chikondichamayi

Immigrants with poor families back home, how much do you help out your family?

58 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Jer1234 said:

It's the same thing In the Caribbean, I would send money every month ,when I couldn't  afford to send it,they would be upset .so I just stop for like 6months.before u can help anyone ,you have to ensure your helping yourself first.even people who never reached out to before will reach out to you when your loving in America. I still send money to my mom and my sister from time to time when I can afford it..but I control what I send .in America you have to work very hard ,and it's even more difficult coming from a tropical climate to work in the snow..

For real? Getting mad for not sending money when you couldn't?Wow. I know people act as if we just get money from the side of the road. I work so hard while going to school full time and still send all the hard earned money home. And they only have to go to school. So frustrating!

3 hours ago, TBoneTX said:

A brief answer from another standpoint:  Had Mrs. T-B.'s family, or Mrs. T-B. on their behalf, ever asked me for a dime, her shapely hindquarters -- with my bootprint in them -- would have been on the very next conveyance back to Ecuador.

This is not because I begrudged her family anything, but because I preferred to select the timing and amount or form of whatever I chose to give them (of my own free will).

For perspective:  if a U.S.-born, U.S.-raised, U.S.-citizen girlfriend or wife were to ask me for (or insist that I provide) money or gifts for her family, should I put up with that?  If so, precisely why?

Lmao that first paragraph was so funny. You are straight forward and I  respect that. I don't think I would have the guts to do it though haha.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
1 minute ago, chikondichamayi said:

For real? Getting mad for not sending money when you couldn't?Wow. I know people act as if we just get money from the side of the road. I work so hard while going to school full time and still send all the hard earned money home. And they only have to go to school. So frustrating!

I send 20%back home every month 😂😂😂that's to Jamaica .if I send 90% il probably be homeless here and they would be wealthy there 😂🏝...I know il always send thou ,especially for my mom,cant bear the thought of her not having groceries,

13 hours ago, chikondichamayi said:

I have been lurking around here for a while and I am hoping the community can relate. I have been in the US since 2013, started as an F1 student from Africa on a full scholarship. I am now married , working part time and still going to school. I have a conditional Green card and I am currently removing conditions. Now the question , how much do you all help out parents, siblings, or relatives back home?

I can say 90 % of all my earnings have been going home the last 3 years or so. I bought my mum a car and pay to maintain it; I was paying for both my sister and brother's college; I pay for rent every month where my siblings live which is different from where my mom live; I have been renovating my mom's house as of late so she can move in. I am not rich, I have no savings now because all the money has gone home. I haven't bought myself new things like clothes in so long. I feel I need to do this because here I have a high standard of living, and just me being able to drive everyday and enjoy things like wi-fi is good enough .I think I want to make sure their standard of living is at least close to mine.

I also know this is taking a toll on the finances in my marriage. Although my husband is understanding, I don't wanna push it too far. I need to save for retirement and just stuff around the house. How do you all do it? Personally I feel I still don't do enough, and I am just trying to see what people in similar situations do. Maybe I can get different perspectives/ideas.

Have you thought about saving up for a few months- seeing how much you can save and then splitting that 50/50. Sending chunks of money (which could be cheaper to send) every few months. It’s tough! I also send money to my mum back home to help pay for wedding loans ect. You can only do the best you can. But it’s okay to put money aside for you and your husband. You also need to survive here. 

good luck! 

My wife works though she doesn't need to so she can help back home. She felt uncomfortable with me being the one sending the occasional "remittance." It is a part of her culture to send money home to help. Especially for their parents. Some people take advantage of this and bleed the foreign worker dry. We are lucky in that her family doesn't ask for money but what my wife does send is appreciated.

There is no easy answer to your situation because I understand the overwhelming cultural feeling that you need to help. Our culture was more like that maybe 100 years ago but now for older folks it is almost every person for themselves. You need to have a plan for when you and your spouse get older. If you wait until you are approaching retirement to start this it will be too late.

Edited by boris64

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

3 hours ago, Jer1234 said:

It's the same thing In the Caribbean, I would send money every month ,when I couldn't  afford to send it,they would be upset .so I just stop for like 6months.before u can help anyone ,you have to ensure your helping yourself first.even people who never reached out to before will reach out to you when your living in America. I still send money to my mom and my sister from time to time when I can afford it..but I control what I send .in America you have to work very hard ,and it's even more difficult coming from a tropical climate to work in the snow..

You sound like my wife)) The cold goes straight to her bones. She says to me that I should cancel winter)))

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

OP you need to open your families eyes to the truth of living in America.

It's sad and i hate to see that some of us immigrants family's back home wanted to act like they are rich to the eye of the villagers but they can't even afford it! They depend on us who live abroad because they think we are rich!

Before i even came to America i live in a poor country and in a remote village where if you have a nice house people would compliment you alot and think of you as the highest 🙄(I don't get it) . Before i come to the US i tell my parents that i will live in america to marry the man that i love and build our own family and that they should not expect me to support them for their everyday needs, I'm glad that somewhat they understand that. I sent money occasionally but not too big. I hate our villagers because they seems to be minding our family's business. They always talk about how much money i support my family every month,and they bugging my parents to tell me that i should build my parents a big and pretty house or i should buy this and that for my parents🙄 for me it's not my parents that is toxic it's the stupid neighborhood. To have a roof that won't leak everytime there's rain,an access to a water and and small tv that they can watch before bed time is enough for my simple family. It's just these stupid neighborhood. Sometimes i wish i could bomb and reborn that village lol 🤣🤣🤣 I don't even wish to see that village when i come visit my family 😂😂😂

Anyways OP a serious talk to the family is a key for them to understand your situation. Always think first of yourself and your own family here in america.

24 minutes ago, Timona said:

I cannot, even

I hope my story is hilarious.

And by the way, this is all true

Lets keep these stories going. It helps with my struggle and gives me ideas with how to deal with it. I'm afraid this is a burden we all have a share of.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
3 hours ago, boris64 said:

You sound like my wife)) The cold goes straight to her bones. She says to me that I should cancel winter)))

It's my 2nd winter in Pennsylvania 😂

31 minutes ago, kris&me said:

I think from reading your post that you are starting to resent this .  Maybe more than your husband

many countries think Americans are rich.   just plain rich and have no idea how hard we work and how expensive it is to live here

talk to your husband and decide with him how to cut down on what you do to help back home

My in laws are quite well off so i don't have an issue

but i see many who go to Good Will and send clothes every month home and to mail boxes out of the US is costly.  

and send money for everthing

cut out some of the lesser relatives and how much you send

if they get angry and stop talking to you,  they never were that close and  are just using you.  No one deserves to be used 

Exactly!! 

This is a great topic that can be helpful to a lot of people now and in the future.

We send money each month to take care of her mother.  That is our number one priority.   

We also send extra money that has a purpose.  We sent her brother to college so that, in the future, he will be the one to help his family.  We've helped in other things (jobs, houses) so that their lives are better and eventually they won't need us anymore.  

We send a lot, but we've never been taken advantage of and that's really important.  If you're helping your family then it is also important that they know you need to be able to save.  If an emergency happens, you need to have enough saved up to help them.  You can't do that if you're already sending back everything you make.

That would be my advice.  Send money to help them become independent.  Don't let anyone take advantage of your generosity.  Make sure to save for emergencies.  This will help you as well as them.