25 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Hi all. I have received a letter from our local field office requesting we attend for a "stokes interview" for the I-485. When I look online it suggests this is normally a second interview. This is the first time we have been contacted by our local field office for anything to do with AOS. Is this normal? It says on the letter, reason for appointment: Stokes interview, both petitioner and beneficiary must be present.

TIA

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

That is odd a very rare situation when they have serious doubts

Do you have a lawyer?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

4 minutes ago, joy717 said:

Hi all. I have received a letter from our local field office requesting we attend for a "stokes interview" for the I-485. When I look online it suggests this is normally a second interview. This is the first time we have been contacted by our local field office for anything to do with AOS. Is this normal? It says on the letter, reason for appointment: Stokes interview, both petitioner and beneficiary must be present.

TIA

Any red flags in your case? 

If not.. it could be officer training. 

They've selected your case to help a new officer practice/learn how to conduct a Stokes interview. 

Timeline

We do not have a lawyer. We were in one of the k1 suits though as we did our k1 during the travel ban.

We are both early 30s, met in Ireland when my husband was studying there (I am an Irish citizen). We lived together in Ireland and had a 1 bed apartment which we gave evidence of. He then graduated and got a competitive job in the US and we submitted a k1 in 2020. It is a first marriage for both of us and no kids or any criminal background or anything that could be considered strange in my opinion that would make our marriage seem fraudulent to anyone.

just wanted to share my experience. im in removal proceeding ( case still open), its really long story if you look on my previous post u will understand 

we filed i-485 in february 2022 and 2 days ago i just got the interview letter for next month, and on the top of the letter it said " initial interview" but im prepared to be grill regarding on our relationship ( stokes interview's style) im surprise for k1 to get stokes interview on their initial interview 

ur case definitely straight forward case, shouldnt be worried too much, just be prepared and reread all documents that you've been submitted. good luck !

Edited by Misscloud

We Had a "Stokes" interview too. Just have your evidence well organized, remind each other of as much info as you can of each other and relax. If your true you'll be all set. My wife was a 24 year overstay so I expected scrutiny but was never warned of the stokes. Probably good we didn't know.

Timeline

The only reason I can think of this being requested is that I requested an expedite for my EAD on the 23rd which was approved on the 24th and this letter was sent the same day?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
25 minutes ago, joy717 said:

The only reason I can think of this being requested is that I requested an expedite for my EAD on the 23rd which was approved on the 24th and this letter was sent the same day?

Why would that trigger a Stokes?  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Sounds more like either a clerical error or a training situation. Where are you from?

any previous marriages on either of you?

Any previous visa applications?

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

1 hour ago, joy717 said:

What did you send in for evidence with the 485. If it was weak that might trigger more scrutiny.

3 minutes ago, Bob in Boston said:

What did you send in for evidence with the 485. If it was weak that might trigger more scrutiny.

The only required evidence to submit with I485 for K1s is the MC as not many documents can be obtained within 90 days. 

Other evidences can be submitted at the interview if asked but usually they don't. 

Marriage evidence is submitted later with I751.

Timeline

Just updating the topic. I sent a local immigration attorney an email about this and he already responded saying he's seen a few people being sent letters like this recently and then the interview was a normal interview so it may be an error. So I guess I'll try calling USCIS on Tuesday and then go from there.

9 minutes ago, joy717 said:

So I guess I'll try calling USCIS on Tuesday

USCIS is the last place I would call for advice. It’s called the Misinformation line here for a reason.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

I am 100% convinced it’s an error. Usually they don’t even use the term Stokes Interview officially. There’s absolutely no reason based on your profile for a Stokes interview. Prepare as if you’re going for one, however I am certain it’s an error. 

Best!

Just another random guy from the internet with an opinion, although usually backed by data!

ᴀ ᴄɪᴛɪᴢᴇɴ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.