Derwood

Traveling on Extension Letter?

1,145 posts in this topic

On 5/14/2023 at 2:05 PM, stag said:

For countries that allow people to enter who are US permanent residents (e.g. Canada), does anyone have experience entering with such an expired green card + extension letter? Does it pass?

Yup.   We entered Canada at a land crossing enroute to take husband to airport for flight home to NZ, and came back the same way.   No problems at all.   He said the most questioning he got was in boarding the return flight, as Air New Zealand staff were not that familiar with extension letters.   

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Serbia
Timeline

I am in a bit of an interesting situation. Adjusted status from K1. When I received my conditional green card, it arrived with an error. I immediately submitted i90, which is still pending. That was almost two years ago. I’m now about to submit i751. My question is as follows: can I travel abroad after receiving the notice that my green card is extended (797c that follows submission of the i751), or do I have to ask for the i551 stamp?

@SP&DT stamp is the safest option. Depending on mistake and how observant airline staff is, you may or may not get allowed to board with error on GC. Considering, there's multiple times you'd be checked on the way to US, I wouldnt take the risk of getting denied boarding. 

E.g if mistake is one letter in the kiddle name you may be OK, but if it's date of birth, or your name is John on GC and Daniel in passport, that's another story.

Edited by OldUser

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Serbia
Timeline
17 minutes ago, powerpuff said:

Stamp 

1 minute ago, OldUser said:

@SP&DT stamp is the safest option. Depending on mistake and how observant airline staff is, you may or may not get allowed to board with error on GC. Considering, there's multiple times you'd be checked on the way to US, I wouldnt take the risk of getting denied boarding. 

Thanks y’all. Definitely helps!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

so i have an extension letter for 48 months for my expired Green card while i am still waiting for my interview for ROC

i was also provided a stamp valid for a year now to be able to travel

only dilema is i lost my expired GC , my wallet was stolen the day i was going to see my lawyer...yeah go figure  lol

is that going to be an issue at all?

I hear no but just asking still

33 minutes ago, Joe som said:

so i have an extension letter for 48 months for my expired Green card while i am still waiting for my interview for ROC

i was also provided a stamp valid for a year now to be able to travel

only dilema is i lost my expired GC , my wallet was stolen the day i was going to see my lawyer...yeah go figure  lol

is that going to be an issue at all?

I hear no but just asking still

You can only travel with valid ADIT (I-551 stamp) in your valid passport.

The extension letter is worthless without expired GC. Stamp should be OK but some airlines may not be familiar with it and you'd have to convince supervisors to allow you to board a plane to the US.

Edited by OldUser

3 hours ago, Joe som said:

so yes i have the valid i551 but not the expired Gc  per say just the extension letter and the valid I551

As I stated above, the extension letter is useless without expired GC. It does not extend your I-551 stamp in passport. All you need is valid stamp in valid passport.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

Just to add my experience in my recent international travel with an expired green card+ extension letter in case this helps anyone.

I flew from Dallas, TX to Algeria and back transiting through CDG (Paris, France). 

Air France staff in Algeria was not familiar with the extension letter, it took them some time to read it and confirm with 2 different people to finally get it. I went through security and border police who also were not familiar with it. The police officer took them and went to confirm with a someone else, they took pictures of the GC and extension letter then let me go through.

In CDG (France), air France staff checked it again but were much quicker and familiar with it, no questions asked. Arriving at DFW, it went smooth as well, the officer took a look at my GR and extension letter and that was it ! 

AOS from K1

January 31, 2020:  Sent AOS application packet.

February 4, 2020: NOA date.

February 10, 2020: NOAs received.

February 19, 2020: Biometrics notice received.

February 25, 2020: Biometrics Appt.

August 18, 2020: EAD Approval notice.

August 27, 2020: EAD card received.

August 28, 2020: " Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview " 

September 21, 2020: SNN card received.

January 14, 2021: " Interview was scheduled "

January 22, 2021 : Interview letter received.

February 24, 2021 : Interview day.

February 24, 2021 : " New card is being produced "

February 25, 2021 : " Case was approved "

March 2, 2021 : Approval Letter received in the mail

March 3, 2021 : " Card was picked up by the USPS "

March 3, 2021 : " Notice was returned to the USCIS because the Post Office could not deliver it "

March 4, 2021 : Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2021 : " Card was delivered to me by the Post Office "

March 7, 2021 : " Duplicate Notice was mailed "

We are traveling to the Bahamas on a Disney Cruise in November and my husband’s conditional card expires on August 5th. We already have his 48 month extension letter, but the wording on the Disney Cruise website makes me nervous they won’t accept it. Anyone have experience traveling on a Disney Cruise with their extension letter? 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline

My Cambodian wife used her extension letter to fly back from Cambodia a few weeks ago, no problem.

Now we want to visit Cancun in September but I am hearing that United Airlines won't let her board a flight to Mexico with the extension letter and expired green card.  This may be a recent change in policy by United but I've seen several reports of this in the last 12 months.

Compounding the issue is that the consulate in Houston where we live doesn't seem to have any appointments available. Any advice on how she can apply for a Mexican tourist visa if she needs one?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.