Traveler101

Mom was sent back home at EU transfer airport

111 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, April M said:

Can you provide the web link on that information please? 

DOS FAQ: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/national-visa-center/immigrant-visas-processing-general-faqs.html#NQ

My immigrant visa expired before I was able to travel to the United States.  What should I do?

You should contact the Immigrant Visa Unit of the U.S. Embassy or Consulate that issued your visa.  You do not need to file a new petition with USCIS, but you may need to submit a new application (DS-260) and pay another immigrant visa application processing fee.  In addition, you may need to submit new supporting documents, such as a new medical examination and police certificate.  Please be prepared to return your unused, expired visa and visa package (if applicable).  Requests to reissue or replace visas are considered on a case-by-case basis, and all applicants are required to re-establish their eligibility;  there is no guarantee that you will receive a new visa.

Regulation (CFR): https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/22/42.72

Policy (FAM): https://fam.state.gov/fam/09FAM/09FAM050410.html#M504_10_5

Since the question of a visa extension has been brought up several times in various threads now, I dove a bit deeper to see if it is technically possible...

Technically per the regulation above, the visa can be extended for up to the 6 month point from the date of issuance. Note that an immigrant visa validity period is constrained by that of the medical validity, so the visa should have been issued for less than 6 months initially.

If the medical was obtained considerably before visa was issued, the way I read the CFR is that the visa could be extended (with a new medical) that would expire at the 6 month point from the date of issue. This is granted on a case by case basis.

Although, I can't imagine the timeline for doing so right now, even if they agreed. There would need to be a decent chunk of time between when the medical occurred and visa was issued for this to even have a slight chance of working out.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Not sure about other embassies but this is what Vietnam embassy says about renewing visas.

* Previously Issued Visas and Visa Renewals: If you already have a U.S. immigrant visa that has not expired, you may still use it to immigrate to the United States. If your immigrant visa has expired due to factors beyond your control, please contact our office here for instructions on how to renew it; there is a fee, and you will need to undergo a new medical examination. Note that we presently cannot renew visas in categories suspended by President Trump’s Proclamation.

Link:  https://vn.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visas/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
13 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

You are taking my comment out of context.  I responded to a poster who suggested a COVID test in lieu of quarantine, which is not something I have seen as an alternative to the current US travel restrictions for UK/Schengen/Iran/China etc.

Hi,

I read it, and that is why I thought there is some misunderstanding going on.

First, US does not require a quarantine.  Just that a traveler to not be in any of the banned countries in the past 14 days.  So the quarantine post from the other person would apply to Ukraine, which does allow a covid test in lieu of quarantine.

If the poster meant to comment about travel to the US, then the clarification is not that there is a required quarantine, but a non exempt-able (as far as I'm aware) wait of 14 days before travelling to the US from a non-banned country.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
8 hours ago, LittlePenguin said:

Not sure about other embassies but this is what Vietnam embassy says about renewing visas.

* Previously Issued Visas and Visa Renewals: If you already have a U.S. immigrant visa that has not expired, you may still use it to immigrate to the United States. If your immigrant visa has expired due to factors beyond your control, please contact our office here for instructions on how to renew it; there is a fee, and you will need to undergo a new medical examination. Note that we presently cannot renew visas in categories suspended by President Trump’s Proclamation.

Link:  https://vn.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visas/

Seems to fit the OP's situation pretty well.  The visa will expire due to travel in restricted areas, and it cannot be extended or renewed (due to the proclamation).

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

On 6/28/2020 at 1:50 PM, Traveler101 said:

But now she has to wait for 14 days and visa will expire and then who knows when and how it will be reissued.

I just don't understand how they sold her tickets that's one, second how the heck they let her through in Ukraine and to board. Don't they know their job? Aren't they supposed to know that she won't be allowed in? I'm so irritated and frustrated 😫

Why can’t she fly now and go through another country that is allowed entry?  Is it because she has now entered a banned European country?  Also, when was her visa issued?  In situations like what is going on in the world today, shouldn’t she have tried to come sooner rather than later?  I hope her issue is resolved and she is able to enter the U.S.  

10 minutes ago, Diane and Chris said:

Why can’t she fly now and go through another country that is allowed entry?  Is it because she has now entered a banned European country?

Yes, she has to wait 2 weeks, by which time her visa will have expired.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
On 6/28/2020 at 7:31 PM, geowrian said:

If this is an IR-5 case, they won't be able to re-issue the visa as new IR-5 visas are banned until at least 2021.

There is now an updated version (on 29th June) of the proclamation that exempts IR5 category as long as the USC filer is unmarried. It also exempts spouse of green card holders (F2A) and their children, siblings of USC as long as they are married. Some other categories were also included. This is the updated version https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/News/visas-news/presidential-proclamation-coronavirus.html?fbclid=IwAR3yNPaYEc8cAFb2qbQOlzDzD2bsXQeRkc7qnm6VcusJwvEvJbXNgAdTBg4

1 hour ago, Enie said:

There is now an updated version (on 29th June) of the proclamation that exempts IR5 category as long as the USC filer is unmarried. It also exempts spouse of green card holders (F2A) and their children, siblings of USC as long as they are married. Some other categories were also included. This is the updated version https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/News/visas-news/presidential-proclamation-coronavirus.html?fbclid=IwAR3yNPaYEc8cAFb2qbQOlzDzD2bsXQeRkc7qnm6VcusJwvEvJbXNgAdTBg4

Hmmm - from that link 

siblings (provided that both the sibling and the U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident are unmarried and under the age of 21)”. If this refers to F4 it’s meaningless, because current PDs would imply that the USC would have had to file the i130 at, oldest, age 8.

parents (provided that his/her U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident child is unmarried and under the age of 21),” Can’t refer to IR5 because you have to be 21 to file IR5. 

Also LPRs can’t file for either parents or siblings, so the inclusions above are a little odd. Anyone figure out what visa categories these would actually apply to? Would these be included in the exceptions to non-immigrant visas?

And the actual proclamations themselves still don’t exempt spouses or children of LPRs.

Edited by SusieQQQ

1 hour ago, Enie said:

The exemption you are referring to was there in the original one. It is for parents of an under-21 USC child.

An IR-5 visa requires the petitioner be 21 or older. So - like the original EO - it would require an under-21 USC child in addition to the petitioner as a son/daughter. The IR-5 category is still banned by one EO (so no new visa), and physical presence in past 14 days within certain countries is still banned for parents of a USC, unless that exemption applies (the OP's current case).

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

15 minutes ago, geowrian said:

it would require an under-21 USC child in addition to the petitioner as a son/daughter.

*an under-21 USC or LPR child in addition

Subsection 2(a)(iii) says, "any alien who is the parent or legal guardian of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, provided that the U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident is unmarried and under the age of 21"

Edited by HRQX

Just now, HRQX said:

*an under-21 USC or LPR child in addition

Subsection 2(a)(iii) says, "any alien who is the parent or legal guardian of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, provided that the U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident is unmarried and under the age of 21"

Correct, thanks. I was going off memory, mea culpa.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

AOS:

Spoiler

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

NVC

K-1

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Uganda
Timeline
8 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

Hmmm - from that link 

siblings (provided that both the sibling and the U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident are unmarried and under the age of 21)”. If this refers to F4 it’s meaningless, because current PDs would imply that the USC would have had to file the i130 at, oldest, age 8.

parents (provided that his/her U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident child is unmarried and under the age of 21),” Can’t refer to IR5 because you have to be 21 to file IR5. 

Also LPRs can’t file for either parents or siblings, so the inclusions above are a little odd. Anyone figure out what visa categories these would actually apply to? Would these be included in the exceptions to non-immigrant visas?

And the actual proclamations themselves still don’t exempt spouses or children of LPRs.

There are links with in links to go to in the link, if you use them it will lead you to other info.

11 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

because current PDs would imply that the USC would have had to file the i130 at, oldest, age 8.

Just a note that USC petitioners must also be at least 21 in order submit I-130 for sibling: https://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?req=granuleid%3AUSC-prelim-title8-section1153&num=0&edition=prelim#0-0-0-182

11 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

siblings, so the inclusions above are a little odd. Anyone figure out what visa categories these would actually apply to?

It would have to be very niche cases. I assume most of those niche cases would involve nonimmigrant entry. That section on the page is referring to Subsection 2(a) of the five proclamations (Schengen Area; UK and Ireland; Brazil; Iran; China): "(iii)   any alien who is the parent or legal guardian of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, provided that the U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident is unmarried and under the age of 21; (iv)    any alien who is the sibling of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, provided that both are unmarried and under the age of 21" An example of a niche case would be the following hypothetical:

A family of 4 (the husband, wife, child aged 6 and child aged 4) from Italy enter with Immigrant Visas* in early 2016. In mid-2017, the father gets a great job offer in Italy. He decides to relocate with the wife and youngest child; the older child would be in the care of the father's cousin and remain in the US. For simplicity sake, let's say the 3 that left to Italy submitted Form I-407, Record of Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident Status. In early 2019, the 3 of them apply for B-1/B-2 visas and are approved. While the Schengen Area proclamation is in force, they can travel directly to the US for visits per the exemptions mentioned above.

*Diversity Visa works for this hypothetical. Maybe other Immigrant Visas work too?

Edited by HRQX

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.