sl1pstream

SEVP modifies temporary exemptions for nonimmigrant students taking online courses during fall 2020 semester

26 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline

This seemed new, not sure if it affects anyone, but it seemed like it was worth posting.

WASHINGTON – The Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) announced modifications Monday to temporary exemptions for nonimmigrant students taking online classes due to the pandemic for the fall 2020 semester. The U.S. Department of Homeland Security plans to publish the procedures and responsibilities in the Federal Register as a Temporary Final Rule.

Temporary exemptions for the fall 2020 semester include:

https://www.ice.gov/news/releases/sevp-modifies-temporary-exemptions-nonimmigrant-students-taking-online-courses-during

5 minutes ago, sl1pstream said:

This seemed new, not sure if it affects anyone, but it seemed like it was worth posting.

It was definitely needed as there are F1 students still here and some colleges are doing online only this and fall semester.  1 class/ 3 credit is the current rule.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline
Just now, Paul & Mary said:

It was definitely needed as there are F1 students still here and some colleges are doing online only this and fall semester.  1 class/ 3 credit is the current rule.

It just seems like the timing is weird, with embassies still being closed. There seem to be a lot of students waiting for their visas to be issued, so they can still start school, but this kind of means that they couldn't start online until they're actually able to get to the US.

I wonder if this isn't one of the first clear signs that the embassies will be closed for the foreseeable future.

1 minute ago, sl1pstream said:

It just seems like the timing is weird, with embassies still being closed. There seem to be a lot of students waiting for their visas to be issued, so they can still start school, but this kind of means that they couldn't start online until they're actually able to get to the US.

I wonder if this isn't one of the first clear signs that the embassies will be closed for the foreseeable future.

It is for the students that are already in the US - the temporary rule makes it so the students are not out of status if the school goes to a hybrid model.   If has nothing to do with the new visas being issued or the status of the consulates.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
9 minutes ago, Paul & Mary said:

It is for the students that are already in the US - the temporary rule makes it so the students are not out of status if the school goes to a hybrid model.   If has nothing to do with the new visas being issued or the status of the consulates.

The exception for hybrid is needed but this seems limiting and will be a burden for some. Some students can't even go home now if they want to. "Active students currently in the United States enrolled in such programs must depart the country or take other measures, such as transferring to a school with in-person instruction to remain in lawful status. If not, they may face immigration consequences including, but not limited to, the initiation of removal proceedings.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
17 minutes ago, sl1pstream said:

maybe not the embassies but the colleges adopting new teaching methods /college freshman report in August and that doesn't give much time for them to be ready for students in classrooms/  some plan to open with smaller class size/ others say they will wait for the January term /while others are doing classes online and in classroom like those with labs 

the article says those with visas to study can not take more than one course online and keep their status but they can transfer to an acredited college that will open 

when we left Paris March 17th,  all the American students were flying home as things 'shut down and there really was no reason for them to stay and pay rent when their campus closed .  same here ,  if you can't attend class,  why stay?

Hi all, just want to confirm that this new rule only applies to current F1 students.

I was a F1 student but adjusted my status to a LPR. I'm thinking of going back to school (all online due to Covid). And so this policy doesn't affect a former F1 student in anyway right?

Just want to confirm before I start to register for classes.

4 minutes ago, JasonPII said:

Hi all, just want to confirm that this new rule only applies to current F1 students.

I was a F1 student but adjusted my status to a LPR. I'm thinking of going back to school (all online due to Covid). And so this policy doesn't affect a former F1 student in anyway right?

Just want to confirm before I start to register for classes.

Right, it does not impact LPRs.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

10 hours ago, SETETA said:

Some students can't even go home now if they want to.

Why not?  

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

I don't understand why everyone on reddit is so angry about this and freaking out. To me its nice there making exemptions and understanding the conditions with the pandemic because the old rule that always applied was if F1 students took more than 1 class online they lost their status and had to return home. Its not even a EO this is what the rules always were. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline
2 hours ago, OrihimeandIchigo said:

I don't understand why everyone on reddit is so angry about this and freaking out. To me its nice there making exemptions and understanding the conditions with the pandemic because the old rule that always applied was if F1 students took more than 1 class online they lost their status and had to return home. Its not even a EO this is what the rules always were. 

They should keep having the exemption while the COVID-19 crisis continues and then lift it once things are better.

Filed: Timeline
2 hours ago, OrihimeandIchigo said:

Some are upset for legitimate reasons that makes online study difficult to sustain in their home countries:

1. Lack of reliable or even none internet connection 

2. Electricity - Power supply is a big mess in some of those countries - power supply could be available for a couple of hours a day, or even none available for several days back to back. 
3. For those who are able to afford generations to provide them with the equivalent power supply, the noise from those generators make studying quite hard. 
4. Many of these students could possibly be sharing a room with several siblings back at home, so no dedicated place for studying. 
5. There’s the different time zones factor to contend with. 

I’m sure there are several other reasons outside of what I’ve listed above that people are upset about.  Overall, there’s the feeling of being held accountable and penalized for a decision taken by their school administrators. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.