Derek Scheyer

Planning a long visit

63 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My fiance and I are planning a trip for her to come out here for about 5 months between November and March. I was wondering if there is any tips or advice for getting through the border agents.

We purchased a one way ticket and we will buy her return ticket before March. We did it that way in case she needed to go home earlier due to the embassy working on our case or any other emergency reasons. She will take an unpaid leave of absence with her work and they are making her a letter stating that she plans to return to work.

27 minutes ago, Derek Scheyer said:

My fiance and I are planning a trip for her to come out here for about 5 months between November and March. I was wondering if there is any tips or advice for getting through the border agents.

We purchased a one way ticket and we will buy her return ticket before March. We did it that way in case she needed to go home earlier due to the embassy working on our case or any other emergency reasons. She will take an unpaid leave of absence with her work and they are making her a letter stating that she plans to return to work.

what other ties does she have? Rental agreement? Mortgage? Savings to support her trip for that long? School/uni? Itinerary to do “touristy” stuff? 

Is she from Canada? 

I really don’t think you’ll have too much of an issue, but I’d get a few more pieces of evidence, like I mentioned above. But you never know 🤷‍♀️

Our Visa Journey:

2 April 2018: Married in Santa Ana, California 💒

6 June 2019: Birth of our daughter 👶👨‍👩‍👧

14 October 2019: Sent I-130 package via AusPost 📮 

18 October 2019: NOA1 received - sent to Texas Service Centre :D

24 October 2019: USCIS processed filing fee 🤑 waiting game 🕰️

22 January 2020: Andy moved back to the USA😞 🇺🇸 - re-establish domicile & to get a job 👨‍⚕️

23 February 2020: Petition transferred from Texas Service Centre to Nebraska Service Centre 😞

15 May 2020: I-130 petition approved! 😭😍 Date changes leading up to the approval were: 1 May, 12 May, 13 May. 

16 May 2020: Received NVC email, paid all fees. Waiting for fees to process so we can upload and submit all documents

19 May 2020: Immigrant visa Fees PROCESSED; affidavit of support fee PROCESSED 

28 May 2020: Submitted VISA application, civil documents & affidavit of support documents. Patiently awaiting DQ. 

2 June 2020: Email received from NVC stating that we have been Documentary Qualified and that they will liaise with US Consulate in Sydney for Interview 🐨

27 June 2020: Expedite request submitted 🤞

7 July 2020: Expedite request APPROVED! 😃😭

15 July 2020: Email received advising of interview date and time. 
20 July 2020: Medical i: n Melbourne CBD 🏥     
28 July 2020: US visa interview at US consulate Sydney - refused 221(g) issued. Request for joint sponsor 😞

31 July 2020: uploaded joint sponsor to NVC, emailed consulate 

5 August 2020: emailed received advising they have received the joint sponsor 

7 August 2020: case i0n “administrative processing” 🤞

10 August 2020: visa ISSUED 😭 

12 August 2020: passport and visa in hand!

I'd look on your local government's website to see what information they would need, but I would imagine confirmation from her work that she's planning to return to work there, as well as a booked return flight, will definitely help. I have heard that the Canadian border can be one of the trickiest to get through, especially from the US, but I've also heard if you can provide plenty of evidence that she is planning on returning to the US at some point you should have nothing to worry about. Best of luck! 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
52 minutes ago, zochu said:

what other ties does she have? Rental agreement? Mortgage? Savings to support her trip for that long? School/uni? Itinerary to do “touristy” stuff? 

Is she from Canada? 

I really don’t think you’ll have too much of an issue, but I’d get a few more pieces of evidence, like I mentioned above. But you never know 🤷‍♀️

The only other thing she has you listed is savings to support herself. Yep she's from canada

27 minutes ago, Angela & Brendon said:

I'd look on your local government's website to see what information they would need, but I would imagine confirmation from her work that she's planning to return to work there, as well as a booked return flight, will definitely help. I have heard that the Canadian border can be one of the trickiest to get through, especially from the US, but I've also heard if you can provide plenty of evidence that she is planning on returning to the US at some point you should have nothing to worry about. Best of luck! 

She's coming to the US from Canada. No return flight booked because we aren't sure if she's going to come back earlier or not.

Just now, Derek Scheyer said:

The only other thing she has you listed is savings to support herself. Yep she's from canada

All she can do is try. No guarantee into the States! Good luck to her! 

Our Visa Journey:

2 April 2018: Married in Santa Ana, California 💒

6 June 2019: Birth of our daughter 👶👨‍👩‍👧

14 October 2019: Sent I-130 package via AusPost 📮 

18 October 2019: NOA1 received - sent to Texas Service Centre :D

24 October 2019: USCIS processed filing fee 🤑 waiting game 🕰️

22 January 2020: Andy moved back to the USA😞 🇺🇸 - re-establish domicile & to get a job 👨‍⚕️

23 February 2020: Petition transferred from Texas Service Centre to Nebraska Service Centre 😞

15 May 2020: I-130 petition approved! 😭😍 Date changes leading up to the approval were: 1 May, 12 May, 13 May. 

16 May 2020: Received NVC email, paid all fees. Waiting for fees to process so we can upload and submit all documents

19 May 2020: Immigrant visa Fees PROCESSED; affidavit of support fee PROCESSED 

28 May 2020: Submitted VISA application, civil documents & affidavit of support documents. Patiently awaiting DQ. 

2 June 2020: Email received from NVC stating that we have been Documentary Qualified and that they will liaise with US Consulate in Sydney for Interview 🐨

27 June 2020: Expedite request submitted 🤞

7 July 2020: Expedite request APPROVED! 😃😭

15 July 2020: Email received advising of interview date and time. 
20 July 2020: Medical i: n Melbourne CBD 🏥     
28 July 2020: US visa interview at US consulate Sydney - refused 221(g) issued. Request for joint sponsor 😞

31 July 2020: uploaded joint sponsor to NVC, emailed consulate 

5 August 2020: emailed received advising they have received the joint sponsor 

7 August 2020: case i0n “administrative processing” 🤞

10 August 2020: visa ISSUED 😭 

12 August 2020: passport and visa in hand!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

As it has been said, there's a high risk of failure trying to enter without a return ticket, the best option is to book a a flight with a flexible return.

A lot of airlines are offering this option nowadays free of charge to encourage people to book flights again.

K1

Spoiler

I-129F sent : 30 November 2015
I-129F NOA1 : 16 December 2015
I-129F NOA2 : 02 February 2016
Packet 3 received : 29 February 2016
Packet 3 sent : 28 April 2016
Interview date : 13 June 2016 (Result: Administrative Review, document needed)
Visa received : 11 July 2016

AOS

Spoiler

US entry : 09 September 2016
Marriage ceremony: 02 December 2016
AOS sent to Chicago lockbox: 16 January 2017
Case accepted confirmation by email/sms: 27 January 2017
NOA1 received: 03 February 2017
Biometrics appointment letter received: 06 February 2017

Biometrics passed: 08 February 2017 (walk-in)
EAD status updated to "New Card Is Being Produced": 01 May 2017
NOA for EAD and AP received: 04 May 2017

Combo Card in hand: 06 May 2017

I-485 status updated to "New Card Is Being Produced": 15 July 2017
NOA for Green Card received: 20 July 2017
Conditional Green Card in hand: 21 July 2017

Removing Conditions

Spoiler

Package sent: 20 June 2019
Package received: 25 June 2019
NOA1: 18-month extension: 28 June 2019

Biometrics passed: 02 August 2019
New Card Being Produced: 30 July 2020
10-year Green Card Mailed: 19 August 2020

Naturalization

Spoiler

N-400 sent : 01 October 2020 (online)
Interview: 26 October 2021
RFI sent to office: 14 December 2021
Oath Ceremony: 18 February 2022

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

I have read (mind you this is what I read not my own knowledge) that when you're in the process of applying for a K1 it can actually be more detrimental to your case to have your foreign fiance visit in your country while that is pending. Whether this is true or not I can't say - but I was looking into the same thing as you. I do highly suggest a return ticket - if she needs to go back sooner that she can try to exchange that but better to be prepared for border control than to hope nothing happens. Good luck to you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to Tourist Visas, from K1 P&P- As the Topic is visiting.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

25 minutes ago, RainyJupiter said:

I have read (mind you this is what I read not my own knowledge) that when you're in the process of applying for a K1 it can actually be more detrimental to your case to have your foreign fiance visit in your country while that is pending. Whether this is true or not I can't say - but I was looking into the same thing as you. I do highly suggest a return ticket - if she needs to go back sooner that she can try to exchange that but better to be prepared for border control than to hope nothing happens. Good luck to you.

It's not detrimental, it helps your case to have more time spent together. The non US citizen might just have issues entering the US but that's not always the case. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
8 hours ago, Derek Scheyer said:

"We bought a one way ticket..." someone was denied for this exact reason and you are walking into the same mistake? Cover yourself on all sides and in more ways than one.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline
9 hours ago, Derek Scheyer said:

My fiance and I are planning a trip for her to come out here for about 5 months between November and March. I was wondering if there is any tips or advice for getting through the border agents. Buying a round trip ticket. You aren’t showing ANY evidence she will return if you don’t.

We purchased a one way ticket and we will buy her return ticket before March. We did it that way in case she needed to go home earlier due to the embassy working on our case or any other emergency reasons. Then you buy a refundable ticket or if you go with non refundable you lose your money. She will take an unpaid leave of absence with her work and they are making her a letter stating that she plans to return to work. This may not be helpful if the job doesn’t provide a date she will return to work. 

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
7 hours ago, Derek Scheyer said:

She's coming to the US from Canada. No return flight booked because we aren't sure if she's going to come back earlier or not.

Book a return ticket with flexible policy, then change the return date as needed once she is in the USA. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.