MeAlone

USC Marriage Fraud experience and what would I do different

147 posts in this topic

Timeline

This Topic is for to share our experience, many USC are suffering the Marriage Fraud, manipulation, abuse and many things more hurting us for years or for life.

Let's share our stories and think what could we do different based on our experience and knowledge now.

Immigrants have all the rights and protection in our country. What do we have, we US citizens? Spending a lot and making a lot of documents for to be with our loved ones. Do we deserve being used, manipulated, abused and even send to jail because of our best feelings and intentions? What kind of legal help do we have? What kind of support?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Often we see a certain theme, especially when going through certain Consulates.

So certainly you can cut down the risk by avoiding those.

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Roel said:

Uhm no. As a foreigner I would NOT want to abandon my life, my job, etc for a whole year just to see if my relationship works out. That would be easy for USC since they are home. K1 IS 90 days for a reason. No one forces you to marry that fast but the idea is that you're suppose to get to know each other before k1 arrival. 

Unfortunately we can not live abroad for 1 year either and even living there, you never know how this person will behave in America. Many are so nice in their own country but in their mind America is El Dorado and if the USC doesn't give them gold and luxury life here, he/she is a bad person and they move on thinking Americans are stupid and it is easy to find the next one but with much more money rich.

Timeline
41 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Often we see a certain theme, especially when going through certain Consulates.

So certainly you can cut down the risk by avoiding those.

I wouldn't say it depends on the country, the percentage of honest people and cheaters is the same all around the world and in any country.

Timeline

1. If you US Citizen, feel the person you married is very different coming to your house, emotionally and verbally abusive and very distant, if you feel something is wrong and instead of honey moon time it's all worse and worse, listen your guts. Watch, think, analyze and do NOT get married, or if you already did, do NOT send the AOS, or if you already did, get the InfoPass and cancel your Affidavit of Support.

After that divorce him/her, keep yourself at a safe distance once you start to divorce or annul your marriage, live apart or bring a roommate to be your every day witness, do not play the immigrant games about abuse, keep calm

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
1 hour ago, MeAlone said:

Also the people behave different when they see an American abroad, walking dollar, free meal ticket, free way to America and it cost only a nice smile and love, easy game for many of them.

After my experience, I would say, more face time but here, in US, not marrying so fast. Maybe the new law, not 90 days but 1 year here for a foreigner to see our country, to see both of us in the same house and decide to marry. 1 year living together can give you the idea if it works. 1 year with a work permit but no green card, AOS after 1 year together here.

AOS itself in DFW area took us 16 months... So...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Also the people behave different when they see an American abroad, walking dollar, free meal ticket, free way to America and it cost only a nice smile and love, easy game for many of them.

After my experience, I would say, more face time but here, in US, not marrying so fast. Maybe the new law, not 90 days but 1 year here for a foreigner to see our country, to see both of us in the same house and decide to marry. 1 year living together can give you the idea if it works. 1 year with a work permit but no green card, AOS after 1 year together here.

I agree that would be nice, but let the beneficiaries work.  Even qualified petitioners have bills.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Austria
Timeline

It‘s about common sense in my opinion.

and that goes both ways!!

marriage fraud can happen both ways too. While I know thtat it‘s not as common from USC to foreigner, it still happens.

1 year for K1 is I think not a very smart idea because...who can afford that? financially and emotionally.

there is no guarantee in life,whether you marry after 268272 years of being in a relationship or if you decide to elope after one date.

I‘m sorry that some people havw to make the experience of marriage fraud, but not 100% avoidable. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

1. If you US Citizen, feel the person you married is very different coming to your house, emotionally and verbally abusive and very distant, if you feel something is wrong and instead of honey moon time it's all worse and worse, listen your guts. Watch, think, analyze and do NOT get married, or if you already did, do NOT send the AOS, or if you already did, get the InfoPass and cancel your Affidavit of Support.

After that divorce him/her, keep yourself at a safe distance once you start to divorce or annul your marriage, live apart or bring a roommate to be your every day witness, do not play the immigrant games about abuse, keep calm

Once the foreign beneficiary has their green card there is no way that you can cancel the I-864 Affidavit of Support. If you have gotten that far, your are hooked till the foreign beneficiary gets citizenship or 4 working quarters, which I believe is Ten years. If they you have only applied I believe it is a possibility. This is why you need to be sure about who you are going to be with. 

N400 - Naturalization                                                                                                        U.S. Passport

Aug 05, 2018 (Day 1): Applied for Naturalization online                                                  Oct 01, 2019 (Day 1): Sent US Passport Application

Aug 06, 2018 (Day 2): Check Cashed, NOA1 received online                                         Oct 08, 2019 (Day 8 ) : Passport trackable 

Aug 11, 2018 (Day 6): Recvd notification that Biometrics appointment scheduled       Oct 17, 2019 (Day 17) : Received Passport

Aug 13, 2018 (Day 8): Received biometrics appt letter online                                        Oct 21, 2019 (Day 21) : Received Naturalization Cert. back

Aug 28, 2018 (Day 23): Biometrics Appt

May 06, 2019 (Day 274): In Line For Interview

Jun 11, 2019 (Day 311): Interview Date

July 01, 2019 (Day 327) : Oath Ceremony I AM NOW A US CITIZEN!!!!

FROM K-1 PETITION SENT TO OATH CEREMONY WAS ABOUT 7 YEARS 4 MONTHS

After 8 years of marriage divorced October 4, 2021

TO SEE MY FULL TIMELINE GO HERE: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/user/125109-cdnon-usavt/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.