Sara2017

What happens if I do not go to the green card interview?

24 posts in this topic

Hey Everyone,

I'm in a sticky situation. 

I met my husband in 2014. We had been on and off for a couple years, despite that I always loved him. He asked me to get married to him March 2016. (we actually got married July 2016) 

A big reason why he asked me to get married so quickly is because he was having immigration issues, but he also will say he loved me and saw us together for the long term. I on the other hand would have married him regardless if he had immigration issues. In my heart I said yes because I loved him and we were going to be together anyways. Proving that our relationship is legitimate is no problem for us. We were real. 

Unfortunately, we fight ALOT. So much to the point I cannot handle it anymore and it really ruins my entire day/week. So it is best we divorce.

We have a green card interview coming up in a couple months. He has said to me that he would refuse to sign the divorce papers because it effects his immigration status. 

He has told me to go through with the interview and that we can go our separate ways after (while maintaining marriage status) and I said to him I don't want to pretend. If we aren't together as a couple we are no longer going to be married.

I would divorce for irreconcilable differences, and I have much proof to support that claim.

He threatened that he would notify immigration of marriage fraud and that I married him only to get him a green card. Which is harsh since I got married because I loved him and we were a real couple. This breaks my heart because I just want to play clean and he is ready to take the guns out on me. I am not trying to destroy him. I just want to do what is right. And us being married is not that. I feel trapped. :(

A part of me thought about just not showing up to the first interview and having them deny it. Are there any consequences to me (the citizen) for not showing up? 

I know I need to consult with a lawyer about this but any words of advice helps!

Edited by Sara2017

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to Effects of Major family Changes, from General Immigration - As similar threads are discussed here.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You need to pull the I 864 asap and file for divorce.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Country:
Timeline
52 minutes ago, Sara2017 said:

A big reason why he asked me to get married so quickly is because he was having immigration issues,

he married you for a green card.

pull i864 ASAP or you are on the hook for 10 years

move out (he can try to file vawa against you)

file for divorce / annulment

move on with life

good luck

Timeline

File for divorce and let him go do his own thing. He cannot adjust his status without you and will be out-of-status and overstaying the moment you pull out. 

Make sure you pull the I-864 support otherwise you're legally on the hook for him financially even after divorce until he's a U.S. Citizen! Even if you for whatever reason decide to go to the interview and then divorce after the fact, he could technically sue you for not financially supporting him even after you've divorced and separated, all because on the I-864 you signed that you are responsible for him financially until he's either a US citizen, left the country, or dead, and there'd be nothing stopping him from being a green card holder forever and as such, keeping you on the hook forever, too. 

03-19-2021: Officially an American Citizen 🇺🇸 Entire journey from initial K-1 Visa filing to Naturalization took 5 years, 8 days.

You can see my complete timeline by clicking here.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline
11 hours ago, Sara2017 said:

I know I need to consult with a lawyer about this but any words of advice helps!

Very very sorry to hear about your situation. It cuts deep when love is involved. Hang in there...

One other tip, I would not mention my intentions of pulling the I-864 or at least try not have one on one (alone) conversations with him about it. Better play it safe. Personally, I'd do what I had to do and not talk to him about this or my life thereafter. 

Best of luck - sending you strength! You are in my thoughts...

“Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there someday.” - WTP 

Spoiler

USCIS
09/07/16: I-130 mailed
09/12/16: NOA1 email
01/11/17: Received an RFE
02/20/17 RFE Response
03/01/17: NOA2 / I-130 Approved (letter)

NVC 

03/17/17: NVC received

03/21/17: Submitted DS-261 (Online Choice of Address and Agent)

03/22/17: Received DS-261+ AOS Bill
03/22/17: AOS Bill Paid
03/27/17: Received + Paid IV Bill

04/20/17: PCC + New Birth Certificate received (took 4+ weeks)
04/25/17: Sent AOS + IV Package
06/27/17: CC confirmed on the phone (NVC)
06/28/17: Interview date confirmed on the phone (NVC)
06/30/17: P4 Letter received (via email)
07/06/17: Second identical P4 email received
07/10/17: Our case left NVC
07/13/17: Case arrived at New Delhi Consulate

07/18/17: Email received from New Delhi Embassy about Biometrics/VAC

07/18/17: Email received from New Delhi Embassy (missing Marriage Certificate - must have lost it since we included this in the RFE during the USCIS stage + got approved!)

07/18/17: Biometrics scheduled via UStraveldocs site
07/21/17: Biometrics completed

07/25/17: Medical scheduled (Max in Lajpat)

07/26/17: Medical completed (will be ready to pick up in 3-4 days)
08/01/17: Medical papers ready for pickup

08/16/17: Interview Day

08/16/17: Visa Approved - Woohoo! 💕

08/17/17: Visa issued + passport ready for pickup

08/18/17: Passport and sealed envelops picked up

08/19/17: Immigration Fee ($220) paid via ELIS
08/25/17: Plane ticket purchased (POE on Sep) 😍
09/14/17: POE at Dulles 

ROC

09/10/19: I-751 Packet sent 🤘
09/20/19: NOA I-797 received! 

Here is our Embassy review and interview details http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/view-dos-cis-reviews.php?entry=22377

2 hours ago, zilchfox said:

File for divorce and let him go do his own thing. He cannot adjust his status without you and will be out-of-status and overstaying the moment you pull out. 

Make sure you pull the I-864 support otherwise you're legally on the hook for him financially even after divorce until he's a U.S. Citizen! Even if you for whatever reason decide to go to the interview and then divorce after the fact, he could technically sue you for not financially supporting him even after you've divorced and separated, all because on the I-864 you signed that you are responsible for him financially until he's either a US citizen, left the country, or dead, and there'd be nothing stopping him from being a green card holder forever and as such, keeping you on the hook forever, too. 

He possibly can adjust with someone else.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Lemonslice said:

He possibly can adjust with someone else.

If it's possible, then let him do his thing, as long as OP doesn't have to deal with him anymore and be out of OP's life.

03-19-2021: Officially an American Citizen 🇺🇸 Entire journey from initial K-1 Visa filing to Naturalization took 5 years, 8 days.

You can see my complete timeline by clicking here.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Just want to share my life's experience with a man like your husband.  I thank God never married the jerk, but I wasted two precious years of my life thinking I was in love with this man.  After being married 10 years to a loser, this man came along with all of the right words.  He knew how to string me along without ever having to make a commitment.  All of my friends and family tried to delicately show me he was using me, but as like most people who have their hearts involved, you are blind to their smooth moves.  I finally one day by the grace of God woke up and realized what the problem was.  I didn't like myself and had absolutely no self-esteem.  I had been beaten down mentally so bad by my previous marriage that I seriously thought I was a loser and just couldn't see the destructive pattern I had been in of choosing the worst for me.  I see me in you.  PLEASE do not allow this man to do this to you!  You are worthy of having a healthy relationship with the man of your dreams who will treat you like his queen!!!!  Once I let go of all the dead weight in my life and decided to live for ME, I ran into my amazing current love of my life!!  I wasn't looking for anyone at that point.  He just fell in to my life like a well fit glove.  He treats me like a REAL man should treat his lady.  I FINALLY know what TRUE love is.  I have faith that one day you will find the same.  You say you love him, but your love is not a healthy love.  Please take a step back and examine who has been putting all the effort into your relationship.  Has he honestly done anything to contribute to your happiness?  Are you miserable on a daily basis?  Are you always making excuses for his behavior?  Do you cry yourself to sleep most nights?  This is not what love is all about.  

With all that said, PLEASE WITHDRAW YOUR I-864 NOW!!! You do not want to have him legally hanging over your head for quite some time.  I wish you all the happiness in the world and that you discover your wonderful, strong, independent side that can allow a good man to love you for you.  Best wishes sweetie!

Edited by neilsqueen

Filed: Other Timeline

Divorce the creep ASAP. inform uscis in writing that the marriage is over

and you would like to pull AOS. Pkease do not go to interview with him

and lie that would be fraud,h e cannot report you for fraud the fraudster

is him. Just move on with your life.

16 hours ago, Sara2017 said:

Hey Everyone,

I'm in a sticky situation. 

I met my husband in 2014. We had been on and off for a couple years, despite that I always loved him. He asked me to get married to him March 2016. (we actually got married July 2016) 

A big reason why he asked me to get married so quickly is because he was having immigration issues, but he also will say he loved me and saw us together for the long term. I on the other hand would have married him regardless if he had immigration issues. In my heart I said yes because I loved him and we were going to be together anyways. Proving that our relationship is legitimate is no problem for us. We were real. 

Unfortunately, we fight ALOT. So much to the point I cannot handle it anymore and it really ruins my entire day/week. So it is best we divorce.

We have a green card interview coming up in a couple months. He has said to me that he would refuse to sign the divorce papers because it effects his immigration status. 

He has told me to go through with the interview and that we can go our separate ways after (while maintaining marriage status) and I said to him I don't want to pretend. If we aren't together as a couple we are no longer going to be married.

I would divorce for irreconcilable differences, and I have much proof to support that claim.

He threatened that he would notify immigration of marriage fraud and that I married him only to get him a green card. Which is harsh since I got married because I loved him and we were a real couple. This breaks my heart because I just want to play clean and he is ready to take the guns out on me. I am not trying to destroy him. I just want to do what is right. And us being married is not that. I feel trapped. :(

A part of me thought about just not showing up to the first interview and having them deny it. Are there any consequences to me (the citizen) for not showing up? 

That's some pathetic guy.. It seems obvious he wants to use you to get a green card. Divorce him asap and move on. Good luck to you

You should be 100% sure its over before you decide not to show up or pull the i-864. You still have at least a month to decide. Maybe spend a week or two apart, let emotions die down and then have a conversation about your marriage with him before making your decision. I say this because similar stories on here are always one-sided but no one on VJ knows the other side of the story.

AOS FROM - F1 OPT                                                                                                                                             ROC
Day 00 - Jun-08-2016 - AOS Package Delivered [Chicago Lockbox]                                                          Day 00 - Mar-12-2018 - ROC Package Delivered [California Service Center] 

Day 13 - Jun-21-2016 - Hardcopy NOA  for I-485, I-130, I-765                                                                   Day 09 - Mar-21-2018- Check Cashed                                                                   

Day 17 - Jun-25-2016 - Biometrics Letter [Appointment July 5]                                                                 Day 11 - Mar-23-2018-Received NOA Letter

Day 50 - Jul-28-2016 -  Case Is Ready To Be Scheduled for an Interview                                                 Day 68 - May-18-2018 - Received Biometrics WAIVER Letter

Day 61 - Aug-08-2016 - AOS Interview Letter [interview Date Sept 7]                                                       Day 159 -Aug-17-2018 - Received 18 Month Extension Letter

Day 71 - Aug-17-2016 - Interview Cancellation Letter [unforeseen Circumstances]                              Day 406-Apr-22-2019 - New Card Is Being Produced

Day 79 - Aug-25-2016 - New AOS Interview Letter [New Interview Date Sept 27]                                   Day 410-Apr26-2019 - Received ROC Approval Letter

Day 85 - Aug-31-2016 - Received EAD Card                                                                                                    Day 414- Apr-30-2019 - Received 10-year Green Card :dance:

Day 112 -Sep-27-2016 - AOS Interview [Case Status: New Card Is Being Produced]                              N400   5-yr-based                      

Day 118 -Oct-03-2016 -  Received AOS Approval Letter                                                                               Day 00 - Mar-12-2021- Submitted N400 Application online

Day 121 -Oct-06-2016 - Received Conditional Green Card [ROC opens ~ Mar 10, 2018]                       Day 322 - Jan-28-2022- N400 Interview Scheduled

Day 353 - Feb-26-2022- Interviewed. Approved. Same Day Oath 🇺🇸

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.