Derwood

Traveling on Extension Letter?

1,145 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, nerdcouple said:

GE procedures are so random... I usually fly into IAH and sometimes I need to talk to someone, other times I just print the GE receipt and hand it to someone and I am good to go. Arrived at JFK yesterday and printed GE receipt was enough. My GC expires in May 2023 but GE doesn't expire before Dec 2026. I just double checked and was surprised that GE is not dependent on GC. Hope they won't change that lol

Agree here about randomness. I fly into SFO. In September 2022 they had facial recognition kiosks, I didn't need to scan GC. Got GE receipt after scanning face. Entered easily without speaking to anybody.

But few weeks ago had to scan GC and speak to a CBP. Kiosk kept giving errors about expired GC.  Go figure!

Edited by OldUser

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, 

I have an upcoming cruise via Royal Caribbean to Bermuda and I have my expired GC and extension letter that is valid until March 2027. Did anyone have any issues during the check in process mainly through a cruise line with an extension letter or should I call Royal and notify them of my status beforehand? 

On 3/13/2023 at 12:45 PM, IndigoFlowers said:

Two more travel experiences

Flew Virgin Airlines from Orlando to London Heathrow and then back to Orlando from London at the end of January. No problems whatsoever. Never even asked to see the extension letter upon return to the USA.

Flew from Orlando to Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic and then back to Orlando at the beginning of March. Again, no problems. This time I was asked for my extension letter upon arrival back to Orlando, but they took one look at it and we were good to go. 

In all, have been back and forth to Canada about 5 times, gone on a cruise to the Bahamas, a trip to London, and a trip to the Domician Republic on my extension letter and it has gone very smoothly each time. The biggest holdup was the cruise to the Bahamas because the Royal Caribbean employee needed a manager to sign off on it on their computer. 

@patelmenow

I-130                                                                                   

23 Aug 2020: Filed I-130 online                                         
21 Oct 2020: I-130 approval                              

25 May 2021: Interview

5 June 2021: Entered the US

I-751

31 Mar 2023: Filed at Elgin lockbox

N-400             

9 Mar 2024: Filed online

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

Has anyone recently flown from China with an expired green card + extension letter? I’ve heard anecdotes about China exit immigration requiring proof of entry permit/visa of another country in order to clear. Will they accept/recognize an expired green card + extension letter?

On 3/28/2023 at 11:43 AM, patelmenow said:

Hi all, 

I have an upcoming cruise via Royal Caribbean to Bermuda and I have my expired GC and extension letter that is valid until March 2027. Did anyone have any issues during the check in process mainly through a cruise line with an extension letter or should I call Royal and notify them of my status beforehand? 

I went on a cruise in March, 2023, Celebrity from Puerto Rico to different Carribean islands - no problem whatsoever. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

we traveled to Colombia 03/09/-03/13, no problem whatsoever.... everything went smooth.

I-129 F SENT 11/27/2018

NOA 1 12/03/2018

RFE      04/10/2019

RFE REPLY 04/25/2019

NOA 2 05/09/2019

NVC RECEIVED 06/05/2019

CASE # ASSIGNED NVC  06/10/2019

NVC LEFT 06/25/2019

EMBASSY RECEIVED 07/02/2019

K1 INTERVIEW APPROVAL  07/18/2019

USA ENTRY🛬 07/30/2019

MARRIED 🤵💖👰09/13/2019

AOS SENT 10/08/2019

AOS RECEIVED 10/09/2019

AOS NOA 1 10/25/2019

BIOMETRICS 11/20/2019

READY TO INTERVIEW: 12/23/2020

Interview scheduled update 02/20/2020
Interview Scheduled for 04/08/2020
03/31/2020 interview has been cancelled due to COVID19
04/01/20202 case ready to be scheduled for an interview
08/24/2020 Interview has been scheduled
Interview 9/14/2020
I 485 approved 9/14/2020
GC mailed 9/17/2020
GC received 9/21/2020

ROC mailed 09/01/2022

ROC received 09/02/2022

NOA RECEIVED 09/16/2022

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2023 at 7:06 AM, Anthony446 said:

anyone flew to Mexico recently with expired GC and extension letter? Thinking about a trip down south but wanted to see if anyone had any issues entering/boarding.

TIA

I had issues when entering Mexico, my friend was even denied boarding. It's all also depending on which country passport you have, do you need visa to go to Mexico or not?

Domestic flights out of STL and ATL didn't even look at the extension letter at either airport.

event.png

Current processes:

I-751 regular ROC (SRC)                                       N-400 3 year marriage based (IOE)

Jan 17 2023 - Received                                       Jan 22, 2024 - Submitted online 

Jan 23, 2023 - NOA + 36 months extension     Jan 22, 2024 - Biometrics waived

Apr 12, 2023 - 48 months extension letter        Mar 6, 2024 - Interview scheduled for Apr 11 COMBO I-751/N-400!!!!

Completed:

I-90 for lost GC (IOE)

Sep 6, 2022 - Received

Sep 14, 2022 - Case is Being Reviewed

Feb 6, 2023 - Card is being produced !!!!!!!!!!

Feb 13, 2023 - Out for delivery/Return to sender 😠

Mar 6, 2023 - Re-mail request

Mar 9, 2023 - GC delivered!!!!!!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline

Very poor experience arriving back at SFO with global entry (which both of us have). My spouse tried to take his picture and scan his expired green card at the global entry kiosk and it just flashed “see officer”.

Went to the officer who was extremely rude and impatient. He seemed to think my spouse was lying about having global entry at all, as he said “it wasn’t showing up in the system.” I explained that we used it just four months earlier before the green card expired with no issues, to which he continued to act frustrated and implied we were lying about having my spouse having it. He seemed to think I was the only who had it and I was trying to bring my spouse along. 

It was just then that I remember we brought the global entry cards (the ones that they say you “don’t need” to carry with you), which my spouse showed the officer. That seemed to finally get him to believe us. I’m so glad we brought those just in case, turned about to be very useful.  

After that he said “you need to have global entry update your information as it does not show in the system” but he let us through.

I don’t understand what he means - I didn’t think global entry updates anything based on extension letters. Did they really “unregister” his expired green card from his global entry profile to the point that *nothing* shows up when they scan it?

It was an awful welcome back to the US after a two week trip abroad in my spouse’s home country. I don’t understand why they have to be so nasty about everything. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
16 minutes ago, M&Y_2019 said:

Unable to find delete option - editing this post

In order for a post the be deleted, use the report flag in the top rh corner of the post and request a deletion. Moderator will then delete your post as requested 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

Hey, I have a pending i751 and I'm planning to travel to South Korea. Did anyone travel there with an expired GC and extension letter before ? How was your experience?

AOS from K1

January 31, 2020:  Sent AOS application packet.

February 4, 2020: NOA date.

February 10, 2020: NOAs received.

February 19, 2020: Biometrics notice received.

February 25, 2020: Biometrics Appt.

August 18, 2020: EAD Approval notice.

August 27, 2020: EAD card received.

August 28, 2020: " Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview " 

September 21, 2020: SNN card received.

January 14, 2021: " Interview was scheduled "

January 22, 2021 : Interview letter received.

February 24, 2021 : Interview day.

February 24, 2021 : " New card is being produced "

February 25, 2021 : " Case was approved "

March 2, 2021 : Approval Letter received in the mail

March 3, 2021 : " Card was picked up by the USPS "

March 3, 2021 : " Notice was returned to the USCIS because the Post Office could not deliver it "

March 4, 2021 : Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2021 : " Card was delivered to me by the Post Office "

March 7, 2021 : " Duplicate Notice was mailed "

• 2 weeks later...

For countries that allow people to enter who are US permanent residents (e.g. Canada), does anyone have experience entering with such a expired green card + extension letter? Does it pass?

Removal of Conditions (I-751)
2/17/24: I-751 packet shipped via FedEx

2/20/24: I-751 packet delivered

2/22/24: Receipt Number available on USCIS Portal

2/27/24: Extension Letter Available Online, Biometric Re-use letter, "Case is being actively reviewed"

1 hour ago, stag said:

For countries that allow people to enter who are US permanent residents (e.g. Canada), does anyone have experience entering with such a expired green card + extension letter? Does it pass?

Travelled to Canada on GC and extension letter in December 2022. No problem at all.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.