Purigorotta8

K1 petition online services any good?

25 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I want to start the K1 process and get my girlfriend here to the states from Vietnam as I haven't seen her in almost a year and I don't see Vietnam opening their borders for travel anytime soon. Lawyers cost $4,000 and is too expensive, and I've considered using online services such as Rapidvisa. Yes, I've read up on the process and it's pretty straight forward, but for me it's a matter on level of comfort filling out government paperwork and minimizing delays. While Rapidvisa doesn't speed up the process, it's the comfort of having them hold your hand while submitting as they've been doing this for a while. Any opinions on their services? What kind of supporting documents should I gather and submit other than the general list, photos, video chat log, plane tickets, hotel receipts?  What's the current time frame to complete the K1 nowadays?  Thanks

We used Rapid Visa; we maybe didn't need to but like you we wanted the reassurance that our application had been done correctly and had been checked by somebody professional. We got approved without any RFEs, so I would recommend them but it really depends if you're in a position to spend the extra money or not. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

We have quite a few horror stories about members who used Rapid Visa.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Serbia
Timeline

No point of getting lawyer or any service. I mean you will have to do majority of job anyways, since you are the one that will gather all evidence and you have all information needed to fill i-129 F form. Just read carefully, answer each and every question correctly, don't leave blank spots (put N/A where needed). You have a guide posted above, go through it and you will be fine. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
5 hours ago, Angela & Brendon said:

We used Rapid Visa; we maybe didn't need to but like you we wanted the reassurance that our application had been done correctly and had been checked by somebody professional. We got approved without any RFEs, so I would recommend them but it really depends if you're in a position to spend the extra money or not. 

They aren't professionals... They are basically customer support personnel and they are not infallibile. 

Timeline

Do it yourself. There is a list of the requirements for the I-129F packet on this site. It's very straightforward and if you have any questions, there are many people who are willing to help you out. Lawyers and other services are expensive. They can and will make mistakes. They add an additional step to an already lengthy process. You are relying on them to complete and submit everything for you. 

Have you ever dealt with a lawyer before? It's a painstakingly slow process and can be very frustrating when you have to wait on someone else. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

As people are stating above, this process is very doable to do on your own. However, if you felt that way then you wouldn't be asking this question, which I understand because that's exactly how I felt as well. I personally did use an online resource and I did find it really helpful. The website was VisaTutor. I recommend to do as much of the forms on your own as possible, and follow the instruction pages more. However, I still paid for this for the reassurance and pretty much as a second-check for all my paperwork and any questions I had on those funky-worded questions that are confusing. Again, it is still very possible to do this on your own, but if you don't mind spending a little extra for piece of mind, than definitely I recommend VisaTutor. However, do not be afraid to search or ask questions on this forum. We are all here to help and there are very experienced and intelligent people who have definitely helped me on here, through my whole process with my wife more than anyone or anything else, who will gladly help you as well.  

1 hour ago, NoMansLand2020 said:

Do it yourself. There is a list of the requirements for the I-129F packet on this site. It's very straightforward and if you have any questions, there are many people who are willing to help you out. Lawyers and other services are expensive. They can and will make mistakes. They add an additional step to an already lengthy process. You are relying on them to complete and submit everything for you. 

Have you ever dealt with a lawyer before? It's a painstakingly slow process and can be very frustrating when you have to wait on someone else. 

Do you have any facts to back up the opinion? Like I said, it was helpful for us and it only took a couple of extra days, and our application was approved without an RFE. People have to do what they feel is right for them, but don't provide misleading statements like "they WILL make mistakes" as if that's something they'll do on purpose. Ours was fine, and many other people have felt the same way. If you'd like a service that will provide some extra piece of mind and isn't too expensive, file with RapidVisa. Or don't, but just don't lie about it. 

Timeline
Just now, Angela & Brendon said:

Do you have any facts to back up the opinion? Like I said, it was helpful for us and it only took a couple of extra days, and our application was approved without an RFE. People have to do what they feel is right for them, but don't provide misleading statements like "they WILL make mistakes" as if that's something they'll do on purpose. Ours was fine, and many other people have felt the same way. If you'd like a service that will provide some extra piece of mind and isn't too expensive, file with RapidVisa. Or don't, but just don't lie about it. 

My favourite Rapid Visa screw up, and there have been many, UK case, DCF available, was in a hurry Rapid Visa told him to do regular Consulate processing so an extra 10 months and refused to take any responsibility when he came on here and found out he had gone the wrong way, they did keep his money.

There is another thread at the moment, somebody else who got bad advise.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

My opinion is to read through the guides here, read the I-129 and other forms' instructions, and give it a shot on your own. If you have questions, ask here. After you give it a first shot, if you still have reservations about how well you did, go ahead and consult with an online service or a lawyer. You won't have done anything they wouldn't make you do anyway.

Oh, BTW... some lawyers are willing to charge less to just review a package for completeness instead of compiling the whole thing (they probably would not sign it as a preparer)

Edited by davidvs

Timeline
40 minutes ago, Angela & Brendon said:

LOL... Many people have also stated that lawyers and services like Rapid Visa caused nothing but problems. Thinking that they are an infallibile solution to you not being able to organize and put together a packet a middle school child could is false. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

I called several actual lawyers (not online services) ahead of filing, when I was gathering information.  What I heard is that if your case is straightforward (no criminal issues, etc.) then filing the K1 is easy.  Support was recommended once we got to the Adjustment of Status step after we are married.  One of the lawyers offered a document review service prior to filing for a much reduced rate, but I didn't end up using it.  I bought the NOLO book Fiance and Marriage Visas which has examples of all the forms and ideas for supporting evidence, and spent time on this forum.  I did it all myself, the form are really straightforward - they are time consuming but not complicated.  We just got our approval yesterday (!) 1 year and 1 month after filing, which was definitely slowed down by Covid.  You can do it!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I filled out the forms myself as it was pretty straightforward and the instructions are detailed. I had a lawyer do a document review, it was helpful in the sense they told me to include a letter of intent and use adobe for N/A. Other than that, not helpful. If I had known about visajourney before applying, I would have used the resources here

Timeline

NA is one of those things that have been changed, personally I would still use it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.