DelayedinSS

I have been waiting for almost 7 years for i751 approval

74 posts in this topic

I would like to share some disgraceful developments at the Baltimore Field Office. I applied for my i-485 in September 2011 based on my marriage to a USC. I received my conditional green card shortly after that. I applied for removal of Conditions (I751) in October 2014. I have not yet been approved. I went for an i-751 interview in October 2015. In October 2017, I applied for my citizenship through the n400. I have not yet received a response on my i-751 case. It has been almost 7 years. I did not receive an RFE. In January 2021, I received a notice to appear for another i-751 interview. I did not attend the interview because my husband is in another state. I requested that my interview be rescheduled. My husband is frustrated with this entire process and does not want to fly back for an interview (COVID pandemic, and has a sick relative that he is caring for). I do not know what will happen with my case. It has been almost 7 years and USCIS has not ruled on my case. What if my husband refuses to attend the next interview? Will they deny my case? I just want a resolution so that I can move on in life.

I am not divorced yet, but my husband has moved to another State. He does not want to come back because he fears contracting the virus. Who do I get to file the writ of Mandamus? Is this something that I can file myself without lawyers? I have not had a lawyer on my case.

I think my case has been delayed because there is an age gap between my husband and myself (16 years). My husband is also of a different ethnicity. It is the 2nd marriage for my husband, the first for me. 

I did not attend the interview because the notice said to attend with your citizen spouse. We were also worried that this would be a Stokes interview. I did not want any complications and wanted to be prepared. He now may not even attend. Will they deny my case? I would rather it be denied than wait for another 7 years. I am writing to say that removal of conditions can take many years, even if you submit your application.

we might get divorced but I am worried that it will delay my case even further. My husband is understanding and wants this issue resolved for me, even though he lives in another state. When I get another interview date, I will attend by myself. However, I am worried that they intend to deny my application regardless. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

@DelayedinSS   you could have gone and asked the IO to switch to divorce waiver. 

Since you filed I-751 "as married"  at the time of filing, he will have to attend the interview. However, as you said, he does not want to. Therefore, that I-751 is going to be rightly denied at the end. To solve this and to also not lose your intilal filing fee, you will have to divorce and then present divorce cert at your next interview. That should solve the I-751 issue. Depending on when you filed your N400, you may or may not have to do it a fresh. That I am not sure

Edited by Timona

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Does anyone know if they will allow a Zoom call with my husband? He does not want to travel back because of the pandemic. Our marriage is legitimate and we have been together for almost 10 years. He moved to NM to take care of his Mother (she is dying of cancer), and I could not go because of my current employment. We are considering divorce because he says this move is final. I want to know why it is taking so long to process my case. I applied for removal of conditions in October 2014. If shortly after that, we were called for interviews, we could have easily attended. However, it is over 6 years later that USCIS is calling us in for an interview. My husband has since moved. It is not fair to penalize me for my husbands reluctance to attend the interview after so much time has passed.

I do not want to pay lawyers hence why I am in this forum. Alot of immigration attorneys are fraudsters that prey on the misinformed and vulnerable. I am in my current immigration situation because my family accepted bad advice from an immigration attorney many years ago. 

Edited by DelayedinSS

I am trying to give as many facts as possible. I have called USCIS to many times to inquire about the status of my case. I have set up several InfoPass appointments as well. I  always get the same response, that is is "pending. No further information can be provided." I guess I will contact the lawyer. I just hope it is worth it.  I hope they can help me sort out my case. I can't believe it has been 6.5 years, but here I am. I have received no action on my case for many years. Do not file in the Baltimore field Office, if you can avoid it. I think my case file was delayed based on the AO. Yuck! Is it true that most i751s are approved? I am reading conflicting online. I will try to get my husband to attend the next interview. We have tax returns to prove that our marriage is legitimate. We do not have children. We have not purchased property. We have some shared joint bills (joint bank account, car insurance, phone). I hope this is enough for this new interview. I might go to the interview and be put in deferred status again. I would like to know the record for a pending i751. For me, it could close to 14 years. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.