Hawk Riders

IR-1/CR-1 Montreal DQ'd private message group goes public CONTINUED

2,920 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Does anyone know if it's okay to bring two file folders into the consulate? I have an accordion folder, but I'm concerned about whether I can fit all my husband's tax returns. I was thinking of just bringing a second transparent document box for the tax returns, but not sure if I'm allowed to bring in more than one item.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Allis0n said:

Does anyone know if it's okay to bring two file folders into the consulate? I have an accordion folder, but I'm concerned about whether I can fit all my husband's tax returns. I was thinking of just bringing a second transparent document box for the tax returns, but not sure if I'm allowed to bring in more than one item.

I had two clear folders with me and it was totally fine.  I also saw a girl walk in with what looked like a gigantic file folder ... (larger than a shoebox).. she just looked uncomfortable carrying that and her jacket around.

Timeline
9 hours ago, rafale1973 said:

Did you call to get an appointment if so did they told you how long you have to wait to have an appointment? 

I finally have an appointment. I have been calling local SSN office for weeks now. Each person who answers the phone gave me a different story. It took a lot of frustration and persistence hounding them to finally get on the list for an appointment. They are booking about a week out in my area.

Anyone with any experience regarding having two different last names on passport and ID? 

At the provincial level, such as health card and driver license, banking and what not all my documents have my assumed last name (married name)

At the federal level, SSN, birth certificate and passport all my documents still contain my maiden name.    I didn't want to be bothered changing every last piece of my ID when we married, so I just assumed his last name and never thought much of it untill this process where I now have 2 last names depending on what document or ID you look at. 

Just worried this may cause some issues and confusions closer to interview time and hoping to clear my worries if any of you have some information on what to expect when last names are jumbled the way mine are. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
11 hours ago, LisaD1234 said:

Anyone with any experience regarding having two different last names on passport and ID? 

At the provincial level, such as health card and driver license, banking and what not all my documents have my assumed last name (married name)

At the federal level, SSN, birth certificate and passport all my documents still contain my maiden name.    I didn't want to be bothered changing every last piece of my ID when we married, so I just assumed his last name and never thought much of it untill this process where I now have 2 last names depending on what document or ID you look at. 

Just worried this may cause some issues and confusions closer to interview time and hoping to clear my worries if any of you have some information on what to expect when last names are jumbled the way mine are. 

I believe @rafale1973 just dealt with this.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
15 hours ago, Lovenature said:

I finally have an appointment. I have been calling local SSN office for weeks now. Each person who answers the phone gave me a different story. It took a lot of frustration and persistence hounding them to finally get on the list for an appointment. They are booking about a week out in my area.

I've been calling the SSA and the one lady doesn't believe me that Kid2's temp visa in the passport is sufficient for a SSN.  It's been frustrating.  The new GC should be here today - hopefully it has the correct status and I can just get on with it.  I think the SSA has been the worst to deal with, followed by DoS and USCIS has been the easiest! 

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Timeline

With the new travel restrictions placed on travelling to Canada, does anyone have any ideas on how to expedite their interview? I can’t believe we live in such a time where you can’t travel to see loved ones or to mourn loved ones. 

Timeline
12 minutes ago, State and Maine said:

With the new travel restrictions placed on travelling to Canada, does anyone have any ideas on how to expedite their interview? I can’t believe we live in such a time where you can’t travel to see loved ones or to mourn loved ones. 

Everyone is in the same boat as you. If you didn't have an obvious reason to expedite when you started this process I don't see how restrictions that affect everyone changes that.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
12 minutes ago, Tofu said:

Hi everyone - just an update on my case (medical wasn't ready in time for the interview):

Jan 11 - Interview; medical not yet received by consulate

Jan 21 - Issued "AP"

Jan 28 - Issued "Final Processing"

Jan 29 - Tracking details sent

Congrats!! This is so exciting, I’m glad it didn’t take too long.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, jackanddeona said:

Everyone is in the same boat as you. If you didn't have an obvious reason to expedite when you started this process I don't see how restrictions that affect everyone changes that.

And from my understanding Montreal is very hard to get an expedite from, so more restrictions affecting everyone is unlikely to be a reason to be granted an expedite.  

Timeline
3 minutes ago, jackanddeona said:

I agree, this should be good enough reason to have everyone’s interview expedited. This has been a mental toll on everyone already, the new restrictions will only add to it. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.