SusieQQQ

B visa refusal rates by country

33 posts in this topic

FY2019 data have been published 

https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Statistics/Non-Immigrant-Statistics/RefusalRates/FY19.pdf

North Korea, Micronesia and Palau had 100% refusal rates.

Next worst Libya, Iran and Somalia all in the 80s.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Western Sahara seems the best place to apply.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

14 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Western Sahara seems the best place to apply.

It’s not even listed in their other tables so I’m assuming it’s some kind of quirk. Maybe one person applied and got approved? 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
37 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

It’s not even listed in their other tables so I’m assuming it’s some kind of quirk. Maybe one person applied and got approved? 

I was sort of pointing out the spurious nature of these figures.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

14 minutes ago, Eric&Mirella said:

Shocked that Venezuela went from the high 80s to 59%  in just one year. 

It was 74% in FY2018, not high 80s. So still a reduction but not as stark. And also on far fewer numbers though. In FY18, 21.4k B visas were issued, down to just 14.7k last year,. Working back (I’m sure the actual numbers are out there somewhere but this is rough based on issued and refusal rates) only around 36k people applied last year compared to 82k the previous year. Whether high refusal rates discouraged those most likely to be or whether the situation just made it really difficult to apply for many people - it looks like the main reason for the fall was a smaller pool of (relatively) stronger applicants. It is of course still a very high refusal rate.

How does this rate work for Canada and countries with VWP?  Does it only report on those individuals that wanted to be in the US for longer than the maximum visa-free period?

Edited by Moe428

2 hours ago, Moe428 said:

Does it only report on those individuals that wanted to be in the US for longer than the maximum visa-free period?

In the case of both Canada and Bermuda, it's those that "are inadmissible to the United States under immigration law, or have previously violated the terms of their immigration status in the United States"; DOS info on the waiver process: https://fam.state.gov/fam/09FAM/09FAM030503.html For VWP countries, it's individuals that were denied an ESTA* or those that want a B for potentially longer visits. Trying for a B for potentially longer visits isn't recommended; odds are they'll deny it and then the subsequent ESTA application will most likely be denied.

*Some ESTA denials are for individuals that "are inadmissible to the United States under immigration law, or have previously violated the terms of their immigration status in the United States."

Edited by HRQX

Why would Micronesia have 100% refusal rate. I get why North Korea does 

Our Visa Journey:

2 April 2018: Married in Santa Ana, California 💒

6 June 2019: Birth of our daughter 👶👨‍👩‍👧

14 October 2019: Sent I-130 package via AusPost 📮 

18 October 2019: NOA1 received - sent to Texas Service Centre :D

24 October 2019: USCIS processed filing fee 🤑 waiting game 🕰️

22 January 2020: Andy moved back to the USA😞 🇺🇸 - re-establish domicile & to get a job 👨‍⚕️

23 February 2020: Petition transferred from Texas Service Centre to Nebraska Service Centre 😞

15 May 2020: I-130 petition approved! 😭😍 Date changes leading up to the approval were: 1 May, 12 May, 13 May. 

16 May 2020: Received NVC email, paid all fees. Waiting for fees to process so we can upload and submit all documents

19 May 2020: Immigrant visa Fees PROCESSED; affidavit of support fee PROCESSED 

28 May 2020: Submitted VISA application, civil documents & affidavit of support documents. Patiently awaiting DQ. 

2 June 2020: Email received from NVC stating that we have been Documentary Qualified and that they will liaise with US Consulate in Sydney for Interview 🐨

27 June 2020: Expedite request submitted 🤞

7 July 2020: Expedite request APPROVED! 😃😭

15 July 2020: Email received advising of interview date and time. 
20 July 2020: Medical i: n Melbourne CBD 🏥     
28 July 2020: US visa interview at US consulate Sydney - refused 221(g) issued. Request for joint sponsor 😞

31 July 2020: uploaded joint sponsor to NVC, emailed consulate 

5 August 2020: emailed received advising they have received the joint sponsor 

7 August 2020: case i0n “administrative processing” 🤞

10 August 2020: visa ISSUED 😭 

12 August 2020: passport and visa in hand!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline
18 hours ago, Boiler said:

I was sort of pointing out the spurious nature of these figures.

I am so surprised Haiti is only 60! It’s definitely decreased. Good for Haitians but it doesn’t seem completely accurate..

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

VERY misleading.  Citizens of Palau and Micronesia do NOT need a visa to travel to the USA.  They are GUARANTEED entry due to what is called "Compact/Impact," because Palau and Micronesia were "US Trust Territories" from WW2, and part of granting them independence from the US was to guarantee their citizens unlimited access to the USA. 

8 hours ago, Moe428 said:

How does this rate work for Canada and countries with VWP?  Does it only report on those individuals that wanted to be in the US for longer than the maximum visa-free period?

2 hours ago, Albatross said:

VERY misleading.  Citizens of Palau and Micronesia do NOT need a visa to travel to the USA.  They are GUARANTEED entry due to what is called "Compact/Impact," because Palau and Micronesia were "US Trust Territories" from WW2, and part of granting them independence from the US was to guarantee their citizens unlimited access to the USA. 

The statistics are only for B visas. People who travel using the VWP are not included. People who do not need any document besides their passport (i.e. Canadians and US nationals (but not citizens)) are not included. It's only people who applied for a B-1 or B-2 visa at a consulate.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
2 hours ago, Albatross said:

Not guaranteed entry according to this document:  https://www.fsmgov.org/status.pdf

"Travel of Citizens of FSM OR RMI to the United States Citizens of the FSM and RMI by birth and those citizens of the former TTPI who acquired FSM or RMI citizenship in 1986 are entitled under the Compacts to travel and apply for admission to the United States as nonimmigrants without visas. However, admission is not guaranteed. Most grounds of inadmissibility under U.S. immigration laws, such as criminal convictions, are applicable. Page 2 www.uscis.gov If determined admissible under the Compacts, an FSM or RMI citizen may live, study and work in the United States. The United States has the right to set terms and conditions on the nonimmigrant stay of FSM and RMI citizens. Currently, they are granted an unlimited length of stay."

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Official non-immigrant visa statistics show a handful (high teens/low twenties per country)  of A and B visas issued last FY (2018) for Palau and Micronesia (these are by nationality not issuing post). For that year refusal rates were 71% for Palau and 100% for Micronesia ( had 2 B1 visas but no B2 visas issued that year).  So there are some cases that apparently do need visas. No idea how these compare to to total travelers per yer.

https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Statistics/Non-Immigrant-Statistics/NIVDetailTables/FY18NIVDetailTable.pdf

Obviously the categories that are both more reliable statistically and that most people here are interested  in are the countries where many people apply.  The main purpose of my posting this was to get some objective numbers out there, for when we get people making wild claims about 80% rejection rates for countries that actually have like 25% rates etc. 

50 minutes ago, geowrian said:

The statistics are only for B visas. People who travel using the VWP are not included. People who do not need any document besides their passport (i.e. Canadians and US nationals (but not citizens)) are not included. It's only people who applied for a B-1 or B-2 visa at a consulate.

Technically it’s actually only B2 visas according to the table heading but they are “adjusted”, I guess for the combined B1/B2 visas that are the most common ones issued.  Edit: actually the latest table does just say B visas, the previous ones were B2. Maybe that partly explains some of the change from previous year though I can’t imagine it’s a statistically significant impact.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.