SusieQQQ

New Healthcare Requirements for US Immigrants

1,033 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Gambia
Timeline

How do we prove that they will have health insurance exactly? A little bit confused. 

"Seek knowledge from the cradle to the grave." - Prophet Muhammad (SAW)

Filed: O-2 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
8 hours ago, wifidolly said:

How do we prove that they will have health insurance exactly? A little bit confused. 

The White House proclamation outlines the types of insurance acceptable and talks about showing the proof of the ability to obtain insurance within 30 days. We will need to wait on the State Department to provide the actual policy and guidance to the interviewer. I doubt this will go into affect Nov 3.

Hi all,

I'm hoping to get interview letter soon (CR1), but looking ahead regarding health insurance issue this is what i'm planning to do.

Hopefully someone has some insight if this is ok.

I'm writing a letter in which i'm showing my current health insurance cost vs the cost of adding my spouse to my employer-provided health insurance.

My I-864 financial documents can serve as an additional substantiation that i can afford the added costs.

I've spoken with the health insurance company, and they've confirmed i'm able to add my spouse once she comes into the U.S. as a 'Life Event', regardless of enrollment period

Timeline
21 minutes ago, Jon_G said:

Hi all,

I'm hoping to get interview letter soon (CR1), but looking ahead regarding health insurance issue this is what i'm planning to do.

Hopefully someone has some insight if this is ok.

I'm writing a letter in which i'm showing my current health insurance cost vs the cost of adding my spouse to my employer-provided health insurance.

My I-864 financial documents can serve as an additional substantiation that i can afford the added costs.

I've spoken with the health insurance company, and they've confirmed i'm able to add my spouse once she comes into the U.S. as a 'Life Event', regardless of enrollment period

It might be prudent to bring copies, although we need to see the actual guidance from State which is not here.

I just requested a letter from our health benefit center. They will provide me a personalize letter stating that my spouse will be eligible to be added to my health insurance via life event.

Spoiler

03/04/2019: Mailed I-130 Form to Phoenix lockbox.

03/06/2019: USCIS receives application/priority date.

03/08/2019: Credit card charge went pending.

03/12/2019: NOA1 Text – routed to SRC.

03/16/2019: NOA1 Physical Mail (Notice date 3/11/2019).

08/15/2019: NOA2 Email and Text.

08/20/2019: NOA2 Physical Mail.

08/30/2019: Case sent to NVC.

09/10/2019: NVC received case.

10/04/2019: Received email case creation and paid AOS & IV fees.

10/09/2019: Uploaded and submitted all documents required to NVC.

10/17/2019: Received email that there was a change on our case. I checked and all documents were approved.

10/18/2019: Received email that we are Documentarily Qualified.

10/24/2019: Received immigrant visa interview appointment via email.

Timeline
2 hours ago, artcodex said:

I think it's better to be safe then sorry but based on everything I've seen I think they will have delays rolling this out beyond lawsuits that may come up too.

I have not seen a lawsuit yet, but I expect a challenge once the policy drops.

Timeline
11 minutes ago, artcodex said:

I wouldn't be surprised if rollout is delayed just for procedural reasons too like the dos public charge changes.

One of my largest beefs with this administration is how hamhanded they are with this type of change. They seem uninterested or even energized by the disruption and worry the process of these types of changes bring.

They either don't know how to implement policy or they don't care.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Not saying that it's true of this proposal, but some/several "Trump" immigration plans existed already (put through by the Obama administration or previously) and had not been enforced.  Some Federal judge in California or elsewhere can always be counted on to put a stop to just about anything that this administration proposes, whether the proposal predates this administration or not.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Policies and implementations are very different creatures. I can agree with a policy but hate how it is implemented. There's a lot of that going on right now IMHO.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
1 hour ago, geowrian said:

Policies and implementations are very different creatures. I can agree with a policy but hate how it is implemented. There's a lot of that going on right now IMHO.

We don't even have a policy todate, just a Presidential proclamation. The expectation that these things can feasibly be implemented in 30 days is insane.

15 minutes ago, 90DayFinancier said:

We don't even have a policy todate, just a Presidential proclamation. The expectation that these things can feasibly be implemented in 30 days is insane.

True. My bet is actual policies were not even in discussion at the time it was made.

Maybe I should have said concepts instead of just policies. I'm personally for requiring the insurance (unless possibly there are very, very significant assets), but there's too few details at this time so it invites chaos and confusion. A better approach, IMO, would have been to work with the healthcare exchanges to first put in a process so new immigrants would at least have that as an option available for a sort of "pre-enroll" - to go into effect upon entry on the visa. Then there would be no issue other than costs (which is a big issue still, but it at least leaves an option available for those who can't join the petitioner's plan and would be verifiable before the visa is issued).

Anyway, the point is there were options to do this much better but it appears to have been pushed through instead of planned with other agencies on how to implement it.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
3 hours ago, geowrian said:

True. My bet is actual policies were not even in discussion at the time it was made.

Maybe I should have said concepts instead of just policies. I'm personally for requiring the insurance (unless possibly there are very, very significant assets), but there's too few details at this time so it invites chaos and confusion. A better approach, IMO, would have been to work with the healthcare exchanges to first put in a process so new immigrants would at least have that as an option available for a sort of "pre-enroll" - to go into effect upon entry on the visa. Then there would be no issue other than costs (which is a big issue still, but it at least leaves an option available for those who can't join the petitioner's plan and would be verifiable before the visa is issued).

Anyway, the point is there were options to do this much better but it appears to have been pushed through instead of planned with other agencies on how to implement it.

You nailed it. "They" should bring you into the inner sanctum of cognicentie  and listen to your wisdom. I doubt that will happen. 

Question: why does some randos on the internet seem to understand how to implement a new federal policy (mas o menos ) but the duly elected and vetted officials in the White House do not?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Only a week before the proclamation goes into effect. Has anybody actually filed a suit to stop it? 

On another note, I'm thinking of petitioning for a green card for my wife around this time next year. So it'll be two years before we have that visa interview, and hopefully the guidelines will be clearer by then.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.