Derwood

Traveling on Extension Letter?

1,145 posts in this topic

Just got back from New Delhi (expired GC + letter) on United direct flight. United folks were familiar with extension letter. Indian customs officer commented that card had expired and he scanned the extension letter into their system. All went well. I was anxious about the trip. Wanted to share my experience to put other travelers at ease. 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Chiming in on my wife's experience flying back from Vienna, Austria on Lufthansa/United. 

• Lufthansa check-in counter in Vienna: The guy at the check-in counter noticed my wife's green card had expired, so we showed the extension letter. I don't think he was super familiar with it, but looked over it once and seemed to accept it. 
  • US immigration check at connecting flight in Frankfurt: Our flight to the US was via a connection in Frankfurt, Germany. There was an immigration check prior to arriving at our gate; the woman noticed the expired green card and asked specifically for the extension letter. Later, as we were about to board our flight, they called my wife to the counter and asked to see the extension letter again. Both people looked at it and appeared to be satisfied.
  • US immigration at SFO: In San Francisco, the immigration officer never even looked at the extension letter. In fact, he barely spoke to us. He just checked both our passports, scanned my wife's green card, and then asked for a finger print and photograph of my wife.

All in all, most people seemed to recognize the extension letter. The US immigration officer didn't even look at the letter and gave us no problems whatsoever.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

Just a little update. 

I went to the Cleveland field office 10 days ago. Was in and out in 10 minutes. The officer already knew what I was there for, pretty much. I had an appointment set up by calling their call center. 

I got a temporary stamp to act as my green card valid for one year. So I will be traveling with that and my extension letter. I won’t be coming back into the US until March 10 so I’ll let you guys know how it goes then. 

05/24/2017 Entered the US on a J1 visa

10/10/2017 We got married!

10/27/2017 AOS Package sent via USPS - Chicago Lockbox

10/30/2017 Package delivered 

10/31/2017 Priority Date

11/07/2017 Received email and text notifications about all 4 forms

11/14/2017 Received hard copies of all 4 NOAs

11/21/2017 Received biometrics appointment notice scheduled for 11/29

12/15/2017 Interview notice - interview is scheduled for January 19th! Holy #$%^ that's less than 3 months from PD!

01/02/2018 EAD + AP approved

01/16/2018 Combo card delivered

01/19/2018 Interview - recommended for approval

01/22/2018 New card is being produced :dance:

UBtw.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
1 hour ago, EvieMN said:

Just a little update. 

I went to the Cleveland field office 10 days ago. Was in and out in 10 minutes. The officer already knew what I was there for, pretty much. I had an appointment set up by calling their call center. 

I got a temporary stamp to act as my green card valid for one year. So I will be traveling with that and my extension letter. I won’t be coming back into the US until March 10 so I’ll let you guys know how it goes then. 

No an Extension Letter needed with I-551 stamp. 

Good luck and have a safe trip!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Chile
Timeline

Sharing my recent experience traveling from Chile to LAX, via Mexico City with Aeromexico (GC + Extension Letter)

Aeromexico check-in in Santiago: I was not able to check in online, so I did it at the airport. I had no issues, they recognized my papers.

US Immigration check at Connecting Flight In Mexico City: the flight was operated by Delta. They called my name on the speaker and asked to check my documents  at the gate. No problems at all.

US Immigration at LAX: Officer asked for passport, green card and letter, took my picture and that's it. No questions asked.

J-1 212 Residency Requirement Waiver                                                                    Removal of Conditions

08/22/2016 Advisory opinion request                                                                      07/01/2019 Package sent (I-751)

09/30/2016 Finding letter sent *subject*                                                                 07/03/2019 Package received at Pheonix, AZ Lockbox

09/30/2016 Documents received by DOS                                                                07/10/2019 Text notification of Case received, WAC#

12/13/2016 NOS Letter received                                                                               07/12/2019 Received NOA, 18 month extension letter.

01/25/2017 Favorable Recommendation Sent                                                        01/27/2020 Biometrics taken, Pomona CA

02/02/2017 Case received by USCIS                                                                         08/14/2020 Case transferred to NBC

02/2017 Married!                                                                                                            04/02/2021 Interview scheduled

05/17/2017 Approval notice received                                                                       05/10/2021 Interview at San Bernardino office

05/11/2021 Case approved

Adjustment Of Status from J-1                                                                                     N-400

05/08/2017 Package sent (I-130, I-485 and I-765)                                                   06/28/2020 Applied Online

05/11/2017 Package received at Chicago Lockbox                                                 07/06/2020 Received NOA

05/18/2017 NOA received with case numbers via mail                                           12/14/2020 Biometrics Reuse Notice

06/06/2017 Had biometrics appointment in Pomona, CA                                       04/02/2021 Interview scheduled

08/07/2017 Sent an online service request on I-765                                                05/10/2021 Interview at San Bernardino office/Decision cannot be made because of I-751 pending

08/17/2017 Letter in the mail saying case still under review                                  05/17/2021 Case recommended for approved, submitted for quality review

08/23/2017 Scheduled for an interview                                                                      05/17/2021 Oath Ceremony will be scheduled

08/26/2017 Sent second SR on I-765                                                                          06/25/2021 Oath Ceremony, San Bernardino Office

08/26/2017 EAD New Card is Being Produced

08/29/2017 EAD card was mailed to me

08/31/2017 EAD card received in the mail

09/25/2017  Interview at San Bernardino office/GC approved

09/25/2017 GC is being produced

09/28/2017 GC was mailed to me

09/30/2017 GC received in the mail

Made the trip up north to Vancouver, BC by road. Went through the Peace Arch crossing both ways. On the way into Canada I only presented the expired green card and all the Canadian officer was concerned about was weapons in the car.

On the way back I presented the expired card and the extension letter. The officer looked at both for an extended period of time but then waved us through. No issues whatsoever. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi! I'm hoping someone here can help me with a question I have. 

During my two year conditional cr-1 visa, I travelled a lot and spent a total of almost 365 days outside the US. 
If my visa is extended by 18 months as I wait for the conditions to be removed, do I get more travel days?

Thanks!! 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Chile
Timeline

update:

My wife left Chile with no issues on January 7.  The airline attendant didn't ask to see any papers prior to boarding.

Once she landed in Miami, she had to wait in the customs and immigration line for nearly 2 hours as apparently there were about 4 other flights that landed at the same time.  Since her green card was expired, she couldn't use one of the kiosks so she had to wait to see an actual person.  Once she was seen, she presented her expired green card and letter, and there were no issues.

She now has her 10 year green card! 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
On 1/11/2020 at 8:03 AM, hcj2017 said:

Hi! I'm hoping someone here can help me with a question I have. 

During my two year conditional cr-1 visa, I travelled a lot and spent a total of almost 365 days outside the US. 
If my visa is extended by 18 months as I wait for the conditions to be removed, do I get more travel days?

Thanks!! 

I'm not sure what you mean by if you'll get more travel days. 

Cateogory: CR1

• NOA1/Notice of receipt: Sept. 15, 2015
  • NOA2/I130 Approved: February 8, 2016 (NO RFE) :)
  • Process slowed down by us
  • Sent documents to NVC: April 11, 2016
  • Scan date: April 14/ May 7th (NVC said both I dont know why)
  • Case Complete: May 31, 2016 (No checklist) :dancing:

August 17, 2016: Visa Approved!!!! :dancing:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

We've been traveling with the 12 month Extension letter with no problems.

As long as you keep the original with you when you travel plus your Passport from country of origin.

And true, it is all stated on the extension letter you receive. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Montenegro
Timeline

Hello guys. Does anyone know if have  2 year green card what kind of travel is possible to have , 6 months in all this time,is cululative ? . Or up to 6 months  in 1 year ? Thanks , and sorry if this isnt topic here 

25 minutes ago, paracelsus said:

Hello guys. Does anyone know if have  2 year green card what kind of travel is possible to have , 6 months in all this time,is cululative ? . Or up to 6 months  in 1 year ? Thanks , and sorry if this isnt topic here 

You can be out of the country upto a year without a re-entry permit.  Typically others will advise 6 months or less at a time to avoid questions at the POE.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline

Traveled from Germany to San Francisco with United Airlines. My documents were checked twice before boarding. Once in the terminal (I checked in at a different airport), and then my name was called at the gate where they checked my documents again. At point of entry in San Francisco, I showed the agent all my documents, and she only asked me how long I'd been gone and if I had any food with me. A hassle free experience.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Posted this in another thread but I’ll do it here too.

Both the airport in Germany and JFK were familiar with the extension letter. It was very quick and hassle free, as expected 

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.