Derwood

Traveling on Extension Letter?

1,145 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, letvapiana said:

Hey i never heard of that. Any chance u can forward me to where i can learn more

I would give a try 

it won’t hurt or affect negatively if they will deny it

good luck 

8D631C4C-866F-4E06-868C-72111399FB56.jpeg

Just an update to overall topic. Flew with my wife back into the US (JFK) from Grand Cayman on "expired" conditional GC with extension letter, our first time flying on the extension letter. The gate attendant in Grand Cayman looked at the letter, no questions asked, and gave us boarding passes. We were not able to go through the automated passport/GC scanning machines on entry into US and did have to wait in the manual-processing line, but the officer who processed us was definitely knowledgable, asked almost no questions, took fingerprints from all fingers on both hands, took a photo, and got us through immigration in under 5 minutes. Easy peasey!

Edited by fishe23a
Met in college, reconnected five years later. Started a life together in America. ❤️

11/09/16 - Mailed I-129F for K-1

11/16/16 - NOA-1

02/07/17 - NOA-2

03/06/17 - Medical (in London)

03/30/17 - Visa Interview - Approved!!

04/06/17 - Visa in hand!! 

05/17/17 - Point of entry, Boston

05/27/17 - WEDDING in Maine!

AOS / EAD / AP Timeline:

06/30/17 - Mailed I-131, I-765, and I-485

07/05/17 - NOA-1 for all three applications.

08/03/17 - Biometrics appointment in Portland, Maine

08/15/17 - Case Status "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview'

08/18/17 - Case Status "Interview Scheduled"

09/25/17 - Interview, 485 AOS Approved. Case status changed to "New Card is in Production".

09/26/17 - Case Status "Case Approved"

09/28/17 - "Card Was Mailed to Me"; received hard copy NOA stating case approved

9/30/17 - Case Status for EAD/AP changed to "Case closed, benefit received by other means"

10/03/17 - Two-year green card received in mail!! 😍

ROC I-751 Timeline
07/06/19 - Mailed I-751 

07/08/19 - Application received by USCIS

07/10/19 - Credit card charged, NOA-1 dated

07/11/19 - Text receipt received, EAC (Vermont)

7/13/19 - Received NOA/extension letter in mail

08/03/19 - Biometrics letter received

08/14/19 - Biometrics appointment completed

08/26/19 - Case status updated to “Fingerprint Review Completed”

05/20/20 - Case status updated to "New Card is in Production"

05/21/2020 - Case status updated to "Case Is Approved"

05/27/2020 - Received 10-year green card in mail on our three-year anniversary!

N-400 Citizenship Timeline

09/25/2020 - Filed online and received electronic NOA-1 same day, IOE receipt number

11/12/2020 - Biometrics reuse notice

12/28/2020 - Received notice for N-400 Interview

2/3/2021 - Interview at Lawrence, MA - Approved!

2/18/2021 - Oath Ceremony!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

Hi guys, i need your help please. My conditional green card is expired on Oct, 2019. I have sent my son’s application to remove conditions (8years old) with mines. I have got my 18 months extension letter but didnt realize  there is not mentioned anything about my son. We are traveling on Nov 12 for 6 weeks outside the US. I am so much worried that if he can travel with me without problem. I dont know what documents do i need for him to travel. And dont know if enough time for paperwork. 

and another thing is i received my biometric appointment letter today in the mail the same day out flight is. What do i have to reschedule it. Really hate to do it . Dont know how long will it take to be rescheduled but i have no choice at this point. I would appreciate your help. Thank you

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
On 11/1/2019 at 1:32 PM, raini7 said:

Hi guys, i need your help please. My conditional green card is expired on Oct, 2019. I have sent my son’s application to remove conditions (8years old) with mines. I have got my 18 months extension letter but didnt realize  there is not mentioned anything about my son. If you listed your dependent son correctly on your I-751 (Page 3, Part 5, Question 5), he should also be getting a GC extension letter. We are traveling on Nov 12 for 6 weeks outside the US. I am so much worried that if he can travel with me without problem. He needs that extension letter, just as you do to get back into the US. I dont know what documents do i need for him to travel. His valid passport, and the GC extension letter. And dont know if enough time for paperwork. USCIS is working very slow at this time.

and another thing is i received my biometric appointment letter today in the mail the same day out flight is. What do i have to reschedule it. Read the biometrics appointment letter, there should be instructions about rescheduling. Really hate to do it . Dont know how long will it take to be rescheduled but i have no choice at this point. If you try to reschedule, you are at the mercy of the ASC scheduling minions in Alexandria, VA. Who knows when the next open appointment time will be?   I would appreciate your help. Thank you

You seem to have painted yourself and your dependent son into a corner. At some point you have to decide what is more important for you, a 10-year GC for you and one for your son, or the travel. Keep in mind it is USCIS old worn-out system not yours, they are calling the shots, not you. You could try to contact the USCIS Customer Service Center and see if they can help.

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Edited by Pitaya

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
On 11/1/2019 at 3:32 PM, raini7 said:

Hi guys, i need your help please. My conditional green card is expired on Oct, 2019. I have sent my son’s application to remove conditions (8years old) with mines. I have got my 18 months extension letter but didnt realize  there is not mentioned anything about my son. We are traveling on Nov 12 for 6 weeks outside the US. I am so much worried that if he can travel with me without problem. I dont know what documents do i need for him to travel. And dont know if enough time for paperwork. 

and another thing is i received my biometric appointment letter today in the mail the same day out flight is. What do i have to reschedule it. Really hate to do it . Dont know how long will it take to be rescheduled but i have no choice at this point. I would appreciate your help. Thank you

Not sure what do you mean saying "son's application". If he received his conditional green card on the same days as you or within 90 days after, then he should've been included in Your application... One petition for 2 of you. 

My son also didn't receive his Extension letter during our ROC. We scheduled an Infopass appointment and got his passport stamped with I-551 stamp. So he could renew his DL and travel internationally. 

You, probably, have very little chance to do that - Nov.12 is around the corner and Monday is a day off.. 

He shouldn't travel outside of US without a combo of an expired green card&ext.letter OR I-551 stamp in his passport - he won't be allowed boarding on the flight to the US without either one... 

Also, don't think I'd leave for that long without knowing what's going on with my dependent's application...

Edited by Ksenia_O

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

raini7, you, could , probably, also move your departure date, So you could get your biometric done and make an inquiry about your son's case, getting the stamp in his passport as well. 

Just DO NOT let him leave the US without stamp or an ext. letter .

Timeline
On 11/1/2019 at 1:32 PM, raini7 said:

Be sure to take care of rescheduling of both of your biometric appointments. Should you fail to appear for a biometrics appointment USCIS will consider your ROC petition/application to be abandoned. You certainly don't want to let that happen for you or your son.:no:

Timeline
3 hours ago, Ksenia_O said:

raini7, you, could , probably, also move your departure date, So you could get your biometric done and make an inquiry about your son's case, getting the stamp in his passport as well. 

Just DO NOT let him leave the US without stamp or an ext. letter .

Ksenia_O has basically given you the only reasonable way to go, you have to delay your departure date.  November 11 is a Federal holiday, USCIS will be closed. You likely will not have time to get everything you need to do with regards to USCIS.  Unfortunately, you have inadvertently run afoul of one of the basic cardinal rules associated with visa journeys, Do NOT make any unchangeable/nonrefundable plans of any kind, i.e., travel, reservations, bookings, etc, without having the proper immigration documentation in your hand. :(

Edited by Pitaya

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Does anyone who has experience with being sent to secondary inspection? What will they usually do during the secondary inspection?

In my mind, probably because of these horror stories I have heard, secondary inspection sounds like they will check your phone or electronics to see if you are admissible or not. I hope this won't be the case since I am already a PR just travelling with expired GC along with NOA

I just submitted my I-751 package, I am hoping to get my NOA soon in mail!

Edited by daijia

Timeline
7 hours ago, daijia said:

Hi,

Does anyone who has experience with being sent to secondary inspection? What will they usually do during the secondary inspection?

In my mind, probably because of these horror stories I have heard, secondary inspection sounds like they will check your phone or electronics to see if you are admissible or not. I hope this won't be the case since I am already a PR just travelling with expired GC along with NOA

Why are you so worried about a situation that has yet to occur? You will certainly not be the first PR to ever have presented an expired GC and the I-797 NOA/Receipt extension letter to a Customs and Border officer. That is the prescribed procedure.

If you are worried about secondary inspection, perhaps you should ask that general  question in the Working and Traveling During US Immigration Forum. 

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks." Queen Gertrude in Hamlet by William Shakespeare. 

Good luck on your immigration journey.

18 hours ago, daijia said:

Hi,

Hi

i did not travel on extension letter but I did travel on Advanced parole/combined work authorization card. And had secondary inspection, NY JFK. No my phone no my staff were checked, they just checked that I really had the pending petition. Everything took around 15 mins. More just waiting with other people. No questions asked. Good luck. 

Just now, Phoenix777 said:

Hi

i did not travel on extension letter but I did travel on Advanced parole/combined work authorization card. And had secondary inspection, NY JFK. No my phone no my staff were checked, they just checked that I really had the pending petition. Everything took around 15 mins. More just waiting with other people. No questions asked. Good luck. 

Thanks for sharing your experience! It is very helpful☺️

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country:
Timeline

Just to report my experience coming back to the USA with an expired GC and the extension letter. The POE was Miami, and although the officer was not very familiar with the extension letter as he asked if I had received my NOA1, which is the extension letter lol. I showed him that I waiting for my ROC interview to be scheduled and showed him the status of my process in the visa tracker app. He then asked me if I never had an interview. I imagine that he is new on the job, or maybe not very familiar with the ROC process. He then left with the extension letter on his hands to ask someone what to do. Then he came back, took my fingerprints and picture, asked me how long I was traveling and why, and if I had any food/meat/fruit with me in my luggage. That's it. It took longer than I was expecting, but no secondary screening. Btw it took almost 2 hours from the moment the plane arrived, to the moment I got my luggage. Although the CPB officers are always nice in Miami, the lines are usually very long. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Bangladesh
Timeline

Hi everyone, Need your help.

So i applied for my GC renew on May 2018. Yesterday was my interview with USCIS, not sure how long it will take to get a decision. But me and my wife have a travel planned On December 27th to Jan 16 out of the country.  

My current extension letter expires in February 2020.

Can someone provide me some information like:

is it safe to travel after GC renew Interview while waiting for response?

Is it safe to travel when i will have only few weeks left for the extension letter?

what  things i need to do before travelling?

Thanks in advance. 

March 17th, 2016: Filled i130, i485, i765

March 18th,2016: Delivered USCIS Chicago

March 23rd,2016: Received 3 text/email with receipt #

March 24th,2016: checks cashed

Didn't receive NOA hard copy receipts in mail(not a problem,if you receive text or email)

April 8th,2016: received bio metrics for i-485 and i-765

April 14th,2016: Early walk in for bio-metrics Appointment (actual date was 18th april)

May 2nd, 2016: Received RFE for Joint Sponsor

May24th, 2016: Sent RFE back to USCIS

May 27th,2016: RFE received by USCIS

June 3rd, 2016: Request to Expedite EAD

June 6th,2016: EAD Approved

June 15th,2016: EAD received in mail

June 15th, 2016: Case status changed for i-485( case is ready to schedule to schedule for a interview)

June 23rd, 2016: Interview is scheduled for August 1st,2016.

August 1st, 2016: Got approved on GC interview

Auugust 1st 2016: case status changed for i-485 (case approved & we send you card to production)

August 4th, 2016: status changed "Card mailed to me"

On 10/12/2019 at 7:59 PM, tamaara said:

I just got back from  a trip to China through LAX with expired GC + extension letter. No problem at all. Airline and customs accepted the documents without question.

Was this on China Southern Airlines?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.