Derwood

Traveling on Extension Letter?

1,145 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
8 hours ago, Dzfiction said:

Can we travel overseas with the extension letter?

Yes it says so in the letter in bold. This entire thread also has many accounts of people doing so. 

Edited by Thegirl

Cateogory: CR1

• NOA1/Notice of receipt: Sept. 15, 2015
  • NOA2/I130 Approved: February 8, 2016 (NO RFE) :)
  • Process slowed down by us
  • Sent documents to NVC: April 11, 2016
  • Scan date: April 14/ May 7th (NVC said both I dont know why)
  • Case Complete: May 31, 2016 (No checklist) :dancing:

August 17, 2016: Visa Approved!!!! :dancing:

Timeline
1 hour ago, Dzfiction said:

Do you have to apply for it or they just provide it to you ?

The extension letter being referred to is the one that is automatically sent out to persons who have submitted an i-751 for removal of conditions on a 2 year green card. So they provide it to you once you successfully submit ROC. 

If another type of green card is expiring then an i-90 needs to be submitted for a new green card or a request for an i-551 stamp in the passport needs to be made. 

3 hours ago, Thegirl said:

The extension letter being referred to is the one that is automatically sent out to persons who have submitted an i-751 for removal of conditions on a 2 year green card. So they provide it to you once you successfully submit ROC. 

If another type of green card is expiring then an i-90 needs to be submitted for a new green card or a request for an i-551 stamp in the passport needs to be made. 

Thank you for the clarification I appreciate it.

Timeline
4 hours ago, Dzfiction said:

Thank you for the clarification I appreciate it.

You're welcome. 

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

We filed for 751 and then N400 a year later and had a combo interview. So over the past several years we used an expired green card with a 12 month extension letter at first. Then we got an additional 18 months extension letter. Then we had to drive 10 hours to a USCIS center to get a stamp in the passport to travel.

Now just weeks away from an oath, we receive a 10 year green card in the mail 🤯

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

I don't know if someone can help with this question. So i am hoping to visit my boyfriend in Canada by next month, my Canadian visa has expired. Do i need to reapply for a visa or can i travel with my expired green card and extension letter without a visa? I am hoping someone with the right information can help.

Timeline
1 hour ago, PraiseGod said:

Hey Guys,

I don't know if someone can help with this question. So i am hoping to visit my boyfriend in Canada by next month, my Canadian visa has expired. Do i need to reapply for a visa or can i travel with my expired green card and extension letter without a visa? I am hoping someone with the right information can help.

Your expired card and letter serves as a regular green card. You can travel with them and your passport to Canada you also need an eTa if you plan to fly there. The website:

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=593&top=16

Edited by Thegirl

Thanks @Thegirl for your response. Since my GC is passport is expired what date do i put in the eTA application? The extension letter says 18months from the date of expired PR card. Can i use that?

• 1 month later...

Been a silent reader on these forums. Thought its a good time to join and share my experience.

I recently travelled on my un-expired GC to Canada. Upon return by land, cbp asked to park and come in for a secondary. Turned out that in their system I was still in my previous status, a student. Read on these forums that another person encountered the exact same situation. In and out in less than 2 minutes. The officer didn't give any guarantee that this wont happen again.

This tells me that not all of their systems in terms of status (b/w uscis, cbp etc) are on the same page.

Heading out for another travel soon, this time with expired GC and a valid 18 month extension letter. Hoping things go smoothly this time around. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/8/2020 at 12:28 PM, Mobius1 said:

Been a silent reader on these forums. Thought its a good time to join and share my experience.

I recently travelled on my un-expired GC to Canada. Upon return by land, cbp asked to park and come in for a secondary. Turned out that in their system I was still in my previous status, a student. Read on these forums that another person encountered the exact same situation. In and out in less than 2 minutes. The officer didn't give any guarantee that this wont happen again.

This tells me that not all of their systems in terms of status (b/w uscis, cbp etc) are on the same page.

Heading out for another travel soon, this time with expired GC and a valid 18 month extension letter. Hoping things go smoothly this time around. 

Wanted to update my second travel, this time by air.

So, interestingly the kiosks were not working. Everyone had to go thru individual checks. 2 out of 3 people were being sent to second screening. I also received this special honor. The wait was almost 40 - 50 mins due to many people in the room. Basically no more seating was available. When my documents were picked up, it took almost 10 mins for the processing. 

• 2 weeks later...

So I might be just be a bit nervous but I need the final confirmation. I have my conditional green card and the extension letter I-797, along with my passport. Is there anything else I need to worry about or do or is it simply just having those enough to come back? Flying to Maldives through Dubai (Emirates Airlines). Not sure why I made myself nervous and started questioning  myself when I know that all I need is the green card and extension letter I797, but I guess a confirmation will make me feel better haha. 

thank you all! 

2 hours ago, RS_ said:

So I might be just be a bit nervous but I need the final confirmation. I have my conditional green card and the extension letter I-797, along with my passport. Is there anything else I need to worry about or do or is it simply just having those enough to come back? Flying to Maldives through Dubai (Emirates Airlines). Not sure why I made myself nervous and started questioning  myself when I know that all I need is the green card and extension letter I797, but I guess a confirmation will make me feel better haha. 

thank you all! 

Everyone gets nervous when dealing with authorities since they have control over you and you can’t really properly defend your self in fear of retaliation. Also they are usually rude to spot potential issues. Just relax, carry original docs and copies. For you I’m pretty sure your immigration will be done in Dubai when you head back, if coming the same route. Good

luck and have fun.

Hi, we traveled to Pakistan on 16th January by Qatar airways , my wife is using Exp. Green card and Extension letter. Her attorney confirmed she will be fine IA.We also emailed Qatar Airways and their Karachi Reservation Office also confirmed that she will not suppose to face any issues while departing . All the best!

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.