35 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Hello, another question. I didn't ever think our age gap would be an issue until very recently when I kept seeing people in here mention it. How bad does an age gap affect your outcome? Age gaps aren't a weird thing in either of our families so it never occurred to either of us that it may be an issue seeing as we are in a legitimate relationship. Our age gap is 20 years on the dot. My mum and Step dad have an age gap of 29 years (His actually American who moved here to Australia nearly 20 years ago) and his been my step dad nearly my entire life. My fiancee's sister, She and her other half have an age gap of 14 years. So for us personally it never seemed weird. We are about to start out interview portion of our VISA process and its dawned on me it may be an issue.

We have only met once for 2 weeks in August 2019. We had 3 separate trips planed for 2020 (Tickets bought and paid for in April that I have proof of and proof of conversations about more visits in November and also Dec/Jan) that never came to be due to COVID. We have been friends for 3 years and dating for nearly 2. We have miles of video chat/conversations/facebook posts/twitter posts/plans (visits, wedding, house buying, getting pets, etc) spanning this entire time.

Im not going to lie, I am now very worried we may be denied based on our age gap alone. If anyone else has gone through this having had a large age gap, please let me know how it all went.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
15 minutes ago, KayyWafflee said:

Hello, another question. I didn't ever think our age gap would be an issue until very recently when I kept seeing people in here mention it. How bad does an age gap affect your outcome? Age gaps aren't a weird thing in either of our families so it never occurred to either of us that it may be an issue seeing as we are in a legitimate relationship. Our age gap is 20 years on the dot. My mum and Step dad have an age gap of 29 years (His actually American who moved here to Australia nearly 20 years ago) and his been my step dad nearly my entire life. My fiancee's sister, She and her other half have an age gap of 14 years. So for us personally it never seemed weird. We are about to start out interview portion of our VISA process and its dawned on me it may be an issue.

We have only met once for 2 weeks in August 2019. We had 3 separate trips planed for 2020 (Tickets bought and paid for in April that I have proof of and proof of conversations about more visits in November and also Dec/Jan) that never came to be due to COVID. We have been friends for 3 years and dating for nearly 2. We have miles of video chat/conversations/facebook posts/twitter posts/plans (visits, wedding, house buying, getting pets, etc) spanning this entire time.

Im not going to lie, I am now very worried we may be denied based on our age gap alone. If anyone else has gone through this having had a large age gap, please let me know how it all went.

I wouldn't overly concern yourself other than understand a question may get asked.  I have a bigger age gap in my relationship.   

YMMV

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'd be interested in other's experiences here too.  My wife and I have a 26 year gap but I don't think it will be much problem for us as we've been married 12 years.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
2 hours ago, KayyWafflee said:

Im not going to lie, I am now very worried we may be denied based on our age gap alone.

For some cases and cultures, a significant age gap can be a factor......but, from what I have seen, your case doesn't fit the mold for issues.  In addition, I have never seen a case denied solely based on age gap.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

We were successful with a CR-1, 27 year age gap, so a bit different than K-1 but I also worried more than my husband did.  In the end, it was not an issue at all, at the visa interview, I was there to show support and answer questions.  We front-loaded and side-loaded tons of evidence to bolster our case, evidence of many visits to see each other (9), etc. but it's different for CR-1 as we were married and also showed financial co-mingling which you don't need for a fiancé visa.  I would think for Australia and K-1 you should be fine.  So don't over think it.  Good luck!

Edited by carmel34

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 hours ago, Skyman said:

I'd be interested in other's experiences here too.  My wife and I have a 26 year gap but I don't think it will be much problem for us as we've been married 12 years.

Adjustment of status is a much different process

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

We have 15 years age gap. Never had an issue. Never asked even once during my entire immigration journey. I’m now a citizen since Dec 2020. Don’t get stressed about it. As long as your relationship is genuine and you can provide proof, you’re good 😊

Edited by dpd

6 hours ago, Skyman said:

Not an issue....

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Serbia
Timeline
7 hours ago, KayyWafflee said:

Between me and my wife is 19 years. It wasn't a issue at all... If I didn't mention it, the officer wouldn't either. He just said to me "so what, me and my wife have age gap too" and laughed. I was scared as you are now, just relax and be honest about your relationship. 
So you will not be denied based on age gap, as long as you provide enough evidence of genuine relationship. 
Btw, we also only met once for 2 weeks. Good luck! 

I have a age gap of 17 years between me and my wife, me at 55 and her at 38 we are starting the medical today then interview march 26th for CR-1

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
9 hours ago, KayyWafflee said:

My friend, a whole president has a wife who is 25 years his senior so you are good.  Secondly, Australia is a low fraud risk country so you are most likely okay. Could have been a potential issue is beneficiary was from Pakistan or some West African embassies.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
4 minutes ago, bx624 said:

Hello all. I have a question about the age gap when it comes to the female being older. There is a sixteen age gap for me. Do they look it is the same as the male being older and the women younger? Thanks ! 

Seems it depends on the country/cultural norms.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.