Wilsanjo

Need Help Getting US Child to the USA

64 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Timona said:

Wait? Someone carried samples for you from Ghana??? I have never heard this. 

Not sure who amongst our VJ members is in the medical field to chime in here. So, we will wait. 

Yes a Ghana Lab sends samples to a US Lab , so unless OP has another child , I trust the US Lab. 
Than you OP for indulging a bit of light spirit to your serious questions.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Wilsanjo said:

This was done by me personally. Not the US Embassy. At this point, the child already had her passport. Just wanted to make sure the child was mine. I used DNA direct solution and someone collected the child’s sample. 

Man, I'm sorry. But I don't trust this. You either do it and verify yourself, or a very trusted person gets that DNA done and results sent to you. Anyway, better be sure than cry later. Wishing you all the best. ☘

5 minutes ago, Family said:

Yes a Ghana Lab sends samples to a US Lab , so unless OP has another child , I trust the US Lab. 
Than you OP for indulging a bit of light spirit to your serious questions.

He said he did it himself. 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

important is what immigration says for the DNA for him to have gotten the US passport for the CBRA 

he must have followed the rules or US embassy would not have approved

so, he has a child / for that i say congratulations 

and hopefully u can travel occasionally to Ghana to visit him

the embassy sees many fake documents / but the DNA test from USA  goes straight from US to embassy as following indicated 

DNA sample collection at a U.S. embassy or consulate will only be conducted for pending U.S. passport, CRBA, or immigrant visa cases. For samples to be collected overseas outside an AABB-accredited lab, the lab must send the DNA test kit directly to the applicable U.S. embassy or consulate.  Parents, or other relatives being tested, must not directly receive test kits for themselves or their children.  Once the U.S. embassy or consulate receives a DNA kit from an accredited laboratory, they will schedule an appointment for DNA sample collection by an authorized panel physician or designee.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/travel-legal-considerations/us-citizenship/US-Citizenship-DNA-Testing.html#:~:text=DNA sample collectio

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
59 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

For a U.S. citizen child to petition for a parent, the child must be at least 21 years of age.

plus live in the US

Yes I am aware.  It seemed the OP was under some sort of impression that being the foreign parent of a USC allowed for some sort of special visa.  The only option for the mother at this time is a B2, but it appears the mother implied some sort of marriage for a denied DV, so I would assume a B2 is less than a long-shot.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

1 minute ago, JeanneAdil said:

important is what immigration says for the DNA for him to have gotten the US passport for the CBRA 

he must have followed the rules or US embassy would not have approved

so, he has a child / for that i say congratulations 

and hopefully u can travel occasionally to Ghana to visit him

the embassy sees many fake documents / but the DNA test from USA  goes straight from US to embassy as following indicated 

DNA sample collection at a U.S. embassy or consulate will only be conducted for pending U.S. passport, CRBA, or immigrant visa cases. For samples to be collected overseas outside an AABB-accredited lab, the lab must send the DNA test kit directly to the applicable U.S. embassy or consulate.  Parents, or other relatives being tested, must not directly receive test kits for themselves or their children.  Once the U.S. embassy or consulate receives a DNA kit from an accredited laboratory, they will schedule an appointment for DNA sample collection by an authorized panel physician or designee.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/travel-legal-considerations/us-citizenship/US-Citizenship-DNA-Testing.html#:~:text=DNA sample collectio

No! The embassy asked if I wanted a DNA, I said no because I trusted the person. It was after the passport was issued before I realized that she was cheating behind my back. That’s when I used DNA Direct Solution and my friend who’s a doctor to collect the child’s sample and sent to me. My sample wasn’t  collected in Ghana. It was collected in the USA. Is there a possibility that different sample could’ve been sent to match mine. I doubt it! 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Op, at this point you'll have to work it out with your child's mother to get her permission for child to travel. Or go fight for sole custody which I doubt you will win. The child even though now holds a US passport is also still a Ghanaian too and the mother can choose to let the child stay in Ghana until they are an adult.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
3 hours ago, Wilsanjo said:

No! The embassy asked if I wanted a DNA, I said no because I trusted the person. It was after the passport was issued before I realized that she was cheating behind my back. That’s when I used DNA Direct Solution and my friend who’s a doctor to collect the child’s sample and sent to me. My sample wasn’t  collected in Ghana. It was collected in the USA. Is there a possibility that different sample could’ve been sent to match mine. I doubt it! 

and the embassy was ok with this???

3 hours ago, Timona said:

Wait? Someone carried samples for you from Ghana??? I have never heard this. 

Not sure who amongst our VJ members is in the medical field to chime in here. So, we will wait. 

When I did my sons CBRA in the Philippines, I had waited until he was 5 years old or so as I was living and working there and there was no need to do the CBRA right away.  During the CBRA interview, they asked for pictures of the ultrasound.  We did not have those as they were back in the province, a several hour flight away.  That was our fault for waiting too long. :)  So in its place, the Embassy asked us to do a 3-way DNA test.  The Embassy has a list of providers in the US.  The provider will then mail the DNA kit to the appropriate  overseas location and someone at the Embassy will conduct the swab.  If the USC is in the US, one kit will be mailed to a testing center close to the USC and the other kit will go to the overseas parent and child.  The tests are then mailed back to the US for lab testing.  Its a very secure way and its not possible to make it fraudulent.  

I had a great experience with the company I used and have recommended them to quite a few VJ'ers who have also had great experiences. 

Edited by flicks1998

The United States is now a country obsessed with the worship of its own ignorance.  Americans are proud of not knowing things.  They have reached a point where ignorance, is an actual virtue.  To reject the advice of experts is to assert autonomy, a way for Americans to insulate their increasingly fragile egos from ever being told they're wrong about anything.  It is a new Declaration of Independence: no longer do we hold these truths to be self-evident, we hold all truths to be self-evident, even the ones that arent true.  All things are knowable and every opinion on any subject is as good as any other.  The fundamental knowledge of the average American is now so low that it has crashed through the floor of "uninformed", passed "misinformed", on the way down, and now plummeting to "aggressively wrong."

7 hours ago, Wilsanjo said:

Really?? That is amazing.   I have never heard of the embassy "asking" if someone "wants" a DNA test.....

Normally if they suspect fraud, they will go in that direction.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline
19 hours ago, Wilsanjo said:

Hello Guys,

I had child abroad with a foreign citizen and did the Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) and also applied for the child’s US Passport. The passport was printed by the US embassy in the foreign citizen home country and was picked up by child’s mother when it was ready.

I was thinking on immigrating both the child and mother to USA. However, upon my visit few months ago, I realized she was chatting with dudes and cheating behind by back. Because of this sad situation, I don’t trust her anymore and only want to get my child out of her country because of the lack of opportunities for my child. 

she is adamant and wouldn’t allow me to fly the child to the USA. Is there help out there that could help me getting the child from her? Moreover, financially, she can’t afford to take care of the child. All responsibilities for my child and her families have been on shoulder until I knew she’s cheating behind my back. I’ve decided to cut all support to family and only take care of my child at point. 

please help if you know of anyway I could get my child fit the USA. 

I guess it depends on where you’re flying from because my friend never needed permission . But then again the mom never refused . But at the airport , they just let him through . Did not ask question about permission from mother. 

33 minutes ago, DeezNuts said:

So because of this thread which I read at 5am local time this morning, it prompted me to call the CBP this morning for clarification.

We're currently overseas and my wife has to travel home today with one minor (unexpected return) and my second minor is traveling home with me later this month. The officer told me that a permission letter from the other spouse was not required but highly recommended for the country of departure and the possible requirement at the US border.

We decided to visit a local notary and have two permission letters signed and notarized. Thanks to this thread. (different but same)

She also sent me an email

Thank you for contacting the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Information Center.

CBP strongly recommends that children carry a letter authorizing international travel when traveling alone or with one of the following adults:

• Other parent
• Adult sibling
• Single parent
• Adult relative
• Legal guardian
• Non-relative adult

The letter must state the following:

• Child’s name and birth date
• Name(s) of legal custody adult(s) (Parents, legal guardians, etc.)
• Contact information of legal custody adult(s)
• Name of adult(s) accompanying the child and their relation (Aunt/Uncle, Grandparent, teacher, chaperone, etc.)
• Purpose of travel (Visiting relatives, vacation, school trip, special competition, etc.)
• Dates of travel
• Places of travel (Countries where visiting, cities, etc.)

There is no regulation that requires the authorization letter to be notarized. However, CBP highly advises this, because notarization is proof that the Notary has identified the person(s) signing the letter as being the actual parent(s) or legal guardian(s).

CBP recommends that single parents also provide documentary proof that there is no other parent of the child (only one parent stated on birth certificate, single adoption, parent death, sole custody, etc.).

If you have not yet viewed our FAQs regarding children on travel, you are encouraged to view them using the following link https://help.cbp.gov/s/global-search/children.

Thank you again for contacting our office.

Regards,

CBP Information Center

NOTE: The answers provided in this forum are for general information purposes only. Utilizing this forum does not constitute reasonable care under the Informed Compliance guidelines.

The CBP Information Center is open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. until 5:00 p.m., Eastern Time. We are closed on U.S. federal holidays. Our toll-free line within the United States is (877) 227-5511. International callers can reach us during our hours of operation by dialing 00+1+202-325-8000.

Yup.   My ex and I always had current, notarized travel permission letters for when we travelled with the kids.   Canada, in particular, was very diligent about checking these letters.

42 minutes ago, DeezNuts said:

So because of this thread which I read at 5am local time this morning, it prompted me to call the CBP this morning for clarification.

We're currently overseas and my wife has to travel home today with one minor (unexpected return) and my second minor is traveling home with me later this month. The officer told me that a permission letter from the other spouse was not required but highly recommended for the country of departure and the possible requirement at the US border.

We decided to visit a local notary and have two permission letters signed and notarized. Thanks to this thread. (different but same)

She also sent me an email

Thank you for contacting the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Information Center.

CBP strongly recommends that children carry a letter authorizing international travel when traveling alone or with one of the following adults:

• Other parent
• Adult sibling
• Single parent
• Adult relative
• Legal guardian
• Non-relative adult

The letter must state the following:

• Child’s name and birth date
• Name(s) of legal custody adult(s) (Parents, legal guardians, etc.)
• Contact information of legal custody adult(s)
• Name of adult(s) accompanying the child and their relation (Aunt/Uncle, Grandparent, teacher, chaperone, etc.)
• Purpose of travel (Visiting relatives, vacation, school trip, special competition, etc.)
• Dates of travel
• Places of travel (Countries where visiting, cities, etc.)

There is no regulation that requires the authorization letter to be notarized. However, CBP highly advises this, because notarization is proof that the Notary has identified the person(s) signing the letter as being the actual parent(s) or legal guardian(s).

CBP recommends that single parents also provide documentary proof that there is no other parent of the child (only one parent stated on birth certificate, single adoption, parent death, sole custody, etc.).

If you have not yet viewed our FAQs regarding children on travel, you are encouraged to view them using the following link https://help.cbp.gov/s/global-search/children.

Thank you again for contacting our office.

Regards,

CBP Information Center

NOTE: The answers provided in this forum are for general information purposes only. Utilizing this forum does not constitute reasonable care under the Informed Compliance guidelines.

The CBP Information Center is open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. until 5:00 p.m., Eastern Time. We are closed on U.S. federal holidays. Our toll-free line within the United States is (877) 227-5511. International callers can reach us during our hours of operation by dialing 00+1+202-325-8000.

We do this all the time when only one parent travels with child(ren). It's usually not the US asking for the letter but countries we travel to or through. Never been a problem for us but of course if we don't do it that one time someone will pull us over and ask for the letter.  I actually did two different letters for my mom (permission and medical) while our child is staying with them over the summer. Just in case...

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.