Derwood

Traveling on Extension Letter?

1,145 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, jakelake said:

Hi,

Is the I-797 Notice Of Action letter the actual extension letter?

Thank you.

If the letter mentioned 18 months in bold, yes, it is an actual extension letter.

ROC:

06/29/18 - ROC packet (I-751) sent

07/02/18 - USCIS CSC received date

07/11/18 - NOA (I-797) Notice date

07/16/18 - NOA (I-797) received

03/08/19 - Biometrics reused

06/04/19 - Case transferred to Potomac Service Center  

10/09/19 - New Card Is Being Produced

10/10/19 - Case is approved

10/15/19 - Approval Notice received

10/17/19 - Green Card received 🐶

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline
7 hours ago, mskidw said:
8 hours ago, jakelake said:

Hi,

Is the I-797 Notice Of Action letter the actual extension letter?

Thank you.

If the letter mentioned 18 months in bold, yes, it is an actual extension letter.

Yes, I do see that. Thanks.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Georgia
Timeline

Hi all, 

Quick question. If my GC is expired and I have an extension letter, do I need a stamp in my passport or can I travel with those two documents? 

Thanks

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline
33 minutes ago, Sally30 said:

Hi all, 

Quick question. If my GC is expired and I have an extension letter, do I need a stamp in my passport or can I travel with those two documents? 

Thanks

Hi Sally, no, you don’t need the stamp as long as you have the extension letter and this one is not expired. I traveled a lot before getting my I-751 approved, and I used my extension letter all the time with no problems. Once my extension letter expired, I got the stamp though.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
On 4/26/2017 at 10:54 AM, Derwood said:

There have been quite a few posts recently regarding traveling on an expired GC with the one year extension letter.

Page 38 of this document provides some reassurance:

https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/documents/Carrier Information Guide- English.pdf

It also makes clear that the 12 month extension is from the card expiry date, not the receipt date of the I-797.

Sadly this link is broken. 

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
On 2/15/2020 at 7:40 AM, Mike E said:

Sadly this link is broken. 

https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/assets/documents/2019-Mar/2019 Carrier Information Guide - ENGLISH.pdf

Part 1, Section B.

Edited by DavidCP

• 2 weeks later...

I have an extension letter that will be expiring end of August 2020 - I was planning on getting a stamp in my passport if my case hadn’t moved. 
It seems likely, however, that I’ll be needing to go to my parents house in Canada this weekend due to a family emergency and I am worried about travel bans that might happen before I am able to come back to the US (specifically because I live in NYC). If WORSE CASE scenario happens and Covid-19 lasts until the end of August and I’m stuck in Canada and my Extension letter expires while my case is still be judged what could possibly happen? Who would I contact? I’m very worried about the possibility of leaving and not being able to come back due to the virus. 

• 3 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, SadFace said:

I traveled within 90 days before GC expired and in NY it didn't work through kiosk and I had to stay in long line to officer. They asked me for extention letter ( I took it with me just in case). So better take it even if your GC is still valid 

I traveled one week before expired my green card didn't work as well,but the lady helping people in there sent me to an empty boot they ask if i had been to china that was it :)

42 minutes ago, Ctman2019 said:

I traveled one week before expired my green card didn't work as well,but the lady helping people in there sent me to an empty boot they ask if i had been to china that was it :)

Guys, it did not work when you tried to scan your card at the kiosk or when you type your green card number either? 

• 4 weeks later...

I just wanted to know some information.
I am a green card holder of usa. My conditional green card ( marriage base) is going to expire in 21 may 2020. 

On 21 feb 2020, i applied for 10 years green card and i got receipt also(i-797)

On 13 feb 2020, i reached India and my return date was 30 March 2020, due to covid-19 all international flights are cancelled. 

As flights are not working now a days, just wanted to know the process of traveling to usa with expire green card.

As per news flights will be working after may or may be june . So can i travel to usa with expire green card ?? 

On 1/2/2020 at 6:53 PM, sam27_1980 said:

Just got back from New Delhi (expired GC + letter) on United direct flight. United folks were familiar with extension letter. Indian customs officer commented that card had expired and he scanned the extension letter into their system. All went well. I was anxious about the trip. Wanted to share my experience to put other travelers at ease. 

U travel with expire green card + letter .

letter means i-797 ??? Or you got another extension letter??

mine green card is also expired and i received only i-797 ( payment receipt)

can i travel to usa with expire gc with this i-797 letter ???

as i am stuck in india due to covid-19

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Chile
Timeline
21 hours ago, Neetgill said:

U travel with expire green card + letter .

letter means i-797 ??? Or you got another extension letter??

mine green card is also expired and i received only i-797 ( payment receipt)

can i travel to usa with expire gc with this i-797 letter ???

as i am stuck in india due to covid-19

Yes, I-797 is the letter. Read it carefully, it says "your conditional resident status is extended for 18 months....during this extension you are authorized to work and travel"

J-1 212 Residency Requirement Waiver                                                                    Removal of Conditions

08/22/2016 Advisory opinion request                                                                      07/01/2019 Package sent (I-751)

09/30/2016 Finding letter sent *subject*                                                                 07/03/2019 Package received at Pheonix, AZ Lockbox

09/30/2016 Documents received by DOS                                                                07/10/2019 Text notification of Case received, WAC#

12/13/2016 NOS Letter received                                                                               07/12/2019 Received NOA, 18 month extension letter.

01/25/2017 Favorable Recommendation Sent                                                        01/27/2020 Biometrics taken, Pomona CA

02/02/2017 Case received by USCIS                                                                         08/14/2020 Case transferred to NBC

02/2017 Married!                                                                                                            04/02/2021 Interview scheduled

05/17/2017 Approval notice received                                                                       05/10/2021 Interview at San Bernardino office

05/11/2021 Case approved

Adjustment Of Status from J-1                                                                                     N-400

05/08/2017 Package sent (I-130, I-485 and I-765)                                                   06/28/2020 Applied Online

05/11/2017 Package received at Chicago Lockbox                                                 07/06/2020 Received NOA

05/18/2017 NOA received with case numbers via mail                                           12/14/2020 Biometrics Reuse Notice

06/06/2017 Had biometrics appointment in Pomona, CA                                       04/02/2021 Interview scheduled

08/07/2017 Sent an online service request on I-765                                                05/10/2021 Interview at San Bernardino office/Decision cannot be made because of I-751 pending

08/17/2017 Letter in the mail saying case still under review                                  05/17/2021 Case recommended for approved, submitted for quality review

08/23/2017 Scheduled for an interview                                                                      05/17/2021 Oath Ceremony will be scheduled

08/26/2017 Sent second SR on I-765                                                                          06/25/2021 Oath Ceremony, San Bernardino Office

08/26/2017 EAD New Card is Being Produced

08/29/2017 EAD card was mailed to me

08/31/2017 EAD card received in the mail

09/25/2017  Interview at San Bernardino office/GC approved

09/25/2017 GC is being produced

09/28/2017 GC was mailed to me

09/30/2017 GC received in the mail

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.