bahamamama234

MEGATHREAD- What does a Trump Presidency mean for visas? (merged)

660 posts in this topic

"As a green card holder, should I be afraid of Donald Trump?"

https://www.quora.com/As-a-green-card-holder-should-I-be-afraid-of-Donald-Trump

I don't think he's going to do anything to green card holder married to a USC. Getting permanent residency/adjusting through work visa's, student visa's etc is probably something he might go after.

Edited by stephadams

01/13/2016: I-129F filed  07/15/2016: K-1 visa in hand
10/13/2016: Filed AOS + EAD/AP.   07/07/2017: Permanent resident (Conditional)
04/16/2019: Filed ROC  11/17/2020: Approved. (10 yr GC)

Naturalization                                                        
09/02/2020: Filed (Online)    09/08/2020: NOA1: (NBC
10/22/2020: Biometrics Reuse Notice.  12/22/2020: Online Status Changed to Interview Was Scheduled.  
01/29/2021: N-400 Interview - PASSED! 01/29/2021: Same-day oath ceremony.  

'Merica. 

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't think he's going to do anything to green card holder married to a USC. Getting permanent residency/adjusting through work visa's, student visa's etc is probably something he might go after.

do you really think so? in country aos is a boon for USCIS. once he realizes that its basically self funded and taking this all away would cause more expenses.

cutting foreign worker visas is something probable

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hey guys. I read on a website that if I get issued a conditional green card when I enter US and IF Trump decides to freeze GC issuance afterwards, I may not be able to proceed with the condition removal process after 2 years to get a permanent GC. This is just for my information because my 2nd marriage anniversary will be in April 2017 and my PD will be current in sometime January 2017. So what will be the best option for me? Enter US before my 2 yr anniversary and see what happens or wait for a month or 2, enter after April 2017, and pray to God that Trump doesn't do anything drastic in next 6 months? Again, this is just so that I can be prepared and I'm not really familiar with US Laws. Thanks! :D

See point 5.

http://qz.com/834203/what-to-do-before-donald-trump-becomes-us-president-applying-for-visas-green-cards-and-citizenship/

All of the items in that list are sensible things to do regardless of what Trump might do in the future.

What will he ultimately try to do? Who knows? He's said so many different things. There are certain things he can do immediately by himself. Other things will require laws to be passed by Congress. Even some of those things that are passed by Congress might be invalidated by the courts (it will take considerable time to get to the Supreme Court and if there are particularly harmful possibilities imposed by the law then the courts will probably put the effects of the law "on hold" until final rulings).

While it is easy to take a "wait and see" attitude (some people say "don't worry until it happens") that's the approach that eventually sent millions into gas chambers in Germany. No, don't panic. But DO make your voice heard. Write your Congressional Representative and both Senators to ensure that your voice is heard.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

All of the items in that list are sensible things to do regardless of what Trump might do in the future.

What will he ultimately try to do? Who knows? He's said so many different things. There are certain things he can do immediately by himself. Other things will require laws to be passed by Congress. Even some of those things that are passed by Congress might be invalidated by the courts (it will take considerable time to get to the Supreme Court and if there are particularly harmful possibilities imposed by the law then the courts will probably put the effects of the law "on hold" until final rulings).

While it is easy to take a "wait and see" attitude (some people say "don't worry until it happens") that's the approach that eventually sent millions into gas chambers in Germany. No, don't panic. But DO make your voice heard. Write your Congressional Representative and both Senators to ensure that your voice is heard.

What are the "certain" things he can do immediately by himself ?

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: India
Timeline

I'm actually married to a LPR. I'm thinking about when to enter US.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Omg he is not going to freeze greencard! He is not going to make changes...I guarantee not much will change...I bet america won't get a wall, Mexicans won't be deported and there won't be a ban on Muslims.

He will have to write apologies to all the Republicans for lying:/

The wall is going to be a darn fence as what I've heard about it. I don't think he's going to freeze permanent residency, what is that? Kicking a million of legal people with greencards out of the country? 'Murica

Naturalization                                                        
10/22/2020: Biometrics Reuse Notice.  12/22/2020: Online Status Changed to Interview Was Scheduled.  

'Merica. 

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: India
Timeline

Freezing and kicking out are two different things! Trump has mentioned several times that he will pause issuing GC's for a year or two to bring the number of legal immigrants down. After the numbers are under control, he will resume the issuance! Is anyone here a LPR? Or just USC's?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Now something puzzles me :content: What does the "canceling visa" if countries won't take their people back means ? Does it include people already approved (visa in hand) or the future applications ? :huh2: I gotta admit that I haven't seen any details on that question yet (Whether the media or Trump came to an explanation in depth)

Filed: Other Country: Iran
Timeline
Timeline

Now something puzzles me :content: What does the "canceling visa" if countries won't take their people back means ? Does it include people already approved (visa in hand) or the future applications ? :huh2: I gotta admit that I haven't seen any details on that question yet (Whether the media or Trump came to an explanation in depth)

Donald Trump’s Long To-Do List for Day 1

"He has said he also plans on Day 1 to suspend immigration from “terror-prone” countries, and to impose “extreme vetting” on others. "

So there you have it, confirmation that visas from "terror-prone" countries will be suspended. Prepare for huge delays in your visa process starting January 21, 2017. France may even be on the "terror-prone" list considering the widespread publicity around terrorist attacks in France in the past couple years.

Source: New York Times

Check my timeline for K-1 visa & AOS details

Conditional Permanent Resident: 16 September 2014

Conditional GC Expires: 16 September 2016

ROC Journey (CA Service Center)

2016-Sep-14: I-751 form, check, supporting docs sent USPS Priority Express

2016-Sep-15: ROC application received & signed for by Lakelieh

2016-Sep-15: NOA receipt date

2016-Sep-19: $590 check cashed by USCIS

2016-Sep-20: NOA/ 1-year extension letter received in mail

2018-Feb-26: ROC case transferred to local office

2018-Mar-06: ROC approved via USCIS website (WAC status check)

Timeline

George W Bush did a muslim registry for non-US citizens after 9/11. This is nothing new.

You're right, the registry is not new. What's new is the current political climate and Trump's recent statement regarding the legality of Japanese internment camps, suggesting that Muslim internment camps would also be legal.

And it should be noted that under the Bush registry, no one was ever arrested for terrorist-related activity.

You're right, the registry is not new. What's new is the current political climate and Trump's recent statement regarding the legality of Japanese internment camps, suggesting that Muslim internment camps would also be legal.

And it should be noted that under the Bush registry, no one was ever arrested for terrorist-related activity.

I'm not sure if no one was ever arrested for terrorist-related activity under the Bush registry for muslims. Thousands got deported using that registry though. (most probably for immigration violations)

Someone who's a muslim who is legally present in the US, hasn't committed any crimes and is not engaged in terrorist activity or anything that can be construed as lending support to terrorist organizations shouldn't have anything to worry about with regards to deportation.

As for behavior by individual Americans towards muslim immigrants, that's a different story. Also, the US government can and may engage in systematic discrimination towards muslims by curtailing visas and making security checks much more difficult to pass.

Regarding your statement on muslim internment camps, I predict civil rights organizations (the ACLU being one) will be chomping at the bit to have a go at the Trump administration if any such proposal comes to fruition.

Check my timeline for K-1 visa & AOS details

Conditional Permanent Resident: 16 September 2014

Conditional GC Expires: 16 September 2016

ROC Journey (CA Service Center)

2016-Sep-14: I-751 form, check, supporting docs sent USPS Priority Express

2016-Sep-15: ROC application received & signed for by Lakelieh

2016-Sep-15: NOA receipt date

2016-Sep-19: $590 check cashed by USCIS

2016-Sep-20: NOA/ 1-year extension letter received in mail

2018-Feb-26: ROC case transferred to local office

2018-Mar-06: ROC approved via USCIS website (WAC status check)

Freezing and kicking out are two different things! Trump has mentioned several times that he will pause issuing GC's for a year or two to bring the number of legal immigrants down. After the numbers are under control, he will resume the issuance! Is anyone here a LPR? Or just USC's?

I'm talking about freezing the greencards and a lot of people still need to get their unconditional greencard after their conditional one. I was referring to the moment of freezing the issuance of greencards and those who still need to get their 10y greencard. What's he going to do? Kicking out all of those legal permanent residences because they can't get their greencard renewed? That'd be something. So I was more leaning on to the fact of freezing greencards is not really going to happen.

Edited by stephadams

Naturalization                                                        

'Merica. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.