Derwood

Traveling on Extension Letter?

1,145 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline

2 hours ago, OldUser said:

Here is an article. Instructions make sense to me:

https://www.visatraveler.com/visa-guides/mexico-visa-requirements/

The instructions make sense but they now use a different website to make appointments and they have no appointments available at all the consulate in Houston or in any nearby cities.

On 6/25/2023 at 8:23 AM, hlynnf23 said:

We are traveling to the Bahamas on a Disney Cruise in November and my husband’s conditional card expires on August 5th. We already have his 48 month extension letter, but the wording on the Disney Cruise website makes me nervous they won’t accept it. Anyone have experience traveling on a Disney Cruise with their extension letter? 

What's the wording? If still in doubt contact Disney cruise line 

• 3 weeks later...

I have taken two trips since my Greencard expired at the end of May, and I am happy to report that there were no issues at departing airport or immigration in US (SIN-LAX on SQ and FRA-IAH on LH). It annoys me that the online check in doesn't work anymore since they ask for expiration date, but moving forward I might just use the expiration date plus 48 months to circumvent the issue ;)

ROC Timeline:

2023-02-20: Mailed package to Phoenix Lockbox with UPS Ground

2023-02-27: Package was delivered

2023-03-02: Received text that case was received with SRC case #

2023-03-03: Money order was cashed

2023-03-09: Received 48 months extension letter in mail

2023-05-20: Greencard expired

2024-01-03: Still waiting for update on biometrics

5 hours ago, nerdcouple said:

It annoys me that the online check in doesn't work anymore since they ask for expiration date, but moving forward I might just use the expiration date plus 48 months to circumvent the issue ;)

Not a great move. The problem with this approach - whether you check in online or not, on your inbound flight to USA, your physical GC will be checked by airline, security, CBP at multiple stages. Don't let this discrepancy lead to issues.

I find that being LPR or dual citizen, online check in may not work / worthless on international flights. Domestic US flights - sure.

Edited by OldUser

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
On 7/25/2023 at 7:32 PM, nerdcouple said:

I have taken two trips since my Greencard expired at the end of May, and I am happy to report that there were no issues at departing airport or immigration in US (SIN-LAX on SQ and FRA-IAH on LH). It annoys me that the online check in doesn't work anymore since they ask for expiration date, but moving forward I might just use the expiration date plus 48 months to circumvent the issue ;)

I did the same thing couple weeks ago - Germany and Back - no issues - nationwide no issues at all (updated my PA driver license to the REAL ID one) just not to risk any trouble I made myself a folder in which I keep the (now expired) Greencard plus the 48 month Extension Letter. And take it with me on all flights and trips.

I-751 Timeline

04/03/2023 - Filed (UPS Elgin, IL Lockbox)

04/04/2023 - Received by USCIS 💌

04/07/2023 - Text Message with Case # 📲

04/11/2023 - Online Status changed to being Actively Reviewed 👀

04/14/2023 - Two USCIS Letters - Biometrics will be re-used / Log-in Info (Potomac Service Center 😰)

04/17/2023 - NOA FORM I-797 - 48 Month extension 🕗

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/14/2023 at 11:53 AM, Tani28 said:

I heard Costa Rica does not accept extension letters and I’m traveling there first week of October. I hold a Bangladeshi passport which normally requires a visa. Has anyone traveled to Costa Rica and did they give issues about the letter?

I have read accounts of people actually being denied entry to Costa Rica and returned to the US, or not being boarded for their flight there over an extension letter.   The Costa Rican Embassy is also quite specific that they do not accept extension letters and that persons from countries that normally require a visa still need to get one if their physical green card is expired and they have an extension letter.

http://www.costarica-embassy.org/index.php?q=node/24

Note 2: Permanent residents must show their residence card, which must be valid for at least 3 months. Letters of extension are not accepted. The residence card (Green Card) must meet the new security features according to the specifications by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). The green card should have an expiration date according to the security features. Note 3: Residence stamped on passports, letters of extension (residence card) are not accepted, parole work cards are not accepted as exceptions, therefore, these people are require to apply for a visa at the Consulate of your jurisdiction.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I see that the expired GC can be an issue with online check-in. Mine is about to expired, but I already travelled multiple times and used my passport as a travel document. When coming back to the US, I show both my passport and GC, which works great.

My question is: are we required to use the GC card as the travel document? Seems like using my passport after my GC expires would be way less trouble (would still present both expired GC and extension letter to border agents).

Thanks 

Edited by T&S_MTL

1 hour ago, T&S_MTL said:

My question is: are we required to use the GC card as the travel document?

For domestic US travel, no. However you are still supp to have your GC with you at all times, so don't leave it at home in case is requested. For international travel you can still use your passport to leave the country but there's a chance you will be asked to provide your GC. For returning to the US having the green card will always be required, maybe not on the online check in but at the airport for sure.

Edited by jackiegringa

event.png

Current processes:

I-751 regular ROC (SRC)                                       N-400 3 year marriage based (IOE)

Jan 17 2023 - Received                                       Jan 22, 2024 - Submitted online 

Jan 23, 2023 - NOA + 36 months extension     Jan 22, 2024 - Biometrics waived

Apr 12, 2023 - 48 months extension letter        Mar 6, 2024 - Interview scheduled for Apr 11 COMBO I-751/N-400!!!!

Completed:

I-90 for lost GC (IOE)

Sep 6, 2022 - Received

Sep 14, 2022 - Case is Being Reviewed

Feb 6, 2023 - Card is being produced !!!!!!!!!!

Feb 13, 2023 - Out for delivery/Return to sender 😠

Mar 6, 2023 - Re-mail request

Mar 9, 2023 - GC delivered!!!!!!

1 hour ago, T&S_MTL said:

I see that the expired GC can be an issue with online check-in. Mine is about to expired, but I already travelled multiple times and used my passport as a travel document. When coming back to the US, I show both my passport and GC, which works great.

My question is: are we required to use the GC card as the travel document? Seems like using my passport after my GC expires would be way less trouble (would still present both expired GC and extension letter to border agents).

Thanks 

For domestic travel - you can travel with Real ID (driver's license / state ID just fine). No need for passport, no need for GC.

How do complete online check in with passport only for international travel to the US? Every time I traveled with big airlines such as United, it asked for passport details and then for visa or GC details. It couldn't complete check me in online and I had to show documents at the airport.

As far as I know passport is a must for international air travel and has to be provided no matter what. GC is what CBP want to see when you enter the US. You need valid passport, GC and extension letter to re-enter the US by air.

Edited by OldUser

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, jackiegringa said:

For domestic US travel, no. However you are still supp to have your GC with you at all times, so don't leave it at home in case is requested. For international travel you can still use your passport to leave the country but there's a chance you will be asked to provide your GC. For returning to the US having the green card will always be required, maybe not on the online check in but at the airport for sure.

That's right I present my GC to the agent when coming back to the US (along with the passport, and the extension letter when my GC is expired). I never had to enter any info for check-in though (my wife does it for us and I believe she only uses the passport info), is that an issue? Never had to enter GC info for check-in, I'm wondering if this is based on the country (Canadian passport)

Edited by T&S_MTL

5 minutes ago, T&S_MTL said:

That's right I present my GC to the agent when coming back to the US (along with the passport, and the extension letter when my GC is expired). I never had to enter any info for check-in though (my wife does it for us and I believe she only uses the passport info), is that an issue?

As long as you're presenting GC and extension letter to airline and CBP, you're good.

I just don't think online check in for international flight is the same as online check in for domestic flight. The whole point for me of checking in online when travelling domestically is to never see an agent. For international flight you gotta see an agent regardless. In addition, you're never fully checked in, as it asks to "complete check in" at the airport. Hense I was curious about your experience.

Cross-posting my question here since it's kind of an edge case:

My wife has an expired green card with a I-797 (NOA) giving a 2-year extension of green card validity for work and travel (issued by USCIS due to I-751 processing delays).

There are quite a few countries that will allow visa-exempt travel if you hold lawful permanent residence in the US or if you hold a valid US visa (Mexico, for example). However, in many cases the countries will not accept the paper I-797 as "proof of valid permanent residence," (since the physical residence permit [green card] shows an expired date) so she has to go through the standard visa application processes.

My question: She also has a US visitor visa (B1/B2) in her passport from when we were dating that is not expired. Is this visitor visa still considered "valid" for use/entry into other (non-US) countries? The State Department website on visitor visas says "Unless canceled or revoked, a visa is valid until its expiration date."

A few examples of countries that allow visa-free travel if you have a valid US visitor visa are shown here.

If it's relevant, she got a K-1 visa, moved to the US, filed for AOS, got a conditional GC, then filed for Removal of Conditions. I don't think that the Visitor Visa is formally canceled or revoked as part of any of these processes.

I know she can't travel into the US on the visitor visa (she'd use her green card + I-797), but I think the US visitor visa is still valid from the perspective of other countries? Hoping someone else has had some experience with this...

On 9/14/2023 at 11:04 AM, OldUser said:

For domestic travel - you can travel with Real ID (driver's license / state ID just fine). No need for passport, no need for GC.

What about those of us that don't have a driver's license or state ID yet? Has anyone had issues flying domestically in the US using their foreign passport, GC + extension letter? Travelling over the weekend my GC expires and I'm not sure exactly how things will go down.... 

31 minutes ago, DaisyJ said:

What about those of us that don't have a driver's license or state ID yet? Has anyone had issues flying domestically in the US using their foreign passport, GC + extension letter? Travelling over the weekend my GC expires and I'm not sure exactly how things will go down.... 

You can be at slight disadvantage using foreign passport or GC. The thing is, usually nobody cares about immigration status etc when using DL / state ID. But as soon as you show passport, they start flilpping pages and occasionally ask about US visa etc.

In your particular case, I'd be showing GC and GC + extension letter when GC expires. No need to show passport really domestically. But you can carry it just in case.

Edited by OldUser

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.