Kawika & Michelle

Step Kids Not Accepting Step Mom

58 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Fe.Ta said:

While I am sure there are plenty of exceptions, good intentions, legit couples that were not sought intentionally based on race/culture, etc., I second this statement for multiple cultures across VJ.  Sadly, it just makes the journey a bit more complicated because you have (1) seeking an international love story, (2) falling for an idea of how the person would/should be, (3) false expectations, and THEN (4) immigration.

Yes!  Excellent summary.  I am a big proponent of spending as much time as possible "dating" long distance (as expensive and heartbreaking as that can be).....because the stakes are so high (marriage).  Most of us would never marry someone we met locally after spending minimal time together, why should it be any different with long distance relationships?  

2 minutes ago, SalishSea said:

Yes!  Excellent summary.  I am a big proponent of spending as much time as possible "dating" long distance (as expensive and heartbreaking as that can be).....because the stakes are so high (marriage).  Most of us would never marry someone we met locally after spending minimal time together, why should it be any different with long distance relationships?  

I am sure all sides (short dating versus long dating AND in-person versus long distance) have their points, which I get.  Also, some do not have the means to travel as much, but it does not mean you can't develop the relationship all the same.  One thing I have always noticed about long-distance relationships is that it naturally allows for the quality to develop because you have no choice (you can't just pick each other up and go do something and not talk).  Whether in person or long distance, my stand has always been quality over quantity.  I have seen both in-person and long-distance relationships that were "shorter" that were successful and lasted versus some there were together for years and divorced and the common factor was that those that were together longer had the time but didn't have the work (i.e. quality of relationship).  Of course, there are exceptions to all of this. But, it is just something I have always thought about.

Walt Disney Animation GIF

November 2010 - Met/Just Friends

June 2017 - I caught feelings, you want to try this?  Yes.
June 2018 - Do you want to get married?  Yes.
November 2018 - K1 filed

May 2019 - K1 interview scheduled and packet sent to embassy

June 2019 - K1 interview, approved, and moved to USA

August 2019 - Married

September 2019 - AOS/EAD/AP filed

October 2019 - Biometrics Appointment

January 2020 - AOS RFE for birth certificate received and sent back

February 2020 - EAD/AP approved and got the card

October 2020 - EAD/AP renewal filed

November 2020 - EAD/AP renewal approved and got the card - AOS interview date issued

December 2020 - AOS interview, approved, and GC received

September 2022 - ROC filed

36 minutes ago, Lemonslice said:

Imagine marrying someone you don't even get along with after spending this minimal time together.  Why?

Right.  I would not, but I'm old, and I often assume those that do are young and do not know better.

My husband and I were friends (and frenemies, occasionally) for years before we got together and even then we were super careful in how we progressed our relationship once we decided to give it a chance. This year will be 18 years I've known him, nearly half my life, and I am still learning so much about who he is, and the life experiences that made him the person I love. Our long-term friendship is the bedrock of our marriage. 

I fully understand that people can have very successful marriages after knowing each other only a very short time, but for me it is a no. There are too many chances to find out big things you don't like and can't live with after it's too late. Marriage is a high-stakes proposition, and I am naturally a pretty risk-averse person. 

5 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Yet they have means to provide financial support to a spouse living in the U.S.?

IME, that math don’t add up. 

Keywords being "travel as much".

When I originally petitioned for my now husband I used to work for a non-profit.  They are notorious for not paying enough, yet I was blessed to make more than enough to support him when he arrived AND both of my parents.  However, the travels we made during our relationship were yearly.  They were not 2-3 times per year.  Especially because if we were considering the K1, I knew he wouldn't be able to work for a while, so our priority was to make sure we had enough money to cover that versus seeing each other that many times per year.

Now, granted, just like @laylalex we had been friends for a decade before we even started a relationship, so we knew we didn't need to do it as many times per year.  Thus, our priorities might have been different than if we had started dating without being friends.

My post was only to point out that there all multiple sides and ways of doing things to all of this.

Walt Disney Animation GIF

November 2010 - Met/Just Friends

June 2017 - I caught feelings, you want to try this?  Yes.
June 2018 - Do you want to get married?  Yes.
November 2018 - K1 filed

May 2019 - K1 interview scheduled and packet sent to embassy

June 2019 - K1 interview, approved, and moved to USA

August 2019 - Married

September 2019 - AOS/EAD/AP filed

October 2019 - Biometrics Appointment

January 2020 - AOS RFE for birth certificate received and sent back

February 2020 - EAD/AP approved and got the card

October 2020 - EAD/AP renewal filed

November 2020 - EAD/AP renewal approved and got the card - AOS interview date issued

December 2020 - AOS interview, approved, and GC received

September 2022 - ROC filed

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.