SusieQQQ

New Healthcare Requirements for US Immigrants

1,033 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, missileman said:

Was that person denied due to the public charge rule...or was he denied for no health insurance?

I'm not sure. I just asked the person on the forum that shared that experience. I'll post it here when she replies

15 minutes ago, MIra3 said:

Hi guys is this policy still going into effect? Some websites online state court ruling against it? What’s the latest update on this policy? 

This particular requirement is still set to go into effect. No injunctions are in place against it at this time.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Albania
Timeline
On 10/4/2019 at 9:21 PM, Cathi said:

So how many here who are petitioning for relatives still think Trump's making America great again?

Asking for 320 million friends. 

https://www.vox.com/2019/10/4/20899610/trump-deny-visas-uninsured-low-income-immigrants

Mods feel free to move this if it's in the wrong forum.

I love this idea.  

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

For anyone who needs health care - look into HEALTH SHARES. There are lots of Christian ones and at least one Jewish one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_care_sharing_ministry

Here are a few:

Liberty Healthshare

Altrua Healthshare

Solidarity Healthshare

Charlotte Healthshare

United Refuah Healthshare

Filed: O-2 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
23 hours ago, KrisUSBound said:

For anyone who needs health care - look into HEALTH SHARES. There are lots of Christian ones and at least one Jewish one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_care_sharing_ministry

Here are a few:

Liberty Healthshare

Altrua Healthshare

Solidarity Healthshare

Charlotte Healthshare

United Refuah Healthshare

Interesting.

I could get insurance waivers if I affirm the Triune nature of God, affirm the divinity of Jesus, abstain from extramarital sex, drinking, tobacco and the occasional toke on the loco weed. Can Jews and Muslims get in on that?  Do we think this immigration law will accept this option?

Timeline
On 10/4/2019 at 6:21 PM, Cathi said:

So how many here who are petitioning for relatives still think Trump's making America great again?

Asking for 320 million friends. 

https://www.vox.com/2019/10/4/20899610/trump-deny-visas-uninsured-low-income-immigrants

Mods feel free to move this if it's in the wrong forum.

With or without Trump, the immigration restrictionist have a foot hold in Washington policy and Friends in high places. I am sure this policy is coming at the directive of Steven Miller, it has his fingerprints all over it. You can't get a visa because you are not insured, you can't get insurance because you are not a resident. Brilliant in it's Machiavellian glory.

Edited by 90DayFinancier

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I do not know how they apply this? they consider your budget ? with 30 days it is not easy to buy an insurance.

CR1

Texas Service Center

NOA1: 7/17/17

RFE: 3/5/18

RFE SENT: 5/3/18

RFE RECEIVED: 5/9/18

Approved: 5/25/18

Sent to NVC : 6/13/18

NVC received: 6/21/18

Case number: 7/19/2018

Pay AOS & IV fees: 7/19/18

CEAC shut down on 7/19/18 until 7/31/18

Ds-260 submitted 8/1/18

Civil and AOS package uploaded: 8/3/18

Case complete: 8/6/18

Timeline
The national law review is a reliable source of knowledge. This posting highlights some key points that would be your best FAQ for now. According to this article, the State department and DHHS still needs to provide the specifics. 

Note  that one could obtain a low cost catastrophic or a visitor health Insurance plan. That may open some new options for those who are worried.

Monday, October 14, 2019

According to a proclamation issued by President Donald Trump on October 4, 2019, the U.S. Department of State will begin issuing immigrant visas only to those foreign nationals who will have health insurance once admitted to the United States, or who can prove that they have the financial means to cover their own medical expenses.

Details about this new requirement are limited. The following is a summary of what we know so far:

When does the change go into effect?

The new requirement is scheduled to go into effect on November 3, 2019.

Who is affected?

The new health insurance requirement applies to foreign nationals who apply for an immigrant visa at a U.S. consulate. The requirement does not apply to, among others:

• foreign nationals with a valid immigrant visa issued before November 3, 2019;

• foreign nationals applying for adjustment of status in the United States;

• children of U.S. citizens;

• nonimmigrant visa applicants (H-1B, L-1, etc.); and

• asylum seekers or refugees.

What is changing?

Before a consular officer can adjudicate or issue an immigrant visa, the foreign national applicant must establish that he or she “will be covered by approved health insurance” within 30 days of admission into the United States, or demonstrate that he or she has “financial resources” to pay for “reasonably foreseeable medical costs.”

Approved health insurance coverage includes (but is not limited to):

• employer-sponsored plans;

• unsubsidized health plans (subsidized plans under the Affordable Care Act do not qualify);

• Medicare;

• short-term, limited-duration health policies;

• visitor health insurance plans;

• catastrophic plans;

• family members’ plans; and

• other plans deemed adequate by the Secretary of Health and Human Services.

What does all this mean in practice?

According to the proclamation, the State Department may establish standards and procedures for determining who meets the health insurance requirement. Until that happens, it is unclear what proof of health insurance immigrant visa applicants will be required to produce or what kind of training consular officers will receive to guide their determinations.

28 minutes ago, 90DayFinancier said:
The national law review is a reliable source of knowledge. This posting highlights some key points that would be your best FAQ for now. According to this article, the State department and DHHS still needs to provide the specifics. 

Note  that one could obtain a low cost catastrophic or a visitor health Insurance plan. That may open some new options for those who are worried.

Monday, October 14, 2019

According to a proclamation issued by President Donald Trump on October 4, 2019, the U.S. Department of State will begin issuing immigrant visas only to those foreign nationals who will have health insurance once admitted to the United States, or who can prove that they have the financial means to cover their own medical expenses.

Details about this new requirement are limited. The following is a summary of what we know so far:

When does the change go into effect?

The new requirement is scheduled to go into effect on November 3, 2019.

Who is affected?

The new health insurance requirement applies to foreign nationals who apply for an immigrant visa at a U.S. consulate. The requirement does not apply to, among others:

• foreign nationals with a valid immigrant visa issued before November 3, 2019;

• foreign nationals applying for adjustment of status in the United States;

• children of U.S. citizens;

• nonimmigrant visa applicants (H-1B, L-1, etc.); and

• asylum seekers or refugees.

What is changing?

Before a consular officer can adjudicate or issue an immigrant visa, the foreign national applicant must establish that he or she “will be covered by approved health insurance” within 30 days of admission into the United States, or demonstrate that he or she has “financial resources” to pay for “reasonably foreseeable medical costs.”

Approved health insurance coverage includes (but is not limited to):

• employer-sponsored plans;

• unsubsidized health plans (subsidized plans under the Affordable Care Act do not qualify);

• Medicare;

• short-term, limited-duration health policies;

• visitor health insurance plans;

• catastrophic plans;

• family members’ plans; and

• other plans deemed adequate by the Secretary of Health and Human Services.

What does all this mean in practice?

According to the proclamation, the State Department may establish standards and procedures for determining who meets the health insurance requirement. Until that happens, it is unclear what proof of health insurance immigrant visa applicants will be required to produce or what kind of training consular officers will receive to guide their determinations.

Just to add parent category is affected but not actually bound by the new rule to obtain healthcare proof, they just need to show ability to pay for health costs (what this means remains to be seen, but they do not have to produce proof of health coverage for visa interview).

15 hours ago, 90DayFinancier said:

Interesting.

I could get insurance waivers if I affirm the Triune nature of God, affirm the divinity of Jesus, abstain from extramarital sex, drinking, tobacco and the occasional toke on the loco weed. Can Jews and Muslims get in on that?  Do we think this immigration law will accept this option?

Sadly while these types of insurances somehow work for some when carefully allowed with state regulations, they are basically junk for many and in a lot of cases extremely risky. It has caused the potential death and prolonged suffering of many who signed up and had no idea the coverage was pretty bad. https://khn.org/news/sham-sharing-ministries-test-faith-of-patients-and-insurance-regulators/  https://www.wellsteps.com/blog/2019/01/06/medishare-insurance-medishare-review/  Some are a little more compliant for the ACA than others and some  are tailored towards those of different faiths.

As for immigration law compliance, well... it's hard to interpret the meaning of what such 'cost sharing' insurances could fall under. The 'proclamation' had the list but it's not extremely descriptive. Religious-based plans were found exempt from the ACA (so they didn't need to meet the ACA compliance test for being adequate). 

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.