Lucas Janer

20+ year B-2 visa overstay, now married to US citizen

32 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

I have a basic understanding of Petition for Alien Relative and Adjustment of Status, etc forms and processes. I am asking as the beneficiary, having recently married a US citizen.  What will USCIS ask about my overstay of more than 20 years?  What complications will arise?  I have no criminal record or legal issues at all other than those related to immigration status.  My spouse has sufficient income required to show ability to provide support.  Other than my I94 and some visits to my consulate to keep my passport current, there may be no official documentation that I’ve been in the US for 20 years, including no banking, no tax or employment records, no lease, no driver license, etc. I’ve supported myself through sporadic part time work paid in cash and some support from my family overseas – only ever enough to get by.  At times I’ve lived with friends and previous romantic partners who didn’t charge me rent. At times I lived in sublets with people in similar status where I paid minimal rent.  I’ve known my spouse through mutual friends for many years but in the past few years became romantically involved and got married. We’re a same sex couple so for me marriage to anyone wasn’t possible until 2015. What are the risks to me and my spouse?

Strangely none provided the relationship is genuine.  Overstay is ignored for USC spouses. Even overstay of 20+ years. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
16 minutes ago, Lucas Janer said:

I have a basic understanding of Petition for Alien Relative and Adjustment of Status, etc forms and processes. I am asking as the beneficiary, having recently married a US citizen.  What will USCIS ask about my overstay of more than 20 years?  What complications will arise?  I have no criminal record or legal issues at all other than those related to immigration status.  My spouse has sufficient income required to show ability to provide support.  Other than my I94 and some visits to my consulate to keep my passport current, there may be no official documentation that I’ve been in the US for 20 years, including no banking, no tax or employment records, no lease, no driver license, etc. I’ve supported myself through sporadic part time work paid in cash and some support from my family overseas – only ever enough to get by.  At times I’ve lived with friends and previous romantic partners who didn’t charge me rent. At times I lived in sublets with people in similar status where I paid minimal rent.  I’ve known my spouse through mutual friends for many years but in the past few years became romantically involved and got married. We’re a same sex couple so for me marriage to anyone wasn’t possible until 2015. What are the risks to me and my spouse?

None really.   A few questions but that's about it 

YMMV

15 minutes ago, Lucas Janer said:

I have no criminal record or legal issues at all other than those related to immigration status.

As long as you haven't made a false claim of US citizenship you are fine: https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-7-part-b-chapter-8

Immediate Relatives

Certain adjustment bars do not apply to an immediate relative, including the spouse or child (unmarried and under 21 years old) of a U.S. citizen, and the parent of a U.S. citizen older than 21. [2] 

An adjustment applicant applying as an immediate relative may be eligible to adjust status even if: 

• The applicant is now employed or has ever been employed in the United States without authorization; 

• The applicant is not in lawful immigration status on the date he or she files the adjustment application; 

• The applicant has ever failed to continuously maintain a lawful status since entry into the United States; 

• The applicant was last admitted to Guam or the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI) as a visitor under the Guam or CNMI Visa Waiver Program and is not a Canadian citizen; 

• The applicant was last admitted to the United States as a nonimmigrant visitor without a visa under the Visa Waiver Program; or 

• The applicant has ever violated the terms of his or her nonimmigrant status.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

The only struggle I see (with all your financial transactions been done under the table) is what kind of evidence you will provide of financial commingling, cohabitation, etc. In other words: what do you have to show as evidence of relationship? 

Filed: Other Timeline
8 minutes ago, Nat&Amy said:

The only struggle I see (with all your financial transactions been done under the table) is what kind of evidence you will provide of financial commingling, cohabitation, etc. In other words: what do you have to show as evidence of relationship? 

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Our marriage is 100% real and we've begun building, quite naturally, that evidence.  Our concern is the 20+ years before marriage where I have nothing/no one to provide evidence of how I lived here for 20 years.  Most people I had contact with would not want to talk to USCIS nor would I want to or could I identify past roommates, boyfriends, "employers" (in quotes because I never had a "documented" employee/employer relationship - only under the table), etc.  Won't USCIS investigate my 20 years and ask lots of questions?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

I assume you originally entered the US legally.  Either way, you are in danger of removal until you file a proper I-485.

Edited by Lucky Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
39 minutes ago, Lucas Janer said:

Our marriage is 100% real and we've begun building, quite naturally, that evidence.  Our concern is the 20+ years before marriage where I have nothing/no one to provide evidence of how I lived here for 20 years.  Most people I had contact with would not want to talk to USCIS nor would I want to or could I identify past roommates, boyfriends, "employers" (in quotes because I never had a "documented" employee/employer relationship - only under the table), etc.  Won't USCIS investigate my 20 years and ask lots of questions?

It's not going to look good, but overstay and illegal work are forgiven for spouses of US citizens so you are not going to get a denial for that. They can ask questions, of course. And depending on the officer you get, yes, you are going to get asked a lot of questions because they will be trying to catch you lying - and lying can and will get you a denial, so always tell the truth.

1 hour ago, Lucas Janer said:

Unlikely to be a problem unless you were involved in criminal activity or you claimed to be a US citizen. 

If I remember correctly, there is a question about your work history on one or both of them forms, you should provide this even if the work was under the table - hopefully the jobs were not stuff like drug dealing or human trafficking. I am not aware of USCIS ever asking about past boyfriends or roommates unless they are somehow relevant to your marriage or your criminal history, which doesn't seem to be the case. 

Edited by Orangesapples

I find it interesting that you claim “no criminal record or legal issues” other than your illegal status but then make mention of illegal working. That is a “legal issue”. It won’t cause a problem for your AOS, unless it was criminal activity such as smuggling. But it’s still illegal to work on a B-2 visitor visa. You must declare this work on your forms. If you’ve managed 20 years without being caught, you’ve been lucky. But theoretically until the I-485 paperwork is accepted by USCIS and a receipt generated, you could be deported. Will that happen? Unlikely. But it’s possible. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
55 minutes ago, INF said:

Wow! 20 years? Are you Canadian? I’m shocked ICE didn’t come looking for you! Glad too! 

Thousands of people like OP. Tens of thousands if not millions. For all the noise ICE makes the vast majority of overstayers/undocumented are flying under the radar.

Just another random guy from the internet with an opinion, although usually backed by data!

ᴀ ᴄɪᴛɪᴢᴇɴ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline
1 hour ago, INF said:

Wow! 20 years? Are you Canadian? I’m shocked ICE didn’t come looking for you! Glad too! 

Most likely not Mexican.. 

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
1 hour ago, Luckycuds said:

Most likely not Mexican.. 

There are plenty of Mexicans and Central Americans who have flown under the radar. 

Here is an article in the NY Times about some employees at a bar in Oakland, CA. One of the employees, from Mexico, has been here since 1998. Another from Guatemala became a legal resident last year, but sounds like he was here illegally for over a decade. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/11/business/coronavirus-california-lockdown-small-business.html

And that's just 1 small bar in Oakland. I imagine that's par for the course for many in the bar/restaurant industry.

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

And most important: DO NOT LEAVE THE COUNTRY UNTIL YOUR STATUS IS LEGALIZED. Otherwise, you will trigger a hefty ban and be barred from returning for 10 years, regardless of your marriage.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.