ohcharles

What should I say for my wife's intended duration of stay for a tourist visa?

40 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

I would like for my wife to apply for a Tourist visa while we wait for our i-130 form gets processed. She is from Pakistan. I would like her to stay as long as possible. She's unemployed but is a recent graduate. She doesn't own any property in Pakistan(where she's from). I have a good job and would provide for her while she's here. I would like her to stay the maximum amount of time. I am worried about the CBP officer and them denying her entry because of the length of time I'd request to stay. We are fine with her leaving when the VISA is up, but I'd like to maximize time staying with her while we wait for the i-130. Should I just do 6 months or is that even a stretch?

Edited by ohcharles

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to Tourist Visas, from Bringing Family of UCS. - The question is about visiting.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

The US Embassy is unlikely to grant her a visitor visa.  They will not believe that she is going on vacation.  They will view this as her attempting to come live with you for 6 months.  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

No

3 minutes ago, ohcharles said:

I am pretty sure I can prepare the application for her. She just needs to sign it. It's a simple question. Is there a number of months that'll automatically disqualify her for a B2 Visa?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

18 minutes ago, ohcharles said:

I am pretty sure I can prepare the application for her. She just needs to sign it. It's a simple question. Is there a number of months that'll automatically disqualify her for a B2 Visa?

No, but keep in mind that there's no way to know for sure how long she will be allowed to stay until she gets to CBP at the airport. They decide whether or not to let her in and how long to let her stay. Sounds unlikely she'll get the visa, tbh.

1 hour ago, ohcharles said:

I am worried about the CBP officer and them denying her entry because of the length of time I'd request to stay. We are fine with her leaving when the VISA is up, but I'd like to maximize time staying with her while we wait for the i-130. Should I just do 6 months or is that even a stretch?

Because your wife does not have a tourist visa yet, what CBP will ask is irrelevant at this point.  Only the consul officer's assessment will matter for the tourist visa application.  On the DS-160 application form, whatever is entered in the section for travel plans will not matter much to the CO because they know that plans can change.  So there is no recommended travel duration that improves the chance of approval.

Note also that whatever is listed in the DS-160 travel plans will have no bearing on what CBP will decide later on at the point of entry, if your wife does get a tourist visa.  If the CBP officer wants to check any document related to the traveler's intended duration of stay, they will ask to see the flight ticket.

Edited by Chancy
clarification

Look at it a different way. COs are oh so used to people saying they’ll stay for 3 weeks when they want to stay for months. And they’re trained to read people. If you purposely misrepresent the intended length of stay on her application and they start asking her about it, it’s going to look like she lied to try get a visa under false pretenses. No way they’ll issue her a visa then. Be truthful.

If you ask me, the bigger issue is not how long you list the visit for (as another pointed out above this can always change), it’s the fact that she (1) has a husband in the US and (2) obviously does not have any big ties to Pakistan (if she can be out the country for 6 months). 1 + 2 very likely = no visa regardless the length of time you put.

1 minute ago, Chancy said:

Because your wife does not have a tourist visa yet, what CBP will ask is irrelevant at this point.  Only the consul officer's assessment will matter for the tourist visa application.  On the DS-160 application form, whatever is entered in the section for travel plans will not matter much to the CO because they know that plans can change.  So there is no recommended travel duration that improves the chance of approval.

Note also that whatever is listed in the DS-160 travel plans section will have no bearing on what CBP will decide at POE if your wife does get a tourist visa.  If the CBP officer wants to check any document related to the traveler's intended duration of stay, they will ask to see the flight ticket.

Great. Thank you very much for your detailed answer.

Thank you for that note about the travel plans.

So The CBP will make the call at POE. I see on a lot of websites that we should provide evidence that she won't stay here past her visa. We would love for her to stay here forever of course, but we aren't going to break the law. We want everything to go smoothly with the i-130. But it would be nice to know what we could do to prevent her from being denied. I've read that it's good to show her social life being tied to her home country. Would her not being employed or owning property be a confounding factor in her denial by the CBP? She just graduated a few months ago. But she doesn't plan to get a job. She has considered doing her masters in Pakistan to take time. But Her entire social life is in Pakistan. She has never left the country, and all of her friends and family live there. I imagine that would help her case. I guess what I am asking is what we could prepare to help solidify her case to get pass CBP.

Just now, SusieQQQ said:

Look at it a different way. COs are oh so used to people saying they’ll stay for 3 weeks when they want to stay for months. And they’re trained to read people. If you purposely misrepresent the intended length of stay on her application and they start asking her about it, it’s going to look like she lied to try get a visa under false pretenses. No way they’ll issue her a visa then. Be truthful.

If you ask me, the bigger issue is not how long you list the visit for (as another pointed out above this can always change), it’s the fact that she (1) has a husband in the US and (2) obviously does not have any big ties to Pakistan (if she can be out the country for 6 months). 1 + 2 very likely = no visa regardless the length of time you put.

Yeah that is a good point you bring up about 2. I mean she will be homesick of course, but yeah she has no legal or financial ties to the country. It is her home, but she also really wants to be with me. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

You're in a process to make her permanently move away from her social life. How should it help on her tourist visa application that all her family and friends are there and that's the reason why she'll come back after her allowed tourist stay is up if she's already showing intent to leave them behind for good? 

She has all the red flags even if y'all want to do it right. The least would be to be already enrolled in the master program you're talking about. 

8 minutes ago, Letspaintcookies said:

You're in a process to make her permanently move away from her social life. How should it help on her tourist visa application that all her family and friends are there and that's the reason why she'll come back after her allowed tourist stay is up if she's already showing intent to leave them behind for good? 

She has all the red flags even if y'all want to do it right. The least would be to be already enrolled in the master program you're talking about. 

What do you mean do it right? How else would I want to do it? I am not intending to skirt around anything. I just want to be with my wife. Like I am sure a lot of people who are going through this process. If the tourist visa isn't the right way to go about it, I'll go about it in a different way.

Edited by ohcharles

2 hours ago, aaron2020 said:

The US Embassy is unlikely to grant her a visitor visa.  They will not believe that she is going on vacation.  They will view this as her attempting to come live with you for 6 months.  

What if I just have her come visit for a month at a time, go back to pakistan and come back after two months? (Flight is brutal). And just keep that going until i-130 is done?

Edited by ohcharles

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.