wayno

Wife failed, wants to file form N-336 to request a hearing. Any experience or ideas?

34 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Well, my wife passed the Civics test and the English reading and writing part of the test in Feb, but failed the understanding English part of the test (the N-400) as she did not remember her whole phone number and had a problem answering the number of trips abroad question. Those were the only questions.

She re-took the understanding English re-do just last week. After extensive studying her N-400 ,she failed. From her description the agent asked 1 question and It sounded like she got it right (Why do you want to become a citizen). She answered "to vote". Was then asked to explain and she got confused and answered again "to vote". No good, sent to the office to see the agent's boss and was told she failed.

We just got the letter, and it mentioned a possibility of a hearing----of course for an extra fee.

Has anybody requested one? Know of anybody who has? Results?

At this point, should we get a lawyer? I need to check locally, but any idea on a price range for a lawyer and if one is worth it? I might have thought wrong but I was always under the impression that a lawyer is good for you if you are bad with paperwork and can help in explaining things but I thought they cant be involved in the test/interview? Or have I been wrong? Up to her citizen attempts (she is terrible at tests) everything has been easy. I must have killed a whole forest on her initial petition for residency making sure all forms were perfect and kept ALL records of our life together back then.

Any ideas. She is really feeling down about this.

Thanks

1 hour ago, wayno said:

Well, my wife passed the Civics test and the English reading and writing part of the test in Feb, but failed the understanding English part of the test (the N-400) as she did not remember her whole phone number and had a problem answering the number of trips abroad question. Those were the only questions.

She re-took the understanding English re-do just last week. After extensive studying her N-400 ,she failed. From her description the agent asked 1 question and It sounded like she got it right (Why do you want to become a citizen). She answered "to vote". Was then asked to explain and she got confused and answered again "to vote". No good, sent to the office to see the agent's boss and was told she failed.

We just got the letter, and it mentioned a possibility of a hearing----of course for an extra fee.

Has anybody requested one? Know of anybody who has? Results?

At this point, should we get a lawyer? I need to check locally, but any idea on a price range for a lawyer and if one is worth it? I might have thought wrong but I was always under the impression that a lawyer is good for you if you are bad with paperwork and can help in explaining things but I thought they cant be involved in the test/interview? Or have I been wrong? Up to her citizen attempts (she is terrible at tests) everything has been easy. I must have killed a whole forest on her initial petition for residency making sure all forms were perfect and kept ALL records of our life together back then.

Any ideas. She is really feeling down about this.

Thanks

Your first instinct is right, an attorney can go in with her but it will not help her …as hearing will be conversational style and she will face faster and more complex questions.

Tell her All Is Well, and have her do a new online N-400 all by herself. Worth every penny , will  boost her confidence . 
‘And tell her, I think they did her wrong …should have passed! 

In addition to the good advice already provided, your local library or community center might have English Talk Time, or a similar program, where she could practice her skills.  In my town, they also do mock citizenship interviews.  

I am sure she will appreciate your support.  Best of luck to you two!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

There's nothing a lawyer is going to do. She has to pass the test. A lawyer won't help her skip it

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I agree with the others, work more on her English skills, many community colleges have very reasonably priced ESL classes (my wife used those), and then file a new N400.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Your wife needs to practice answer the questions on the N400. Many applicants with limited skills believe they only have to know 6/10 questions and then it’s a done deal. But, applicants with limited English ability often get tripped up by the “unpracticed” questions. Have her sign up for citizenship classes (like others have suggested) or listen to example questions on YouTube.

Then also have her practice giving out her phone number… I think this is the second account this year I’ve heard of someone not passing their citizenship test because they didn’t know their phone number… 

ETA: Also Work on follow up questions with her… I think that’s where many people get tripped up. Going through the form is a de facto English test but you still need to be able to answer the questions accurately 

Edited by Redro

I second what everybody else has said - language skills are key, and it looks like once she masters that, there’s nothing that stands in her way in terms of becoming a citizen. My first career was as a language instructor, and whether you do an intensive program or just a night or two a week, classes and especially conversation practice helps and usually faster than people would think. Based on your profile, you’re in the Baltimore MD area, which should even have some free stuff. I would recommend small classes, preferably with other immigrants of different native languages. Also, improving her English skills doesn’t have to be uniquely geared toward the English portion of her N400 as once her skills are at an adequate level, the N400 part will be quite easy. As a plus, she will be a lot more comfortable when she is in situations where there are no other people with her language background. 

Best of luck, and contact me if you want me to leverage my network to find something around the Baltimore area. 

Edited by CMJuilland

ROC: 

12/30/2019 package sent to Texas Lockbox via USPS 

12/31/2019 package arrived at Texas Lockbox 

01/02/2020 package signed for

01/04/2020 $680 charged on credit card

01/06/2020 text message and email with case number received

01/09/2020 extension letter received; notice date: 01/03/2020

02/22/2020 biometrics appointment letter received 

03/06/2020 biometrics appointment 

08/09/2021 I-751 approved

08/16/2021 Green Card received

Naturalization:

12/29/2020 application filed online and receipt number received 

01/04/2021 hard copy NOA1 received 

02/27/2021 electronic biometric reuse letter received

09/19/2021 interview scheduled - electronic notice received 

09/27/2021 hard copy interview notice received (issue date: 09/21/2021)

10/27/2021 interview (10.40am), approved

11/06/2021 oath ceremony (7.30am) 

I AM A U.S. CITIZEN!!!!! 

Passport:

11/08/2021 appointment at USPS (2.00pm)

11/16/2021 money order cashed, passport “in process” (locator 69)

12/02/2021 approved and shipped

12/04/2021 passport book delivered

12/13/2021 passport card and NC delivered 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

New N-400 is the way to go. While waiting, practice more with communication and understand English. The N400 is not just answer civic questions then pass.

Do an English class. By answering to Vote twice showed that she didnt understand the question. Answer should have been to choose the leaders or something. Her answer sounded rehearsed. Refile N400, and use the wait time to coach her. My wife has been here 24 years and still needs coaching from time to time. No Shame, I couldnt take a class in spanish or Tagalog and pass.

Filed: Other Country: Colombia
Timeline

My wife is also from Colombia....Barranquilla to be exact. 

CMJulland stated their opinion beautifully. 

I enrolled my wife in ESL classes close to our home, which were free, and If memory serves me correctly she went a few days a week.  She became so proficient over time that they offered her a job, which she accepted.

In my own personal experience.....It was a little of a battle of the wills for a few years to get my wife to speak and practice her english with her other latin friends who also could speak english.   It seemed it was very easy to get a little lazy and too comfortable in reverting back to speaking spanish for her.  I explained over and over to her that english is a necessity to being able to function normally in the US.  I explained that it's not enough to speak a little english that the hard part probably is understanding when a US citizen is speaking to her due to the different speeds people talk, the various southern accents and southern draws (We live in Southern Indiana across the river from Louisville KY) and due to the sad fact that many Americans are discriminatory and racist.  I told her that many of us do not like to take the time to make sure a foreigner understands us so we are not too accommodating in that regard sometimes.   The ESL job was a blessing as she could work as well as continue to practice her english.  If I recall.....It was maybe 3 years before she got a job outside of the ESL campus.   By then she could understand enough to be good at her job.  

We got a fiance visa and she came to the US in 2006 and she took her citizenship test 4 years later in 2010.  By then it wasn't an issue with her understanding most, if not all, of what someone was saying if they didn't use too much slang. 

Fortunately there is no rush on taking her test.  The longer she waits and practices english, the more confidence she'll definitely have and passing the test will be extremely easy.  

My wife never met a stranger, so feel free to reach out if she'd like to speak to my wife and get a first hand account.  

Good luck to you both.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

My husband moved from the UK to Italy for work at one point in his career.  He had no choice but to learn Italian at the time because there was very limited English in Milan.  He had sticky notes taped to everything with what the Italian word was and he hired a language coach who would spend a couple of hours 2x a week conversing with him so he could understand and learn the pronunciation and cadence of the language.  He will tell you that's the only reason he was able to survive there for 3 years!  

English isn't an easy language and as has been pointed out, there are a large number of colloquialisms and unusual rules that don't really make sense.  Half the time I don't understand my kids and have to follow up with a "#######" so they explain the new slang they are using.  It would likely be 100% beneficial for her to take ESL classes and maybe get a conversation coach just so she learns how to speak and understand, like my hubs did.  Absolutely no shame in it.  Then, she'll rock the N-400.  

Good luck!  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

59 minutes ago, killadocg23 said:

Do they always ask why I want to become a citizen? I mean to Vote would be a reasonable answer? what else can be said for this answer? My interview is tomorrow so i don't need any surprises.

And why do you want to vote?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.