bahamamama234

MEGATHREAD- What does a Trump Presidency mean for visas? (merged)

660 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Guys DO you think Trump will Stop all emigrations to US for a while once he go to The White house? will he do that? Specially Muslims?

No.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Guys DO you think Trump will Stop all emigrations to US for a while once he go to The White house? will he do that? Specially Muslims?

Stop, no. Make it a lot more difficult.....possibly.

**Adjusting from initial Q1/changed to B1 then overstay, termination of removal proceedings**

(STAND ALONE i-130/TERMINATION OF REMOVAL)

First met: Totally random by asking for directions, June 2014 while on vacation at Disney World (L)

Engaged: Aug. 21, 2014

Married: Dec. 1, 2014

ICE phone contact: sometime in early Dec. 2014- Co-operated, retained attorney who advised the same.

Filed stand alone i-130: January 2015 (VSC)

ICE home visit, schedule time to go to DHS office and NTA issued, date TBD, was not detained and released on own recognizance within an hour: January, 2015.

NOA1: Feb. 20, 2015.

Transfer to CSC to balance workloads: August 2015

1)First Master Calendar Hearing: Sept. 9, 2015-Continued based on pending i-130, new court date in 6mo.

Congressional Inquiry: Dec 8. 2015

***i-130 APPROVED WITHOUT INTERVIEW: Dec. 21, 2015** :dancing:

2)Second Master Hearing: March 9, 2016- Removal proceedings terminated w/o prejudice based on approved i-130!! Remanded to USCIS to begin AOS process :dance:

(AOS AFTER TERMINATION)

Filed AOS packet: March 16, 2016.

NOA1: March 21, 2016.

Biometrics: April 20, 2016.

RFE Initial evidence: April 21, 2016 for birth cert/translation and Q1/B1 i94s

RFE response received: May 10, 2016.

EAD approval: May 25, 2016- Card arrived at attorney's office! Could not pick up until May 30 because we were at Disney World again :):D

Notice of missing medical exam: July 2016 (Done on purpose to avoid expiration, we will bring it to the interview as stated in notice)

Inquiry about case status: Sept 2016- Case pending interview at local office.

Inquiry about case status again: Oct. 2016- Due to factors not related to your case, anticipate a delay in processing

HAPPY 2YR ANNIVERSARY TO US!!

Infopass #1 at local office: Dec. 19, 2016- Case pending background/security checks, advised when to renew EAD #2

Waiting on interview at local office...... :clock:

Sent EAD renewal: Feb 10, 2016

EAD#2 NOA1: March 3, 2016

INTERVIEW SCHEDULED!!: interview on March 27, 2017

Text notification, new card being produced: March 29, 2017!!!

*~*~*~*818 DAYS TOTAL*~*~*~

"A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor."

:girlwerewolf2xn: Ana (L) Felix :wub:

K1 March Filer 2016

Interview Approved August 19, 2016

POE September 25, 2016

AOS November Filer 2016

DISCLAIMER: Please excuse my ABC & Gramm@r I am not an editor...

Re-re-re-re-restating the obvious.

A more realistic concern in the meantime ought to be whether Obama will try to offer any kind of amnesty or "pardon" to illegal aliens, or again set back the processing of ongoing immigration petitions as occurred after his DACA decree:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/421247-i-129f-delay-at-the-csc-a-comprehensive-analysis-of-the-data/

What a kick in the teeth either would be to everyone who's going through (or who has gone through) the legal-immigration process.

If Obama tries to issue blanket pardons for groups of illegal aliens, or all of them, we might reasonably expect the legality of those pardons to be challenged (and reversed) by President Trump.

Obama should be challenged in the courts if he oversteps his executive powers and tries to do anything (including pardoning the illegal entries of these people) to legalize these DACA beneficiaries.

Amnesty to these people is a slap to the face of those of us who went through the legal immigration process.

Check my timeline for K-1 visa & AOS details

Conditional Permanent Resident: 16 September 2014

Conditional GC Expires: 16 September 2016

ROC Journey (CA Service Center)

2016-Sep-14: I-751 form, check, supporting docs sent USPS Priority Express

2016-Sep-15: ROC application received & signed for by Lakelieh

2016-Sep-15: NOA receipt date

2016-Sep-19: $590 check cashed by USCIS

2016-Sep-20: NOA/ 1-year extension letter received in mail

2018-Feb-26: ROC case transferred to local office

2018-Mar-06: ROC approved via USCIS website (WAC status check)

Timeline

Anyone care to chime in on what, if anything, could happen to overstaeyers who have applied for AOS and are pending? Have not seen this mentioned anywhere concerning Trump's plans. Would they be safe if they are in process? In theory.

Edited by sparkles_

**Adjusting from initial Q1/changed to B1 then overstay, termination of removal proceedings**

First met: Totally random by asking for directions, June 2014 while on vacation at Disney World (L)

ICE phone contact: sometime in early Dec. 2014- Co-operated, retained attorney who advised the same.

ICE home visit, schedule time to go to DHS office and NTA issued, date TBD, was not detained and released on own recognizance within an hour: January, 2015.

1)First Master Calendar Hearing: Sept. 9, 2015-Continued based on pending i-130, new court date in 6mo.

2)Second Master Hearing: March 9, 2016- Removal proceedings terminated w/o prejudice based on approved i-130!! Remanded to USCIS to begin AOS process :dance:

(AOS AFTER TERMINATION)

EAD approval: May 25, 2016- Card arrived at attorney's office! Could not pick up until May 30 because we were at Disney World again :):D

Notice of missing medical exam: July 2016 (Done on purpose to avoid expiration, we will bring it to the interview as stated in notice)

Inquiry about case status again: Oct. 2016- Due to factors not related to your case, anticipate a delay in processing

Infopass #1 at local office: Dec. 19, 2016- Case pending background/security checks, advised when to renew EAD #2

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Sessions is the grandpappy of racism. Dig deeper, you will see crazy things.

What else have you discovered yourself about Sen. Sessions ? He is a strong opponent to illegal immigration , i can totally AGREE

with that. He knows laws and politics, he will be able to do more than you can imagine for the country.

Timeline

What else have you discovered yourself about Sen. Sessions ? He is a strong opponent to illegal immigration , i can totally AGREE

with that. He knows laws and politics, he will be able to do more than you can imagine for the country.

I know a lot more than google news for this one. The fact that I live in the South, have for almost all my life, and it is well known the gentleman had quite a reputation for being somewhat OK the the triple K in my younger years. And no, I do not think it was in a joking tone as he later stated. The man has a record of being fair to blacks in the public eye on a level that is super (I know for a fact he had hands all over desegregating schools in AL), but then you have people testifying against him saying he called a white civil rights lawyer a disgrace to the white race....which he did NOT deny, he only denied calling a black officer worker something. It was all in all enough to get Session denied 30 years ago for a similar position.

He didn't get on his own civil rights kick til after he got denied and the world got all over his case about his remarks. He touts Mr. Charles Pickering (check him out, too) as being a fine human being dedicated to racial harmony, but the catch is that Pickering means don't mix those races to keep harmony....this buddy of Session's defended anti-miscegenation laws, which AL was the last state to get rid of. Oh, and he also didn't characterize the "grab 'em by the p***y" bit as sexual assault...... come on now.

I don't give a toot about this guy's immigration stance, it won't affect us. But he has quite a record of showing veiled distaste for certain types of folk, be it old news or not. A tiger does not change his stripes. Take it from someone who lived in his area, and knew about him BEFORE he got into this nomination.

Edited by sparkles_

(AOS AFTER TERMINATION)

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Anyone care to chime in on what, if anything, could happen to overstaeyers who have applied for AOS and are pending? Have not seen this mentioned anywhere concerning Trump's plans. Would they be safe if they are in process? In theory.

he has never announced plans against in these cases

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

We are not sure whether we will be able to enter the country or we will be send back on the same plane we are immidiate relatives and we schedule to travel by the end of January at thate time Trump will be already in the white house, why we said we are nit sure becuase we are African Muslim family and my spouse is African American Muslim we are the two categories that are subjected to Trump's future plan.

We are not sure whether we will be able to enter the country or we will be send back on the same plane we are immidiate relatives and we schedule to travel by the end of January at thate time Trump will be already in the white house, why we said we are nit sure becuase we are African Muslim family and my spouse is African American Muslim we are the two categories that are subjected to Trump's future plan.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Did you read this thread or read anything from a valid news source online that would substantiate this fear you have?

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hey guys! Trump just posted a video about his plans for first 100 days in the office. Though, he says that these are just a few of the actions.. Hope it helps.. ?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Visa programs that "undercut the American worker"......sounds like work visas are first on the list for reforms then.

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

He lies and changes his mind all the time, so I don't know how these "statements" are supposed to be helpful. It's just branding and feelgoods with no specifics.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

He lies and changes his mind all the time, so I don't know how these "statements" are supposed to be helpful. It's just branding and feelgoods with no specifics.

True, but he's going to have to make a decision at some point....I'd imagine his bombastic flying off the handle will materialize into something. Also, going after work visas first seems like the most diplomatic thing to do....as I doubt any Americans would really be upset about that. But yeah, it might just be a bunch of hot air. He could just change his mind at the drop of a hat and I doubt his supporters would care.

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

I'm not trying to scare anyone, but all of us who are waiting for the green card should be aware of what I believe is already happening so we can make choices to avoid coming in contact with CPB and ICE.

Given the new political climate I don't think we can be too careful in the upcoming months. We are a bit more worried now about not yet having our green card and being in the limbo they are calling "Period of Stay Authorized by the Attorney General" especially given who the new attorney general will be in 2 months. (A bit about Sessions: "And in those roles, he has fought tooth and nail against advances for racial equality, women’s rights, due process for immigrants, or voting rights.")

We are also aware that even under the Obama admin people in our limbo situation were being placed in removal. (see below) We are pretty sure that won't get better under the new admin. In fact, we might just be the low hanging fruit Trump needs to get his 1-2 million and claim victory for deporting criminals.......Once deported who will know if we were criminals or in a legal limbo? Each of us will just be a number in the statistics.

Here is the article that explains the details https://www.ilw.com/articles/2009,0120-rizzo.shtm

Here is an excerpt which explains the basics

ICE and CBP interpret the date of expiration of the I-94 as out-of-status and thus, subject to removal proceedings under INA 240. CBP acknowledges that under 8 CFR 274a.12(b)(20), an alien is eligible to work in the U.S. while an extension petition is pending. However, this provision only applies to work authorization. CBP takes the position that an alien in possession of an expired I-94 card is out-of-status, regardless of whether an extension petition is pending before CIS. If encountered, such aliens will be picked up by the Border Patrol and will be placed in removal proceedings.

The above seems to apply mostly to extensions, while the following seems to apply to all of us:

Based on an informal discussion with a local CBP officer in Buffalo, NY it appears that it is not only local, but national CBP policy to consider aliens who are in a period of authorized stay to be removable if they are out of status. Border Patrol officers, who are part of CBP and are responsible for patrolling the areas between ports of entry, are not given any discretion in terms of who to detain; anyone lacking proof of currently valid status is arrested and detained. It is not until an ICE attorney has a chance to review the case that discretion can be exercised to determine whether or not to issue an NTA to a detainee. Meanwhile, an alien who has an adjustment of status application or a timely filed extension or change of status request pending may be locked up in detention for days or weeks.

(Both quotes are from the above linked article)

And, given this mogolian cluster I called USCIS to ask if ANY proof of legal status can be given. I was told the EAD/AP card and SS card along with the receipt for I-485 would be proof and that we wouldn't be detained. I think in an ideal world that might be true, but apparently it isn't true. I told her that CPB is in fact detaining people, and she said USCIS doesn't have control over them. So there you have it.

She claimed there was something I could print from the USCIS page describing that we are legal. If anyone finds this let me know.

For the time being, all of us should carry as much proof as we can (SS card, EAD/AP, state ID if you can get it, proof of marriage, I-797, passport, visa, etc. ) You might want to have the phone number of an experienced immigration attorney with you as well. We probably should avoid the border areas (and buses and Western Union offices where ICE has been known to watch for Latinos)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.