Brazil/US2018

No Stimulus check for Husband????

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Sooo..Got my stimulus check aaaand I only got one for myself and NOT my spouse amount?? We got married last year (may 2019). I am so confused. I did file my taxes for 2018 and 2019. Obviously I could not file married on the 2018 one, but I did on the 2019 taxes.

Does anyone that is  smart with this stuff tell me why? Also, no, he does NOT have a green card as he came from a K1. We are waiting for his interview since COVID pushed it back, so Lord only knows when that will be now. But he is here as legally as he can possibly be. Its not my fault he doesn't have a GC and regardless we are married, so shouldn't i have gotten the full amount? He does have a social security number that he got in 2019.

Maybe they are going off based on 2019 file?

Help anyone?? Is there somewhere I can go to file for his check?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

When did you file your 2019 return?

As an aside,  it's not that he won't get a stimulus payment,  he may not get an advance payment.   Final settlement occurs with your 2020 tax filing 

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
52 minutes ago, Brazil/US2018 said:

Sooo..Got my stimulus check aaaand I only got one for myself and NOT my spouse amount?? We got married last year (may 2019). I am so confused. I did file my taxes for 2018 and 2019. Obviously I could not file married on the 2018 one, but I did on the 2019 taxes.

Does anyone that is  smart with this stuff tell me why? Also, no, he does NOT have a green card as he came from a K1. We are waiting for his interview since COVID pushed it back, so Lord only knows when that will be now. But he is here as legally as he can possibly be. Its not my fault he doesn't have a GC and regardless we are married, so shouldn't i have gotten the full amount? He does have a social security number that he got in 2019.

They sent your stimulus check based on your 2018 taxes.......your spouse will have to wait and get a tax credit after filing 2020 taxes next year.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
52 minutes ago, Brazil/US2018 said:

It all depends when you filed 2019 taxes. If you mailed the return in the last month or 2, they're not processing any paper return because of covid-19, so they paid based on your 2018 return.

If you e-filed 2019, then you mostly filed after the cutoff.

According to the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act, non-U.S. citizens with a Social Security number who live and work here, including green card holders and workers using visas such as H-1B and H-2A, are eligible to receive checks.

“Non-resident aliens” who do not have green cards will not receive them.

For what I understand from this info published in the internet, unfortunately your spouse would not receive the stimulus check because he is not a green card holder yet. Being a US citizen or being a green card holder are the only requirements stated (besides the income cap).

Edited by JORGEM76

Timeline
2 hours ago, JORGEM76 said:

According to the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act, non-U.S. citizens with a Social Security number who live and work here, including green card holders and workers using visas such as H-1B and H-2A, are eligible to receive checks.

For what I understand from this info published in the internet, unfortunately your spouse would not receive the stimulus check because he is not a green card holder yet. Being a US citizen or being a green card holder are the only requirements stated (besides the income cap).

Not true. You need to have filed taxes (1040) in 2019 or 2018 with an SSN to be eligible for the advanced rebate. I'm not a green card holder and I received it. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
4 hours ago, JORGEM76 said:

Resident alien and nonresident alien for tax purposes are quite different than a lawful permanent resident.

YMMV

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
6 hours ago, JORGEM76 said:

If they filed married/jointly and he has a SS number he would have been classified as a resident for tax purposes and should have received this payment.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
15 hours ago, Brazil/US2018 said:

If your husband has a SS#,  and you included that SS# on your 2019 taxes filed this year,  you could go to www.irs.gov and click on the upper right link, "where's my money" or something like that.  you will need your 2019 AGI,  his SS#,  his Birthdate, and his street address (no city, state), and lastly the zip code.  It will say if he is qualified for the stimulus check. if he is, and you have direct deposit, you can enter the routing and checking acct #.  It is updated only once a day, and currently for a few days, they are doing maintenance between 10pm - 1am eastern time. 

7 hours ago, JORGEM76 said:

Not true. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
21 hours ago, Ayrton said:

It all depends when you filed 2019 taxes. If you mailed the return in the last month or 2, they're not processing any paper return because of covid-19, so they paid based on your 2018 return.

If you e-filed 2019, then you mostly filed after the cutoff.

That is not true. I've filed my return taxes with wife one week before we got the checks (April 10th or so). We've got married last year and this year was first time we filed taxes together.

What I would suggest, go to IRS web page and click on the link where you can check his eligibility.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Thunderbolt said:

That is not true. I've filed my return taxes with wife one week before we got the checks (April 10th or so). We've got married last year and this year was first time we filed taxes together.

What I would suggest, go to IRS web page and click on the link where you can check his eligibility.

You received the full 2400? That's good for you. I saw a lot of people that filed taxes first week of March and received the stimulus based on 2018.

5 hours ago, Thunderbolt said:

Just to clarify - when you say checks, did you get a single check, separate checks or was it a direct deposit? I was under the impression that physical checks were not being issued until April 24th.

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.