Traveler101

Mom was sent back home at EU transfer airport

111 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
55 minutes ago, Traveler101 said:

She is going to contact embassy and see what they say about extending her visa.

Visas cannot be extended......only re-issued after they expire....at the discretion of the consulate.

Edited by Lucky Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 hour ago, April M said:

I would check with the embassy or USCIS and find out how to extend the date somehow.

Cannot be done.  Visas can not be extended.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
7 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

No.  There has been no mention of that as an alternative to quarantine.

I think there is some misunderstanding going on here.

Ukraine had a mandatory 14 day observed quarantine for anyone entering the country.  Because the OP's mom is returning from Zurich, she would need to quarantine for 14 days.

However, in April/May, they allowed the use of an app to self quarantine instead of being quarantined at a government supervised facility.  This past week, the UKR government has  allowed a specific C-19 test in lieu of quarantine all together.

I know it is too late now, but Ukraine Airlines operated direct flights from Kyiv to New York JKF on occasion, about 4 flights a month.  These were not charter flights but specially scheduled commercial flights.   The OP's mom could have flown on one of these.   

But as other's have said, due to her being in Zurich and the EO, she needs to wait 14 days before travelling to the US.  At which point her visa would have expired.   I would highly advise the OP to contact the US Embassy in Kyiv to see if there are any options, however unlikely.   I know no new visas for IR5 can be issued.  But, in this case, the IR5 was initially issued in Jan 2020.  Maybe they can make an exception?  Not likely to happen, but there is no harm in trying.  

Visa service center for Ukraine:  https://www.ustraveldocs.com/ua/ua-main-contactus.asp#contactinfo

Kyiv Embassy:  KyivIV@state.gov

5 hours ago, Punisher said:

Not to ruffle any feathers, but rather be objective: it is not "his" definition, it IS the definition of chain migration. Anyone other than spouse or kid of USC/LPR falls into chain migration. Period.  Besides parents and siblings there is no one else that goes into chain migration.

Married children of USCs with their families are generally understood to fall into that category too.

and some on VJ were of the opinion that spouses and minor children of LPRs should be added in, during a discussion about those falling under the current green card ban.

5 hours ago, April M said:

I would check with the embassy or USCIS and find out how to extend the date somehow. Also check on line for info. If none of those pan out I would ask a lawyer. Sometimes just calling and asking a question can get you on the right track without needing to hire them. YouTube might have something too. The problem is this is all new so we all are dealing with things that are not normal. Hope you find the answer. I would be interested in the info

USCIS does not issue or oversee visas, only DOS.  Visa expiration dates cannot be extended.  

4 hours ago, Traveler101 said:

She is going to contact embassy and see what they say about extending her visa.

If her visa expires, it can't be extended.  It would be a re-issue, which unfortunately won't happen for that visa class during 2020.

3 hours ago, SteveInBostonI130 said:

Ukraine had a mandatory 14 day observed quarantine for anyone entering the country.  Because the OP's mom is returning from Zurich, she would need to quarantine for 14 days.

However, in April/May, they allowed the use of an app to self quarantine instead of being quarantined at a government supervised facility.  This past week, the UKR government has  allowed a specific C-19 test in lieu of quarantine all together.

I know it is too late now, but Ukraine Airlines operated direct flights from Kyiv to New York JKF on occasion, about 4 flights a month.  These were not charter flights but specially scheduled commercial flights.   The OP's mom could have flown on one of these.   

But as other's have said, due to her being in Zurich and the EO, she needs to wait 14 days before travelling to the US.  At which point her visa would have expired.   I would highly advise the OP to contact the US Embassy in Kyiv to see if there are any options, however unlikely.   I know no new visas for IR5 can be issued.  But, in this case, the IR5 was initially issued in Jan 2020.  Maybe they can make an exception?  Not likely to happen, but there is no harm in trying.  

Visa service center for Ukraine:  https://www.ustraveldocs.com/ua/ua-main-contactus.asp#contactinfo

You are taking my comment out of context.  I responded to a poster who suggested a COVID test in lieu of quarantine, which is not something I have seen as an alternative to the current US travel restrictions for UK/Schengen/Iran/China etc.

I feel very sorry for your mom, very stressful situation. I think there is no harm in trying to get her visa reissued, but they probably won’t until the ban is over. We never know, but it could have been a blessing in disguise since the situation with COVID here, apart from east coast, is getting worse, so she is probably safer in Ukraine for now.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
16 minutes ago, Milasa said:

I feel very sorry for your mom, very stressful situation. I think there is no harm in trying to get her visa reissued, but they probably won’t until the ban is over. We never know, but it could have been a blessing in disguise since the situation with COVID here, apart from east coast, is getting worse, so she is probably safer in Ukraine for now.

Thank you so much. I'm just trying to stay positive and thinking that it was meant to be. It is what it is right now.

I-485 Adjustment of Status

03/31/2014 I mailed applications to Chicago lockbox
04/02/2014 Package received by USCIS
04/10/2014 E-notification paperwork received
04/10/2014 Checks cashed
04/14/2014 Hard notice received in a mail
04/18/2014 Biometrics app letter received for 05/12/2014
04/24/2014 Walk-in biometrics done at Port Chester, NY office( no problems at all, very nice people)
04/29/2014 My status online changed to Request for evidence
05/03/2014 got RFE and now status is stuck on Request for evidence response review.
08/26/2014 Status changed to Testing and Interview
08/29/2014 Got an email update interview scheduled for October 1st and paper notice sent out
10/1/2014 HAd our interview at Hartford,CT office. wasnt approved on the spot. 10/3/2014 Got an update that status of I485 changed to Card Production. Then at night changed to Decision. I 130 Post decision activity
10/09/2014 Status changed to Card production We mailed you a new card. You'll receive within 30 days
10/09/2014 Got a tracking number. Estimated delivery 10/11/2014
10/11/2014 Green card in hand!
Whole process took 6 month( thanks to RFE) :)

I-751 Removal of Conditions

9/16/2016 Package sent to USCIS Vermont

9/22/2016 Check cashed

9/24/2016 Notice of Action in the mail dated 9/20/2016

10/2/2016 Received a letter for Biometrics for 10/19/2016

10/14/2016 Early walk-in for biometrics in Port Chester, NY again like last time no problems

On 6/28/2020 at 1:20 PM, Traveler101 said:

Hi all,

My mother was coming to US on IMM grant visa which when she arrives in US will grant her Green Card. Well, she had a transfer at Zurich airport and they didn't let her go to us, she has to go back to Ukraine. US baned all entry from European countries due to the COVID. Only Americans and diplomats are allowed to entry. Now I do not know what's next since her visa expires on July 2. 

Sorry to hear this and I hope things work out and your mother gets here safely. Please all remember vote in November.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Uganda
Timeline
8 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

If her visa expires, it can't be extended.  It would be a re-issue, which unfortunately won't happen for that visa class during 2020.

Can you provide the web link on that information please? 

Timeline
11 hours ago, SteveInBostonI130 said:

Thanks for all the info. I did here that if the visa has been already issued they are honoring them . But this is good info to know

Timeline
12 hours ago, Lucky Cat said:

Visas cannot be extended......only re-issued after they expire....at the discretion of the consulate.

This comment was some good info. At: SteveInBostonI130 

1 hour ago, April M said:

Can you provide the web link on that information please? 

A link on what info?  That expired visas cannot be extended?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.