shirtlee

My wife's sister wants to come here from Philippines

43 posts in this topic

My wife is now a naturalized US citizen. I will be sponsoring my step daughter, so my wife is seeking to sponsor her younger sister.  Her sister is a computer graphics architect university graduate who can hand-draw anything. She is 25, no kids.  She will be a nanny and housekeeper for us. Can I get some advice, please, about how long this will take and what category she falls under, etc? thanks.

Edited by shirtlee

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

F4

People getting near the front have been waiting 19 years and there are many more in the line now.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
57 minutes ago, shirtlee said:

thanks, folks. So what are our other options? Can an employer want her? can she get a student visa?

Certainly Employment is a possibility, study well obviously not cheap and temporary however many do useit as a way to get Employment.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

thanks again. Can you tell me how we do the college thing?  I know that even illegals can get pell grants and college loans. I also know that the N Guard will take her as an ROTC candidate, and make her a US citizen witihin 6 months, after her BASIC and AIT. is over with. cause we checked on all that for my wife.

Timeline

To join the Armed Forces she would need to be a Permanent Resident at least. So first step first.

She would do the college thing, well I am sort of assuming you may be helping with the finances. Student Visa Is a F1. Pretty sure every University has an International Admissions Office.

17 minutes ago, shirtlee said:

thanks again. Can you tell me how we do the college thing?  I know that even illegals can get pell grants and college loans. I also know that the N Guard will take her as an ROTC candidate, and make her a US citizen witihin 6 months, after her BASIC and AIT. is over with. cause we checked on all that for my wife.

As an international student she will have to show she is able to meet the full cost of college apart from any university funding to get a visa. Neither Pell grants nor federal loans will be available to her, she is not a resident. You would need to take out/be guarantor for any other loans for an international.

No idea about ROTC as my understanding was military fast track to citizenship was 3 years not 6 months, and you had to first have a green card anyway.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Looking up ROTC they state you have to already be a citizen to enrol in one of those programs. (I suspect a green card holder would be ok for some though I haven’t explicitly seen this) but no not a fast track in at all for her.

She should look into the various employment options, but it will take some effort to get a sponsor, but would be well worth it if she manages it.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
1 hour ago, shirtlee said:

Can you tell me how we do the college thing?

She would need an F-1 student visa, but to get approved she needs to convince the officer at the interview that she will return to her home country after graduation, in other words, strong ties to her home country.  If you pay for everything (look into foreign student tuition rates, be ready for sticker shock), and she plans to stay with you (she cannot work as your nanny on an F-1), it would be harder for her to overcome the immigrant intent hurdle.  F-1 visas are for temporary study in the US, not for family reunification.  She can always apply for one, but she should do so on her own merits.  Of course, when she completes her program she will have to return home, or if she can find an employer in the US willing to sponsor her, she could try for an H1B visa.  Good luck!

Edited by carmel34

11 hours ago, shirtlee said:

My wife is now a naturalized US citizen. I will be sponsoring my step daughter, so my wife is seeking to sponsor her younger sister.  Her sister is a computer graphics architect university graduate who can hand-draw anything. She is 25, no kids.  She will be a nanny and housekeeper for us. Can I get some advice, please, about how long this will take and what category she falls under, etc? thanks.

Best bet would be for her to look for a US employer willing to sponsor a work visa. Student visas are not for immigration.

she is a BS in computer graphics and archetecture, Very lovely and shy. A virgin at 25, speaks, reads and writes English very well. Once she's in ROTC at the college, she'll find a guy, no problem and can then be here as a spouse. . Also, the National guard will make her a citizen after 6 months, give her money to go to college, pay for her tuition and fees, which lets her keep her 6k per year of Pell grant (or so I'm told)   she gets 10k of her 20k sign on bonus after  6 months, the rest after  3 years. The Army intelligence branchs wants people who speak tagalog, due to the massive fundamentalist Muslim presence in the Phills.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.