Derwood

Traveling on Extension Letter?

1,145 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
On 11/26/2023 at 5:02 PM, jackiegringa said:

Traveled to Brazil, both MAO and GRU airports were more than familiar with extension letters, no trouble coming back in through ATL.

Hello…heading to Brasilia early next year and would like to know which airline did you use?   I called Copa and Latam and they can’t give me a clear answer.   Thanks in advance…. 

1 hour ago, RG268 said:

Hello…heading to Brasilia early next year and would like to know which airline did you use?   I called Copa and Latam and they can’t give me a clear answer.   Thanks in advance…. 

Delta connecting with LATAM, people at the gate everywhere where totally fine with the letter including BSB (one of my connection points). I wouldn't worry about it, just be prepared to push back in case someone gives you a hard time.

I also had a copy of the cbp traveler guide printed on the page that says what's needed to enter the us as a permanent resident. Never needed to say anything or argue with anyone, which was nice!

event.png

Current processes:

I-751 regular ROC (SRC)                                       N-400 3 year marriage based (IOE)

Jan 17 2023 - Received                                       Jan 22, 2024 - Submitted online 

Jan 23, 2023 - NOA + 36 months extension     Jan 22, 2024 - Biometrics waived

Apr 12, 2023 - 48 months extension letter        Mar 6, 2024 - Interview scheduled for Apr 11 COMBO I-751/N-400!!!!

Completed:

I-90 for lost GC (IOE)

Sep 6, 2022 - Received

Sep 14, 2022 - Case is Being Reviewed

Feb 6, 2023 - Card is being produced !!!!!!!!!!

Feb 13, 2023 - Out for delivery/Return to sender 😠

Mar 6, 2023 - Re-mail request

Mar 9, 2023 - GC delivered!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Domestic flight minor issue - I've been showing my gc to board flights inside the US and up until now no agent has ever asked for an extension letter.

At Boston, the agent was unhappy with the expired green card but wouldn't look at the extension letter, said that I shouldn't show this card because it's expired (ignoring that I was trying to show the extension letter) and said they had to call the supervisor and it would take a while to sort it out.

I had my passport with me and wanted to speed this up so I offered it instead and it was accepted. However, I do not carry a passport for domestic flights usually. And hearing "do not show this card" could spook other immigrants for no reason. All in all not a huge issue but consider having more time to deal with that or not showing a GC at all.

My state ID was just renewed and delivered after I left but that's another option for domestic flights.

Edited by jackiegringa

event.png

Current processes:

I-751 regular ROC (SRC)                                       N-400 3 year marriage based (IOE)

Jan 17 2023 - Received                                       Jan 22, 2024 - Submitted online 

Jan 23, 2023 - NOA + 36 months extension     Jan 22, 2024 - Biometrics waived

Apr 12, 2023 - 48 months extension letter        Mar 6, 2024 - Interview scheduled for Apr 11 COMBO I-751/N-400!!!!

Completed:

I-90 for lost GC (IOE)

Sep 6, 2022 - Received

Sep 14, 2022 - Case is Being Reviewed

Feb 6, 2023 - Card is being produced !!!!!!!!!!

Feb 13, 2023 - Out for delivery/Return to sender 😠

Mar 6, 2023 - Re-mail request

Mar 9, 2023 - GC delivered!!!!!!

1 hour ago, jackiegringa said:

Domestic flight minor issue - I've been showing my gc to board flights inside the US and up until now no agent has ever asked for an extension letter.

At Boston, the agent was unhappy with the expired green card but wouldn't look at the extension letter, said that I shouldn't show this card because it's expired (ignoring that I was trying to show the extension letter) and said they had to call the supervisor and it would take a while to sort it out.

I had my passport with me and wanted to speed this up so I offered it instead and it was accepted. However, I do not carry a passport for domestic flights usually. And hearing "do not show this card" could spook other immigrants for no reason. All in all not a huge issue but consider having more time to deal with that or not showing a GC at all.

My state ID was just renewed and delivered after I left but that's another option for domestic flights.

State ID / DL only. Never show GC / passport on internal flights, these docs are inferior. 

Edited by OldUser

On 12/22/2023 at 11:59 PM, Shercook27 said:

Hi all, has anyone had any experience traveling to Pakistan - especially Lahore - with an expired green card and extension letter? I’m quite nervous about the airline check in counter/folks at the airport not knowing about the extension letter. 

Hi Did you managed to travel? i will be travelling to ISLmabad with same

We had no issues during a recent trip to Ecuador other than not being able to check in online ahead of time.

The GC/extension letter was only needed for the return flight to the US (for the outbound flight they only need to see the passport), and the agent at the airline counter (AA) was familiar with the documents.

Although the CBP agent in Miami had a slight attitude, after reviewing the passport + GC + extension letter, eventually just said "welcome back".

Edited to add: we did bring a copy of the relevant pages of the CBP Carrier Information Guide along just in case it was needed for clarification at any point, but didn't end up using it.

Edited by JKLSemicolon

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Hi there! Does anyone have recent experiences entering Costa Rica or Peru with Delta or LATAM with expired green card and extension notice? Both countries require visa for Indian citizens unless they're US residents. My Indian husband's conditional GC is expiring soon but we did submit the I751 and have the notice. Now just wondering what to expect trying to travel abroad in this case. It seems like it depends on the country and airline so just looking for the countries and airlines I mentioned above. Thanks!

On 1/25/2024 at 11:48 AM, MaceMk said:

Hi there! Does anyone have recent experiences entering Costa Rica or Peru with Delta or LATAM with expired green card and extension notice? Both countries require visa for Indian citizens unless they're US residents. My Indian husband's conditional GC is expiring soon but we did submit the I751 and have the notice. Now just wondering what to expect trying to travel abroad in this case. It seems like it depends on the country and airline so just looking for the countries and airlines I mentioned above. Thanks!

I read one firsthand account of someone being denied entry to Costa Rica with a valid extension letter.  I think Costa Rica may be an issue.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline
1 minute ago, top_secret said:

I read one firsthand account of someone being denied entry to Costa Rica with a valid extension letter.  I think Costa Rica may be an issue.

Thanks. I also saw someone saying that about Costa Rica afterwards but still not sure about Peru. I think that's the country we'll be most interested in visiting. 

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone travel to the Philippines and back successfully with an extension letter? Which airlines to use/avoid? From reading this thread and others I may be stuck using Philippines air direct from Manila to LAX on the way back. I am not sure about the way there. I'm curious which airlines to avoid coming back to the US, and if leaving the US if any airline is OK? 

• 1 month later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.