2 Visa in August.  Will that hurt or help us?  I'm so confused right now I'm not sure what we should do.

And to your second point about visiting him during the application process, that's already something we did speak about.  And we thought it would be a good idea for me to try to at least come for one more visit after the initial visit/marriage trip. 

Do you think our chances would be greater if I went for 2 weeks and then came back and applied for the K1 visa?  I've heard that because of our age difference the K-1 Visa will be more difficult than the cr1?  What do you all think?

I know this is not going to be cheap easy or quick.  I don't mind the part that it's difficult because I expected that, I am not financially well off but I find a way for that part of it. I'm hoping that 35000 mentioned in a previous comment was a typo and it was really supposed to be 3500???What scares me most is the timeline of all of this. I'm not getting any younger and I want to start whatever I have left of my life with this man.  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Many of us visited during the process, the fact that he can afford a holiday in the US has to be a plus, I would imagine he is in a minority.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

10 minutes ago, MaryJean said:

I'm hoping that 35000 mentioned in a previous comment was a typo and it was really supposed to be 3500???

the application fees alone are more than 3500. for a "no re-application", routine, easy case ie no lawyers. if i remember correctly, the poster above were initially denied and had to re-apply and had to use lawyers and the whole process took several years including the appeals process, so yeah the additional 0 sounds about right!

Passport 17-Feb-22 Drop-off at USPS (expedited processing and shipping) ~ 22-Feb-22 Status: In Process ~ 08-Mar-22 Passport book shipped ~ 09-Mar-22 Status: Approved. Passport book in hand.

N-400     28-Jun-21 Filed online ~ 28-Jun-21 Received NOA + "Biometrics will be re-used" notice ~ 14-Dec-21 Interview scheduled ~ 25-Jan-22 Interview. Approved. Case status: Oath will be scheduled.  ~ 01-Feb-22 Oath scheduled. ~ 14-Feb-22 Oath ceremony.   

ROC        11-Jun-20 Application sent via FedEx ~ 16-Jun-20 Case received ~ 29-Jun-20 (Old) biometrics applied to case ~ 01-Jul-20 NOA ~ 23-Dec-21 Case transferred to new office ~ 25-Jan-22 Combo interview with N400. Case approved. 

AOS        13-Oct -17 Application sent via FedEx ~ 17-Oct-17 Case received ~ 24-Oct-17 Fingerprint fee received ~ 25-Oct-17 NOA1 ~ 17-Nov-17 Biometrics ~ 23-Nov-17 Status "We are scheduling
                 your 
interview" ~ 24-Jul-18 Status "We have scheduled your interview" ~ 28-Jul-18 Interview notice received in the mail  ~ 29-Aug-18 Interview 30-Aug-18 Status "Case was approved" 

04-Sep-18 Received approval / welcome letter in the mail ~04-Sep-18 Status: "Card was mailed to me" ~07-Sep-18 Green card received

EAD/AP  13-Oct Application sent via FedEx ~ 17-Oct Case received ~ 25-Oct NOA1 ~ 17-Nov Biometrics ~ 09-Jan Approved ~ 13-Jan Notice received ~ 18-Jan Combo card received

K1 Visa   28-Jun-17 Case ready (No packet 3 received) ~ 22-Jul Medical ~ 02-Aug Interview (APPROVED!) ~ 03-Aug Visa issued ~ 08-Aug VOH ~ 14-Sep POE (Abu Dhabi) ~ 01-Oct-17 Got married! 

I-129F     17-Feb-17 Petition sent via FedEx ~ 21-Feb-17 Case received ~ 24-Feb-17 NOA1 ~ 30-May-17 NOA2 12-Jun-17 NVC received / Case and Invoice numbers assigned ~ 20-Jun-17 NVC left

7 minutes ago, MaryJean said:

The reason he stated for his tourist visa was that he was coming to visit a friend, me.  We were not engaged at that time.  He will most likely say again that he is coming to visit me when he applies for a B2 Visa in August.  Will that hurt or help us?  I'm so confused right now I'm not sure what we should do.

And to your second point about visiting him during the application process, that's already something we did speak about.  And we thought it would be a good idea for me to try to at least come for one more visit after the initial visit/marriage trip. 

Do you think our chances would be greater if I went for 2 weeks and then came back and applied for the K1 visa?  I've heard that because of our age difference the K-1 Visa will be more difficult than the cr1?  What do you all think?

I know this is not going to be cheap easy or quick.  I don't mind the part that it's difficult because I expected that, I am not financially well off but I find a way for that part of it. I'm hoping that 35000 mentioned in a previous comment was a typo and it was really supposed to be 3500???What scares me most is the timeline of all of this. I'm not getting any younger and I want to start whatever I have left of my life with this man.  

The $35000 figure is probably in reference to all travel costs going back and forth PLUS application fees. We're just trying to help you understand what you and your significant other are in for by undertaking the US immigration process. It's a VERY sensitive topic, especially right now. The government are not just trying to curb illegal immigration; they are now expressing desires to curb legal immigration too. The US immigration agencies are not playing around. I understand the desire to just get it over with but trying to force or rush this is where people make life-changing mistakes. I'm not trying to scare you; just trying to be real about it. None of us have very much control over the process. It will take as long as it takes. So the things you CAN control (collecting evidence that presents an honest well-developed romantic relationship etc) MUST be done well and correctly.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
9 minutes ago, MaryJean said:

It will hurt you. Because it gives him a significant reason to just stay in the US and immigrate, rather than return back home, which is what the tourist visa is for. At the same time, there is nothing you can do about it. You cannot lie or have any misrepresentation as that can be a permanent bar for him to get any type of visa. He has to answer honestly and he will most likely be denied. That is why it is hard to get a tourist visa from a country like Egypt. 

11 minutes ago, MaryJean said:

From an immigration standpoint, CR1s are easier than K1s because of the strength of the bond (marriage vs engaged). But despite that, any of these visas you apply for, where you just met once, will be difficult to obtain. So just from an immigration perspective, the strongest application would be if you visited at least twice before interview stage, comprising some meaningful amount of time, and even better if you got married on the 2nd trip rather than the first. 

14 minutes ago, MaryJean said:

If you have a real and meaningful love, it will survive this process. Good luck!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Many of us visited during the process, the fact that he can afford a holiday in the US has to be a plus, I would imagine he is in a minority.

It really depends what country you are from. You are from a VWP country, which is treated very differently than one which is not. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

Your age difference, in my personal experience is not a determining factor.

I am the beneficiary and I am over 15+ older than my US husband, this is completely out of the norm in my culture or his. But we had lived together for more than 7 years before we decided to get married and move the the US.

Why don't you meet your internet acquaintance few times before making any decision. round trip ticket from US to Egypt should be well under 1,000.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
26 minutes ago, MaryJean said:

Counting our failed K1, our current cr1 and my trips and wedding, we've easily spent $10k in the past two years and my husband isn't here yet. No lawyer. 

They had a failed k1, failed cr1 and lawyer to appeal. It took them 6 years and yes I do believe they spent $35k due to an age difference similar to you. 

As others have said if all that matters is being together, moving there is the best option. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

no the $35000 was correct for alll things immigration had us do 

had to travel multiple times (costly) to satisfy the seeing each other in the last 2 years before each interview  (plus additional meeting and marriage and they wanted to see honeymoon )

the docmentation and translarion are costly

the RFE was a lot of work with affidaifits they asked for

the fees for 3 applications and the appeal fee

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.