audaud

Is our planned wedding date reasonable for our K1 Visa?

30 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Would be interesting to see the answer... we have plans along similar lines except our NoA1 was Oct. 2nd and our planned wedding date is Aug. 8th.

Following with historical timelines for current processing, her visa should be around late June.

Removing Conditions 

I-751 Sent:    04-Nov-2020

i-751 Received: 10-Nov-2020

Fee charged: 14-Dec-2020

NoA1: 14-Dec-2020

NoA1 Received: 17-Dec-2020

24 mo. Extension: 15-Nov-2021

Don't plan anything, don't pay for anything that can't be refunded, etc.

No one will guarantee you that you're K1 will be issued by August.

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

You have about six months to enter the US and then 90 days to get married. You'll have close to 9 months to pick a date and plan your wedding AFTER you get your visa. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Or just marry first and then apply for supposal visa.

I am constantly puzzled why people from countries like UK (with pretty much unrestricted travel between the country and the US) apply for K-1 visas at all.

Edited by OutOfThisWorld

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
28 minutes ago, Roel said:

Don't plan anything, don't pay for anything that can't be refunded, etc.

No one will guarantee you that you're K1 will be issued by August.

Couldnt agree more.

8/14/17 --- AOS sent I-485, I-765, I-131

8/16/17 --- AOS Packet received Chicago USCIS Day 0

8/21/17  --- Received email & text notification 

8/23/17  --- Received hard copy of NOA  

9/01/17  --- Biometrics letter notice for I-485 & I-765 & I-131  

9/11/17  --- Biometrics Appointment Done

10/17/17 - Case Is Ready To Be Scheduled For An Interview

11/30/2017 - EAD/AP Approved
12/01/2017 - Card in Production
12/05/2017 - Received Approval Notice in the Mail
12/06//2017 - Card Mailed (Priority Mail) to Me
12/07/2017 - Card Received 

1/19/18  --- Interview Date 2/21

2/21/18  ---  Approved on the Spot

• 1 hour after the interview received uscis mobile app alert
  • Status changed from "Interview is scheduled" to "New Card Is Being Produced

2/26/18  --- Received hard copy of NOA for the Green Card

2/26/18  --- USCIS Mobile Status changed to "Card was mailed to me"

2/28/18 --- Permanent Resident/Green Card received :jest:

Travelling with Combo Card Feedback 

AOS Interview - Review and Tips

Brazil Instructions After i-129F Approval    and  Emails Sent by NVC and Brazilian Embassy after the i-129F approval

B2 Visa Experience / Mother-in-law financially challenged for visa

Please register for informed delivery if it is applicable in your region - USPS INFORMED DELIVERY

NVC - (603)-334-0700

USCIS - 800-375-5283

" Have you tried the search tool? K1 isnt an easy process and a LOT of reading is required to avoid problems (RFEs) etc, if you dont like reading, be prepared to spend WAY more time and couple more $$$ with an lawyer " 

9 hours ago, OutOfThisWorld said:

Or just marry first and then apply for supposal visa.

I am constantly puzzled why people from countries like UK (with pretty much unrestricted travel between the country and the US) apply for K-1 visas at all.

This! This! This! 

Being able to marry in the place of our choosing and on the timescale of our choosing (and not have it controlled by USCIS and their employees’ speed at going through files) was one of the many reasons why we went for the CR-1. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
9 hours ago, audaud said:

Hiya, we are currently awaiting our NOA2. We got NOA1 November 22nd, 2017. My fiancé is from the UK.

We are planning our wedding for August 18th.. does that seem feasible? Or should we extend the day ?

I would not plan for anything until you have a visa in hand 😊 it will be very stressful if you do. Good luck! 

I think the only things you can prepare is buying wedding dress and wedding bands. Other than that, it's better for you not to prepare or plan anything. Everything can be unpredictable with USCIS. I agree with one of posters here. Once you got the visa, you have 6 months to prepare and 3 months to fine tuning everything once your fiance enter the country. Good luck!

Edited by iwir

K1 VISA: Done in 346 days

Spoiler

Jan 5, 2018: Preparation Started                                                                                   October 31, 2018: Medical Check Up                                                           

Jan 19, 2018: I-129F Packet Sent                                                                                  Nov 2, 2018: Consulate Received                                                                              

Jan 22, 2018: Electronic NOA1 Received                                                                     Nov 6, 2018: Packet 4 Received

Feb 1, 2018: Hard Copy NOA1 Received                                                                       Dec 6, 2018: Interview (APPROVED!!!)

Oct 2, 2018: NOA2 (254 DAYS after NOA1) ***No RFE                                             Dec 11, 2018: Visa Received

Oct 16, 2018: NVC Received                                                                                           Dec 17, 2018: POE (11 Months and 12 days since Starting K1)

October 30, 2018: NVC Left

AOS | SF Local Office: Done in 357 days

Spoiler

Dec 17, 2018: POE                                                                                                                March 5, 2019: Biometrics at ASC in SF

Dec 27, 2018: Apply for SSN                                                                                               March 5, 2019: I-485 and I-765 Status Changed to Fingerprint Review Was Complete 

Jan 11, 2019: Wedding                                                                                                        May 15, 2019: I-485 Status Changed to Case Is Ready to be Scheduled for Interview (New Site Only)

Jan 14, 2019: AOS Preparation Started (1 Year 9 Days Since Starting K1)                May 23, 2019: EAD/AP Approved (97 days since NOA1)

Jan 15, 2019: SSN Card Received                                                                                     December 6, 2019: EAD/AP Renewal sent

Jan 29, 2019: Marriage Certificate Picked Up                                                                 December 9, 2019: EAD/AP Renewal NOA1

Feb 5, 2019: AOS Package Sent                                                                                         December 23, 2019: I-485 Case is Scheduled for Interview (Old Site Only)

Feb 11, 2019: NOA1                                                                                                             January 27, 2020: Interview in San Jose Field Office (Approved)

Feb 19, 2019: NOA1 Received by Mail                                                                              February 3, 2020 : Green Card in Hand

Feb 22, 2019: Biometrics Notification Received by Mail

ROC | California Service Center: Done in 410 days

Nov 2, 2021: ROC Package Sent

Nov 5, 2021: Package delivered

Nov 8, 2021: Text received (WAC)

Nov 9, 2021: Check cashed

Nov 12, 2021: Hard copy of NOA1 received

April 20, 2022: Biometric is waived

Dec 9, 2022: Card is being produced (No interview)

Dec 13, 2022: Case was approved

Dec 16, 2022: GC on hand

📊 I-751 November 2021 Filers Google Sheet 📅

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vonQCJgs9HODO2Y1DdSs3HNyL_FRnMfenlIeDQAUpWg/edit#gid=806913795

11 hours ago, audaud said:

Hiya, we are currently awaiting our NOA2. We got NOA1 November 22nd, 2017. My fiancé is from the UK.

We are planning our wedding for August 18th.. does that seem feasible? Or should we extend the day ?

I would say, it's kinda pushing it. Normal processing time until visa granted is 7-9 Months.

let says 9 Months - so August is really kinda pushing it.

I wouldn't book anything fix and make any commitment. we saw so many cases though your are approved under or within normal processing time anything could still happen i.e. you have to do extra treatment for medical which could be 3-6 months, or maybe something else happen :) 

Again, it's highly recommended to not book anything.

:)

ROC

- Mailed June 27,2020

- Delivered July 1, 2020

- SMS with Case Nr. SRC  and Check cashed July 8, 2020 

- NOA received July 20,2020- NOA dated July 14,2020

-Fingersprinting applied notification - Aug 10,2020

- Card being produced - Nov 2, 2020

We haven’t booked anything, just buying decor and things like that. The venue is free and non public (belongs to a friend) so that is no issue. 

As for Cr-1 over k1, I’ve been able to be with my fiancé the entire time we have been waiting for our k1 to process. He was over on an esta when we applied, and I flew back to England with him. So I would definitely take being with my fiancé as much as possible and sooner vs the other. We are both young (21) so I’m not too stressed about waiting for the green card and other steps required after our wedding. We have time. We just want to be back home in the states already!

anyway thanks for all the opinions.

2 hours ago, iwir said:

I think the only things you can prepare is buying wedding dress and wedding bands. Other than that, it's better for you not to prepare or plan anything. Everything can be unpredictable with USCIS. I agree with one of posters here. Once you got the visa, you have 6 months to prepare and 3 months to fine tuning everything once your fiance enter the country. Good luck!

Honestly there's plenty more that can be planned, but it will depend on your personal ideal wedding. 

Cake is easy enough to plan - decide the flavour you like, do some tastings while visiting (or have your partner do them if you trust their taste/don't care) and put a deposit down with a "to be confirmed" date. Same with catering.

Venue will depend heavily on availability, but if you're not fussed about venue, I know people who have gotten amazingly cheap deals for last minute dates. 

The real issue IMO is if you want a big wedding and to give your friends/family a chance to attend, is booking it far enough in advance to give them time to book time off work/flights to come along (and allow time for visa processing if needed). 

But as others have pointed out - upto 6 months (from the day of your medical to enter) then 90 days to marry gives plenty of time.  The day visa is in hand is the day you should set your date and then you've got something to work towards, not backwards FROM a date you've pre-set. 

3 hours ago, audaud said:

We are both young (21) so I’m not too stressed about waiting for the green card and other steps required after our wedding.

I'd actually start worrying about it and your age doesn't matter here much.

You should start slowly thinking about AOS - it is expensive so maybe start planning those expenses, especially since the foreign fiance won't be able to work for a good 3 to 4 months (or longer, it takes a while to get work permit now). Then two years down the road you'll have RoC, another 600$ for USCIS and more paperwork - paperwork that it's good to start gathering during marriage.

Just saying.

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.