56 posts in this topic

I need help!! I want to go home. My husband is abusive towards me and it’s getting worse since our son has been born. I thought I married the man of my dreams. But it turns out I married a monster. How do I go home to the Uk. I feel so alone. I don’t have any family or friends out here. I left my job to stay at home with the baby so he could work full tome so I’m fully dependent on him. I’m too scared to call the police. I don’t want to be in a homeless shelter. Please don’t be cruel  I need the support right now 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

I would say to book a ticket and fly home but I think that might fall under kidnapping if you take the child without his permission. Is he physically abusive? You do not have to be scared to call police that is what they are there for. You can’t be kicked out of your house. Do you have anyone here you can stay with? If there wasn’t a child involved you could fly home and file for divorce there - I hope someone can chime in with what to do when a kid is involved. Good luck- I hope someone can provide better advice.

Edited by Luckycuds

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

47 minutes ago, Debzib88 said:

I need help!! I want to go home. My husband is abusive towards me and it’s getting worse since our son has been born. I thought I married the man of my dreams. But it turns out I married a monster. How do I go home to the Uk. I feel so alone. I don’t have any family or friends out here. I left my job to stay at home with the baby so he could work full tome so I’m fully dependent on him. I’m too scared to call the police. I don’t want to be in a homeless shelter. Please don’t be cruel  I need the support right now 

From a UKer to a UKer, I found this for you... https://www.uscis.gov/archive/archive-news/information-legal-rights-available-immigrant-victims-domestic-violence-united-states-and-facts-about-immigrating-a-marriage-based-visa-fact-sheet

I’m not entirely sure of your situation but there is definitely some hotline numbers you can call and maybe guide you on your next steps. Give it a read and do not be afraid to reach out for help. If you need any other information. Just reach out. Don’t feel like you are alone in this. 

You might already have this link, but here's the website for the domestic violence services in your state. 

https://www.dshs.wa.gov/esa/community-services-offices/domestic-violence-services

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Hi,

Sorry that you are in an abusive relationship.  You can go home by simply hopping on a plane.  You can not take your baby with you since it would be without the father's permission and you will be prosecuted for international parental kidnapping.  You need to call the police.  You need to make sure that you and your baby are safe.  

I'm sorry.

First step is to make sure you're safe. Seek a local women's shelter and/or church group for assistance there.

As suggested above, you cannot take the child back to the UK (or anywhere) without his consent or a court order. That would be international child abduction, and not something you want to get involved with.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

2 hours ago, Debzib88 said:

dont think there is any other way other than calling the police and get a court order to take the child with you.  Make sure you have enough documentation to convince the court .

duh

Timeline
10 minutes ago, Debzib88 said:

I’m not leaving without my son. I’ll find a way

The only way you can legally take the child with you is either with the father's permission or a court order allowing you to take the child.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline

Here’s what I would do... 

Make a plan safely to escape to the UK with child before leaving I would file a protective order therefore he cannot come after you or the child And it shows you aren’t guilty of kidnapping internationally without a court order you are pretty much screwed reach out to the hot lines as I know there are plenty in the states and most importantly don’t be ashamed to seek out help even if it means the law gets involved 

good luck and I am sorry for your situation ❤️

Timeline
4 minutes ago, geowrian said:

A protective order / TRO is not a court order allowing you to take a child to live in another country.

Doing this could result in very severe criminal consequences. The child needs a good parent...not an abusive one or one in jail.

However, a protective order would keep the abuser away while she seeks out help in the states correct? 
Regardless of the process she should seek out some help thru hotlines who can guide her better than people on a forum :)

2 minutes ago, kristinaax03225 said:

However, a protective order would keep the abuser away while she seeks out help in the states correct? 
Regardless of the process she should seek out some help thru hotlines who can guide her better than people on a forum :)

Yes, a TRO would be a good idea (once they have found somewhere to safely reside, of course...safety is always first). A TRO does not ensure somebody's safety, but it is one of the measures to try to keep somebody away due to the criminal consequences of violating it.

Yup, offline help is certainly going to be needed. I think the OP needs information on how to reach somebody who can assist them offline. 👍

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
41 minutes ago, kristinaax03225 said:

Here’s what I would do... 

Make a plan safely to escape to the UK with child before leaving I would file a protective order therefore he cannot come after you or the child And it shows you aren’t guilty of kidnapping internationally without a court order you are pretty much screwed reach out to the hot lines as I know there are plenty in the states and most importantly don’t be ashamed to seek out help even if it means the law gets involved 

good luck and I am sorry for your situation ❤️

OMG.  You are literally advising her to commit international parental kidnapping.  This is horrible advice.

A protective order prevents him from contacting her or coming near her.  It does not allow her to take the child to the UK.  

Timeline
Just now, aaron2020 said:

OMG.  You are literally advising her to commit international parental kidnapping.  This is horrible advice.

A protective order prevents him from contacting her or coming near her.  It does not allow her to take the child to the UK.  

Again...I did not realize that hence why I said in another post I asked if  it would help while she is in the USA. I would never advise anybody to commit an illegal act but, she should seek out protection while she is in the states until she figures out how to take her child and herself safely back to her home. 
however, I also believe she should seek out help thru hotlines, free legal aid in her city and other resources meant to help people that are victims of domestic violence and other crimes.

I hope the OP gets the help she needs and realizes she isn’t the only one who has been in her situation.

blessings :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.