32 posts in this topic

I have been married to my wife for 4 years. We have a 3 yr old daughter. We lived in WA. I am moving to another state in midwest for work. She is not moving. Things in life happened.  We decided to divorce in peace. She is older and makes more money. I make minimum wage. Should I get a lawyer for settlement? How custody would work in this case being us living in two different states? How child support works in our case ? I haven't done any of that before but I am willing to read from resources to learn more and make it fair for everyone. 

These are family law questions not immigration questions.  You should retain a lawyer because you have a child.  Unless you are absolutely positive that your spouse and yourself can come to an agreement on custody.  But if you ever want to pursue citizenship, you'll need to pay child support if you're not the primary caregiver, even if your wife makes more than you.  I suggest a lawyer even if you two plan on being very equitable. 

Edited by NikLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

8 minutes ago, NikLR said:

These are family law questions not immigration questions.  You should retain a lawyer because you have a child.  Unless you are absolutely positive that your spouse and yourself can come to an agreement on custody.  But if you ever want to pursue citizenship, you'll need to pay child support if you're not the primary caregiver, even if your wife makes more than you.  I suggest a lawyer even if you two plan on being very equitable. 

I heard lawyers do nothing sometimes. If I am good at searching and filing in papers etc. Why not do it by myself ? Is there a reason why lawyer is better ? Besides the fact I heard crazy amount of money like 10k or so at least. We don't own stuff together. It's mostly her stuff. We just have a baby together...that's it. And I want to make sure I am not getting screwed and be able to see my baby, by living in another state. She mostly probably will get custody but i want to make sure at least I get half or quarter custody too. Btw, I will be a citizen before the divorce.

Edited by Dantrolene

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline
15 minutes ago, Dantrolene said:

I heard lawyers do nothing sometimes. If I am good at searching and filing in papers etc. Why not do it by myself ? Is there a reason why lawyer is better ? Besides the fact I heard crazy amount of money like 10k or so at least. We don't own stuff together. It's mostly her stuff. We just have a baby together...that's it. And I want to make sure I am not getting screwed and be able to see my baby, by living in another state. She mostly probably will get custody but i want to make sure at least I get half or quarter custody too. Btw, I will be a citizen before the divorce.

This is why you should have a lawyer. 
I read in another post you filed for citizenship based on 3 years of marriage to your US spouse? It you are divorcing then you can’t obtain citizenship this way. 

Edited by Luckycuds

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I need to mention that the reason behind me moving to another state is because I am receiving a training that I couldn't find here. So it's not just a regular job. It's like a school training has to be done to be a professional and it's for 3 years, after that I can move back to Washington.  So in this case, would that help make things in my favor when I want to split custody ? Can my daughter comes to live with me in a different state in the summer months and would that be considered half custody ?   I want to see my kid more often and meanwhile not stuck with 75% or more of child support. I want to make it fair 50 50.  In regards to assets, it's her house and her car, so obviously no disputes in that matter, even though the law in WA is 50 50 when it comes to divorce, no matter assets falls under any spouse name.  I hope that gives you more perspective about my case. 

19 minutes ago, Dantrolene said:

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I need to mention that the reason behind me moving to another state is because I am receiving a training that I couldn't find here. So it's not just a regular job. It's like a school training has to be done to be a professional and it's for 3 years, after that I can move back to Washington.  So in this case, would that help make things in my favor when I want to split custody ? Can my daughter comes to live with me in a different state in the summer months and would that be considered half custody ?   I want to see my kid more often and meanwhile not stuck with 75% or more of child support. I want to make it fair 50 50.  In regards to assets, it's her house and her car, so obviously no disputes in that matter, even though the law in WA is 50 50 when it comes to divorce, no matter assets falls under any spouse name.  I hope that gives you more perspective about my case. 

Can the professional training not be done here in Washington?

The community property aspect of assets in Washington refers to assets attained after marriage.  The assets/portion of the assets your wife had before marrying you will be seen as her separate property.

Whatever amicable arrangement you two arrive at regarding the parenting plan/custody arrangement will generally be approved by the courts.  And child support is calculated based on a formula that includes income, but residential time with the child can be factored in as well.  

Filed: Timeline

The child lives in whatever state she is currently living in with the mom. You are probably not going to be able to get 50-50 custody being in another state unless you are right across the border type situation. 50-50 means the child would live with you 1/2 the time and thats simply not reasonable when theres a huge distance. 

31 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Can the professional training not be done here in Washington?

The community property aspect of assets in Washington refers to assets attained after marriage.  The assets/portion of the assets your wife had before marrying you will be seen as her separate property.

Whatever amicable arrangement you two arrive at regarding the parenting plan/custody arrangement will generally be approved by the courts.  And child support is calculated based on a formula that includes income, but residential time with the child can be factored in as well.  

Unfortunately the professional training can't be done in WA.  But again after 3 yrs I can move back to find a job here easily. 

So 3 yrs can be huge in determining things like custody etc. So just to make sure, things can be changed at anytime if situation changed right?  Like if she has fully custody now, in 3 yrs I can have half custody when I come back correct ? I just want to make sure things won't be forever the same if I agreed to something initially. She may get a lawyer for custody and child support to obtain as much as she wants. She is planning to get full custody and daycare and college and child support and maybe even alimony. She is steep and serious when it comes to that part espy my job salary is 6 figure and I will be making more than hers at some point. 

Filed: Timeline

yes.

Custody and support amounts can change. It sounds like you will need an attny if your ex is how you described. Doesnt sound like this is something you guys will be able to come to an agreement on... Child support is based on how much you are earning but there are minimums. Some states allow for college expenses and other things of that nature, some do not. Alimony is a different subject, probably NA since you havent been married that long and she is working. 

5 minutes ago, Villanelle said:

yes.

Custody and support amounts can change. It sounds like you will need an attny if your ex is how you described. Doesnt sound like this is something you guys will be able to come to an agreement on... Child support is based on how much you are earning but there are minimums. Some states allow for college expenses and other things of that nature, some do not. Alimony is a different subject, probably NA since you havent been married that long and she is working. 

What can attorney do ? Court should be fair when it comes to custody and child support, aren't they? So my understanding attorneys are just costly and mostly worthless.  As you said it's calculated based on income, situations, etc. 

A question, if we decided to get a divorce eventually, should we do it sooner before I move out of state, or after when things get settled down for me financially ? 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.